Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure Backup RHEL Linux 8 install all required dependencies

Ensure that when enabling Azure Backup for IaaS VM's that all required components are installed to allow the backup agent to run as expected. Currently the Linux Backup Agent is installed, but it requires Python 2.6.6+ to run. The RHEL 8 template does not have Python installed whereas prior to RHEL 8 Python is installed (at least in the RHEL 7.6 that I had also tried).

Also the backup scripts for Linux are python scripts that need to be downloaded and run, they appear to be Python 2.x syntax which does not run if Python 3.x is installed.

In general…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Recovery Services vault services not sent any alert to user when MARS agent server is down or not reachable

Customer not receiving alerts when backup is not available when Server is down or not reachable. No alerts sent to user where MARS agent registered with vault and suddenly backup stopped working since 10 days and customer come to know server is also down. We don't have information why backup is not triggered.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "SQL Server In Azure VM" AUTOPROTECT Feature To Filter (User DBs, system DBs, etc)

The AutoProtect enablement is an all-or-nothing concept. In comparison the old SQL Management Job Creation Wizard creates a backup job with options like "Include UserDbs only".

We should be able to filter the AutoProtect feature similarly. It should enable auto backups of databases, but not everything on the server like "model" and "master"

Options for filtering:
    * UserDbs
    * manual exclusion list
    * manual inclusion list based on pattern.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Separate backup jobs within MARS Agent

Separate backup jobs within MARS Agent. Currently, there is only one backup job that can be created within the MARS Agent. We should have the ability to create several different jobs with various schedules and data sets to back up. Not all data can be backed up at the same time. It would also make it a bit easier to restore as in not having to mount the VHDX file that stores all the data sets backed up.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Update MARS agent system state backup process

Please update step by step process, what happens in backend when perform system state backup. Its confusing when see system state backup showing as local backup

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Selectively delete backups, and choice to delete backups without 14 days retention

There are instances whereby we want a complete/selective deletion of backup data without the 14 days retention policy. Currently, when I choose to backup a particular folder on my server using the MARS agent, and decide that I want a complete wipe of that data from Azure, I have to stop the backup policy and wait for 14 days for total deletion. In-between these 14 days, I'm stuck without an option to backup to Azure if I require a clean slate.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Azure VPN gateway should support MARS agent backup

Currently, Azure VPN gateway only support IaaS service, like Azure VM. We hope Azure VPN gateway can support MARS agent backup.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Require a Security PIN to Reduce any retention settings.

Require a Security PIN to reduce any retention ranges. In certain cyber attack scenarios where Ransomware infects a server, a cyber attacker could penetrate the environment, and open the Azure Backup MARS software and edit the retention range down to 7 day minimum. The attacker could then encrypt portions of the network, and initiate backups to overwrite and purge good data. Over holidays such as Christmas, 7 days might not be enough time to realize a breach has occured.
    Currently AzureBackup is a fantastic protection against Ransomware, however we have seen Human hackers enter the network and seek out backup…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add MAB (MARS) support to Get-AzRecoveryServicesBackupJob

"Get Jobs cmdlet doesn't support MAB workloads. Even though the APIs support it, but the PowerShell module only supports AzureVM, AzureFiles, and AzureWorkload today."

Please add support.

https://github.com/Azure/azure-powershell/issues/9263

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Implement CLI command that can export/import an entire Key Vault to a file.

If a customer wants to backup or restore the contents of a key vault, the customer is forced to export/import keys, secrets and certificates one by one.

There should be an Azure CLI command to export a Key Vault in its entirety, and the same with import, something like:

az keyvault backup --file <FileName> --vault-name <VaultName>

az keyvault restore --file <FileName> --vault-name <VaultName>

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show expiry time of file share backups in portal and PowerShell

When creating a file share backup in the portal (see attached screenshot) or via PowerShell (with the cmdlet Backup-AzRecoveryServicesBackupItem and the parameter -ExpiryDateTimeUTC) a retention date is set. I would like to be able to view this date in the portal and with the PowerShell cmdlet Get-AzRecoveryServicesBackupRecoveryPoint.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add restore point overview to file share backups in RSV

When looking at a VM backup in a Recovery Services Vault there is an overview of the available restore points (see attached screenshot). I would like to have the same overview when looking at a file share backup in the RSV.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. There is no detail on "Resource Group". What's this and what to choose?

When I tried to enable backup, there is this item "Resource Group" but there is no documentation of what is this and what to choose, when I clicked Learn More.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/azure/backup/backup-azure-vms-first-look-arm

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I would like to request to add column "Backup Size" as per attached document in the Azure VM Backup Job dashboard in the Azure portal.

I would like to request to add column "Backup Size" as per attached document in the Azure VM Backup Job dashboard in the Azure portal.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Missing volume prevents schedule changes to be made

After a disk/volume dies backups fail. I want to be able to change the schedule without having to recreate the missing volume and all of the paths. I moved the files to another drive but cannot modify the schedule.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Recovery Vault - per VM storage consumption stats

Currently i have a mix of VMs from different business units in a single Vault, due to a bad decision made by a predecessor. Because of our retention policies i cant delete the data. Therefore a method to retrieve the usage per VM is needed to cross charge the usage.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow custom naming of Azure Backup Restore Point Collection RG

Allow us to rename the resource group for Azure Backup Restore Point Collection to match our naming conventions.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. RBAC roles for backup and restore

Currently it is not possible to fine-grain a role with permissions to allow specific users to perform a backup/restore separately from creating virtual machines.

We have several teams that should be able to perform their own backup/restore, but they are unable to do so because that implies a security risk where they could also deploy virtual machines manually.

There are situations like ours where people are only allowed to deploy virtual machines which adhere to security measures taken on an OS level, and thus should not be able to deploy virtual machines without them.
    However, being able to perform a…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Easiest way to Migrate GroupWise mailboxes into Exchange server

Many Groupwise users migrate their mailbox into Exchange because the Exchange server provides better services and regular updates as compared to Novell Groupwise. To perform a reliable Groupwise to Exchange migration, Shoviv Groupwise to Exchange migrator is a perfect choice. Using this wondering tool you efficiently migrate Groupwise archive as well as public folder directly into Exchange server public folder and archive mailbox. The tool is uniquely designed to meet the user's migration demands by granting them an efficient environment where they can easily achieve a hassle-free migration of multiple mailboxes with selective data items. Using its trial version, users…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. azure vm backup policy - implement daylight saving time

Hello,

Unfortunately, summer time is not supported. Please refer below.

I want this feature because creating a backup strategy for a complete Azure infrastructure can be a big problem. It already makes sure that the backup runs at 2:00 o'clock or at 3:00 o'clock.

Many Greetings
    Fabrice

No. The date and time on your local computer is local with current daylight savings applied. The time set for scheduled backups might differ from the local time due to DST.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-vm-backup-faq#does-the-backup-policy-consider-daylight-saving-time-dst

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base