Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

How can we improve Azure Backup?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Segregation of Duties / Restrict ability to DELETE Backup Vault

In our main Azure instance we are backing up our on Prem VMs and our Cloud VMs. The concern is the Domain Admins have the ability to delete ALL our VMs both on Prem and in the Cloud and then proceed to delete the Azure Vault. We would like the ability to granularly control permission so that a user does not have the capability to Delete a Backup Vault. This doesn't appear to be a level control we can find within Azure without moving to a new Azure instance which adds other complications

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Security and Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SharePoint Backup with Item Level Recovery

Please add SharePoint Backup. Also, when this is introduced it would be nice to have item level recovery built in so we do not have to restore an entire content database to retrieve one file.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support Volume Sizes That are higher than 1.7TB In Windows 2008 Server.

It looks like Azure Backup does not work with Volume Sizes that are higher than 1.7TB on Windows server 2008 R2 SP1. Many companies are still using Windows server 2008 out there and they would welcome this feature. Now it's available on Server 2012. Thanks.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure Backup Agent for QNAP

This backup agent should only transfer over the wire the changed bits of a modified file.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Backup the Azure Virtual Machine to different region's Vault

I want to save the cost of backup, and want to save from the disaster.

I want to backup my Azure Virtual Machines on West Japan region
    to Azure Backup Vault on East Japan region.
    and set the Azure Backup Vault's configure replication to LRS.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Comments tab on the protected Items page

We have a situation where we are looking at backing up servers from multiple schools.

The problem is most our schools servers are all called the same, for example "schserv01"

When installing the backup agent and it is then registered and protected in Azure, we have multiple servers all showing up with the same name "schserv01" Now we do not know which one is for which school...

We can't rename the server, So would it be possible to have a comments section on the protected items page within the portal, that way we could comment which each server is. Better…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Snapshot backup at VHD level

There is an option to take snapshot backup in AWS which will take VHD level backup like wise in Azure, there is no option to take root drive backup. It would be better if we have snapshot backup at VHD level (root drive), because it is really helpful when we plan for patching activity for Windows VMs

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Security roles in Azure Backup

The ability to restrict vault credentials to certain operations would be extremely useful from a security standpoint. Right now, Azure Backup can protect against accidental or non-malicious data loss, but its ability to protect against intended data destruction is limited. If the underlying server Azure Backup is running on is compromised, an attacker can simply delete all of the backups for that system. This makes Azure's utility as a replacement for traditional physical off-site backups (e.g. tape drives) much less useful.

Being able to assign "roles" to vault credentials would be one way to solve this. For example, a role…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Security and Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support restoring while retaining original VHD filenames

Azure VM level backups rename the source vhd into a random filename. When we restore VM from backup, the new VM doesn't retain the original names. We have a use case where we would like to use RM templates to deploy replica dev/test environments from Prod backups. Currently that is not possible without a lot of coding to parse the backup xml file to identify which vhds are assigned to which LUNs. Is there a better way to implement this use case or is there a feature in planning to allow us to retain original filenames?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. backup

I tested Azure a year ago and was very disappointed because your tutorials were never up-to-date and the portal was slow.

So I return after a year and altough the portal is a little bit quicker, the tutorials are still laughable and the instructions never line up with what I see in the portal.

I've spent an hour trying to find the Azure Online Backup feature, it should be in "Recovery Services" but of course there's no such thing in the portal I see at least. And this Windows Azure Online Backup Agent that you're talking about is nowhere to…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Intelligence pack for Operational Insights (monitoring of the backup)

We would like to have an Intelligence Pack for Azure Backup for Azure Operational Insights so we could centralise the monitoring with Azure Operational Insights.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Retry to Backup process

While doing backup on protected items, we saw an inconsistent backup of VMs. We use Recovery Service -> Backup Vault. In case of failure , there is no retry for taking backups. And there is no new notification features available to administrator which can help us to understand that there is a failure. If notified in right time, administrator can go and invoke backup manually.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Coordinated Multi-VM Backups

Multi-VM systems like SharePoint really need the same effect as Consistency Groups on a SAN. VMware (sorry, I forget the specific name of the tech) has the ability to take VSS-quiesced VM snapshots on multiple VMs in conjunction with a Consistency Group (LUN) snapshot on the SAN. This is an important foundation of their SRM product, since it provides app-consistent snapshots of all servers in the consistency group at the exact same point in time. If we can get multiple VMs VSS-quiesced at the same point in time, then that would be ideal. It would provide a compelling reason to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Slow backup time at azure Backup on Windows Server 2012

Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 R2, 47 MB backup finished in about 4 minutes. But, Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012, 47 MB backup takes about 25 minutes and quit.
    Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 slower backup time rather than Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 R2.
    Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2, Microsoft Azure Recovery Service Agent version uses 2.0.8707.0.

Check Japan blogs below for more information (please translate to English as button to translate).

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Deduplication/difference upload based on stored image

It would be great to have an option to upload a system image and have the backup client only upload the difference between the local system and an image stored in Azure.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to name a backup job

I would like to name my backup in the client and have it appear in the portal.

Example: I'm backing up a specific folder(s) of D:\ not the whole drive. The entry in the portal could make others (or myself at a later date) believe D:\ is being backed up.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Backup to on-premises storage

We'd like to see the option of being able to back up data from Azure to On-Premises data stores - long term data. Short term would be nice as well, but would of course require a lot of bandwidth.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Would like to extend the maximum number of recovery points to something greater then 64

I would like to have more recovery points for a retention range to be greater the 64

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Install VM Agent when registering a VM for new VM Level Backup Feature

Since VM Agent is required for the new VM Level Backup feature to work, the recovery services register wizard should either provide a hyperlink to a TechNet article on how to manually install the VM Agent, or it should run the powershell command to set ProvisionGuestAgent value to true using Powershell or a REST call.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Detailed usage report showned in both OMS and Azure Backup

I would like to see a drill down usage report and diagram for Azure Backup. I would also be nice to see the level of compression (DeDupe) that is done within the cloud on the backup storage.

This will provide better insight into customers usage at a detailed level for each virtual machine or disk level

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Backup

Feedback and Knowledge Base