How can we improve Azure Backup?

Enable Full Backup/Bare Metal Recovery with Azure Backup Standalone (no DPM)

Enhance Azure Backup to be able to support Bare Metal Recovery, Full Image backups.

NOTE: This is without the use/requirement of DPM.
Please refer to the following UserVoice suggestion: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/258995-azure-backup-and-scdpm/suggestions/6874594-bmr-thru-azure-backup#{toggle_previous_statuses}.

206 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Adin Ermie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently there is support available for backing up System State using just the MARS Agent to recover to the same/similar hardware in case of server or software malfunction.

We wanted to understand the scenarios where a full server recovery cannot be achieved using Azure Site Recovery. Please share your feedback so we can review and plan this accordingly.

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For SMB customers who don't have the resources to setup an Enterprise Infrastructure. It is absolutely necessary to have the ability to take an on-premise server and protect the entire machine. Being able to do a BMR, System State and File Level protection (like Windows Server Backup) but save the resulting data to Azure is a must have. Other products like Acronis, and others (your competition) already have this feature set and have for some time.

• S. Sims commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to add to this following my review of Azure Backup direct to Azure after the addition of system state backup in the new preview late May 2017. From my perspective this is a requirement for many of our customers that only have one or 2 on premise servers and don't have the technical staff on site to deal with the management of tape rotation not to mention the added cost for a tape solution for just 2 servers is not comparable to the potential cost saving from using Azure for BMR. From my customer base you'd see a huge increase in small business networks moving to Azure, without it there's no interest in just system state and files and folders which isn't going to support a full disaster recovery scenario.

• Fadi_AU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see BMR restores in Azure to allow us to perform a full Active Directory forest recovery using on-premise backups.

• Mark Berry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure Team, please clarify, "The restores will always be for full copies." Does this mean there is no selective file/folder restore when you do a bare metal image?

My thought is to use local Windows Server backup for primary backup but add Azure backup for disaster recovery (local backups stolen or destroyed). Besides local restore, this should allow a relatively fast restore of the on-prem machine to an Azure cloud VM.

• Austin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Azure. In my case I want this for on-prem systems. physical and virtual. My current scheme is Biweekly full with daily incrementalist, why couldn't that be achieved with your product? I understand that the ARM approach to infrastructure should make SS/BMR unnecessary, but legacy systems remain. Azure BU w/ SS/BMR would be huge for my business from a compliance and consolidation perspective.

Feedback and Knowledge Base