Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

How can we improve Azure Backup?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure Client Backup - Battery

If I have laptops on the road then those staff members might be generating data that needs to be protected. With modern machines they might have 8+ hours of battery life. For some roaming users, that's 2 days of data being created ... and not being protected by Azure Online Backup. It sounds like there is a false expectancy that users diligently plug in such devices every night - I know one person who charges her Ultrabook once or maybe twice per week.

Please give us the option to backup roaming devices while on battery. Maybe add in an option…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add capability to backup Barracuda NG Firewall Appliances

Backups never succeed their first backup, the agent never seems to install properly on the VM.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Recover IaaS VM back to on premise

For regulatory reasons we need access to historic backups. If for any reason we move away from Azure I need to know I can still access them so I would like to be given the option to recover the VM to an on premise location.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. FC

Would like to see something similar to HP Data Protection manager were backups are able to write from HOST to Backup Solution (Tape or Disk) instead of having to be routed through the DPM Management Server. In this scenario backups could use Fiber Channel connection from Host to Backups Solution (HP StoreOnce).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Solve that Azure Backup agent resets the online retention policy to default

We have found that for some reason when the Azure Backup agent doesn’t agree with our settings for backup times/recovery points, the settings are reset to their default values.
    When we set these backup times, it reverts to the default schedule without any warning. You’ll find out about this the next time you change the protection group.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Restore client software for restore files to other computer by non-administrator.

I want the Restore client software for restore files from Azure Backup Storage to other computer by non-administrator.
    "other computer" mean computers other than Azure Backup's computers.
    "non-administrator" mean users without target computer's administrator premissions.
    Duaring a disaster, We want to restore files from Azure Backup's storage by non-administrator user without installing Azure Backup Agent to target computer.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add end-time of a job in job-list / add duration in job details

It is good to see the time which a job consumed for several jobs at once, but please add "end-time" as a column in the job-list. The end-time is only listed in the details of a job. In the details, the duration is missing.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow recovery in another server without VaultCredentials

I wanted to create an automated daily recovery (powershell) in another server, then found out that I needed VaultCredentials. Would be great if I could use somekind of VaultCredentials with longer-than 2-day expiry

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Protect only the definitions of a SQL database

If you have one or more big databases and only need the definitions to be backuped (because the data is filled from other databases which are yet protected), then you could save a lot of storage space - and time.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. add metrics like capacity to back up like in Azure Storage

when we back up servers we need to notify about exceeding capacity

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Better error messages in recovery services

I'm getting error messages like:

Please retry the operation in a few minutes. If the problem persists, contact Microsoft Support.

Trying to create a support ticket isn't possible because you need to pay for support, even for internal errors... An already paying customer shouldn't need to pay for support when Microsoft didn't implement correct and meaningful error messages, especially not when it says 'internal' error...

Something like this shouldn't be on UserVoice it shouldn't be needed to vote on, it's standard...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Azure Recover Service

I am currently testing the Recover Service to backup Azure based servers and have discovered that the agent has a requirement for the server to not have FIPS encryption setting turned on (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FIPSAlgorithmPolicy\Enabled = 1)

Turning this off reduces the security posture of the server and goes against our standard and security team requirements. Considering this is a show stopper for us is there any consideration to changing the requirement for FIPS to be turned off?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Present retention weeks/months/years in Azure Recovery Services Agent dashboard/startpage (wabadmin.msc)

Currently only days are presented, which is misleading.. See attached file.

Small things matter, this minor improvement would be nice :)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Azure VM Level Backup - Shut Down original VM before starting up restored VM

Azure VM Level Backups (announced March 26th, 2015) include a restore step that starts a VM with the same computer name on the network as the original VM. I recommend adding a checkbox that prompts the user whether they want the original VM shut down or turned off, as this would avoid having two computers on the network with the same computer name. Or in a batch environment, you would not want a batch to be fired off on two systems as this could contaminate data.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Update The Azure Storage Valut Dashboard Page quick glance to show the download of the tools for client backups

Now that Azure backup supports backing up of clients, I'd like to see the Storage Vault's Dashboard page updated to show the download of the agent for clients. The dashboard page currently shows just downloading tools for the client. See the attached file az1.png)s to see a screen shot of the page I am talking about.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Formal workaround for standalone 'server' Backup Vault name collisions.

I want to backup files from lots of standalone (non-domain) Windows 2008+ servers and Windows 7 workstations distributed across many independent sites to a single subscription within our EA Azure, however there are too many identically named computers names to put one in each of the maximum 25 Backup Vaults in a single subscription. Spreading them across multiple subscriptions will make the overall management in Azure too difficult. It is not logistically or culturally feasible to fix this problem by neatly renaming the computers to have new unique names.

I see two potential solutions:

1) Getting these computers to talk…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add better logs to Windows Azure Backup Manager

When a warning is raised in the Event Log, the associated Details tab contains very little information. For example, I am getting Error code 1073841907. What does it mean, where can I look it up?
    The logs (.Errlog) are even more cryptic. Add a decent log, not something that is useful only to the product team.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Backup on-premises SQL DB to Azure, restore the DB to a SQL server running in an IaaS VM

I want to backup on-premises SQL DBs to Azure and restore them to an Azure IaaS VM which has SQL server installed in it

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Backup

Feedback and Knowledge Base