Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Your IP range for the Backup Agent is incomplete. When running against the central us region we found it needed to connect to different rang

Your IP range for the Backup Agent is incomplete. When running against the central us region we found it needed to connect to different set of ranges including.

The following is a summary of connections from the Agent to Azure from a proxy server we used to capture the traffic. Could you update the documentation to include the IP ranges needed for outbound connections?

login.windows.net:443 HIERDIRECT/40.126.0.65
    login.windows.net:443 HIER
    DIRECT/40.126.0.66
    login.windows.net:443 HIERDIRECT/40.126.0.67
    DIRECT/40.126.0.68
    login.windows.net:443 HIERDIRECT/40.126.0.70
    DIRECT/40.126.0.72
    login.windows.net:443 HIERDIRECT/40.126.0.73
    DIRECT/40.126.0.74
    pod01-manag1.cus.backup.windowsazure.com:443 HIERDIRECT/13.89.171.143
    pod01-mon1.cus.backup.windowsazure.com:443 HIER
    DIRECT/13.89.171.135
    pod01-prot1.cus.backup.windowsazure.com:443 HIERDIRECT/13.89.171.138
    pod01-tel1.cus.backup.windowsazure.com:443 HIER
    DIRECT/13.89.171.137 …

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make it easier to delete Recovery Services Vaults used for backup

If I backup an IaaS VM, I can't delete the vault for 14 days due to the soft-delete feature.

I can understand the motivation - to avoid accidental deletion.

However, this is a huge pain point in testing / training scenarios. We need the ability to fully clean up a test / training environment and start over.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. You need to give us the option to delete backups before 14 days

I am building a pipeline to automate the backup config process which requires running the pipeline many times for testing which in turn requires deleting the vault many times, this 14 days lock really does not do me any good for this use case.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Involving Azure backup data uploaded by DPM to backup report using Power BI.

We have several on-premise DPM servers where the online backup is activated therefore the backup data is uploaded to the Azure monthly basis. We are testing Power BI to generate Azure backup report, but unfortunately, the backup reports using PowerBI for Data Protection Manager aren't supported at this time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SCDPM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Command Line to restore deleted VM backup with soft delete enabled

What is equivalent command line to restore deleted VM backup items ?
    azure powershell
    azure cli
    rest api

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Administrative Management on Soft Delete on Backup

There are instances where customer would like to purge the previous Backup Data and start afresh but the limitation to trigger new Backup after 14 days do not let them to suffice the requirement. Also, if we want to change the recovery service vault to configure new Backup, it doesn't allow it to configure instantly and hence, it would be highly recommended to provide administrative access on soft delete if it can be disabled to configure new backup and then can be re-enabled.

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Restore to secondary region

Currently Azure Backup supports to restoring only to same region, and if GRS vaults were to be selected, restore to the secondary region is allowed only after primary region becomes unavailable. (Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect)

It would be good to be able to restore to the secondary region without the requirement the primary region becoming unavailable. This would save us from manually replicating some data (Azure Files especially) for DR purposes.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Deduplicated disks support

Add Support for the deduplicated disk in Azure VM Backup.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Specify alert mail for Recovery Services vault Data deletion

Currently, when we delete Azure Backup data in Recovery Services vault, the alert Email will be received within the subscription range.
    We want to specify this Email address. Because we can specify alert Email address, Email will not be sent to unrelated accounts on subscription.
    And we can avoid the impact of sending information to accounts that don’t need alert emails due to security issues.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow for editing a MARS backup schedule from the Azure Portal

At present it is not possible to edit a backup schedule of a MARS-protected server from the Azure Portal - it must be done on-premise. This is not ideal for a number of reasons, chiefly that either remote or physical access is required in order to edit something as simple as a backup schedule or which folders are protected.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Available backups is not showing the backup list

In manage backup , when the blade is expanded it shows configure policies and available backups. But when we click on Available backups it never gives the data., even though it has old backups.When click on restore it has the old backup

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. File Consistant to App consistant now always Crash Consistant?

My backups were alternating from file/app consistent to now always crash consistent. Can someone tell me what causes this change? What is the ideal backup consistency? Can I control the consistency? Thanks - SNS

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. update pricing calculator to include support for multiple yearly RPs in a single year

The Backup policy supports creating yearly RPs every month Jan-Dec.
    The pricing calculator assumes only 1 restore point per year.

Please add a box to the calculator that allows us to calculate costs when there is more than yearly RPs is generated.

Do both of these options require the same amount of total storage at a steady state?
    Option 1: 30d 04w 84m 00yr = Storage
    Option 2: 30d 04w 12m 7yr (yrly snapshot for all 12 mo) = Storage

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow Microsoft Azure Backup app to see full path when selecting Volumes

We use Microsoft Azure Backup Server on-premise to backup VMs and other servers on-site.
    If we use Microsoft Azure Backup to try to restore data, for instance individual files from an Online backup, when try selecting the Volume/Data, all we can see is a tiny bit of the path.
    We see "C:\Program" instead of the full path that is similar to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Azure Backup\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_GUID.
    So, we have to pick one entry and let it show the available dates and hope that it is the right one -- we can see the full path on the "Browse And Recover…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Azure Backup RHEL Linux 8 install all required dependencies

Ensure that when enabling Azure Backup for IaaS VM's that all required components are installed to allow the backup agent to run as expected. Currently the Linux Backup Agent is installed, but it requires Python 2.6.6+ to run. The RHEL 8 template does not have Python installed whereas prior to RHEL 8 Python is installed (at least in the RHEL 7.6 that I had also tried).

Also the backup scripts for Linux are python scripts that need to be downloaded and run, they appear to be Python 2.x syntax which does not run if Python 3.x is installed.

In general…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Recovery Services vault services not sent any alert to user when MARS agent server is down or not reachable

Customer not receiving alerts when backup is not available when Server is down or not reachable. No alerts sent to user where MARS agent registered with vault and suddenly backup stopped working since 10 days and customer come to know server is also down. We don't have information why backup is not triggered.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. "SQL Server In Azure VM" AUTOPROTECT Feature To Filter (User DBs, system DBs, etc)

The AutoProtect enablement is an all-or-nothing concept. In comparison the old SQL Management Job Creation Wizard creates a backup job with options like "Include UserDbs only".

We should be able to filter the AutoProtect feature similarly. It should enable auto backups of databases, but not everything on the server like "model" and "master"

Options for filtering:
    * UserDbs
    * manual exclusion list
    * manual inclusion list based on pattern.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Separate backup jobs within MARS Agent

Separate backup jobs within MARS Agent. Currently, there is only one backup job that can be created within the MARS Agent. We should have the ability to create several different jobs with various schedules and data sets to back up. Not all data can be backed up at the same time. It would also make it a bit easier to restore as in not having to mount the VHDX file that stores all the data sets backed up.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Update MARS agent system state backup process

Please update step by step process, what happens in backend when perform system state backup. Its confusing when see system state backup showing as local backup

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Selectively delete backups, and choice to delete backups without 14 days retention

There are instances whereby we want a complete/selective deletion of backup data without the 14 days retention policy. Currently, when I choose to backup a particular folder on my server using the MARS agent, and decide that I want a complete wipe of that data from Azure, I have to stop the backup policy and wait for 14 days for total deletion. In-between these 14 days, I'm stuck without an option to backup to Azure if I require a clean slate.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base