Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug: Typo on Backup Vault configuration page

There is a typo on the Backup Vault -> Configure page for the storage replication's tool-tip, where it says: "The Geo-Redundant option maintains 3 copies of your data locally and 3 copties in a secondary storage region." As you can see the copies is misspelled the second time as "copties".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure backup of Azure IaaS VM to a different region

It would be ideal if we could push the Azure backup of our Azure IaaS Vms to a different region. This would give people a lot more peace of mind in the event of a datacentre failure.

269 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  8 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Slow backup time at azure Backup on Windows Server 2012

Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 R2, 47 MB backup finished in about 4 minutes. But, Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012, 47 MB backup takes about 25 minutes and quit.
    Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 slower backup time rather than Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 R2.
    Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2, Microsoft Azure Recovery Service Agent version uses 2.0.8707.0.

Check Japan blogs below for more information (please translate to English as button to translate).

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Recover IaaS VM back to on premise

For regulatory reasons we need access to historic backups. If for any reason we move away from Azure I need to know I can still access them so I would like to be given the option to recover the VM to an on premise location.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Automatically upgrade MARS via Windows Update

We have had frequent updates of the MARS agent in the last few months. The last update is required for accurate pricing based on the April 2015 changes. But there is little to prompt admins to do this. There needs to be automatic (manually prompting adds unwanted and unnecessary work) upgrades of the agents.

296 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  5 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to backup Azure Automation runbooks with Azure Backup

We would like to have the ability to backup "Azure Automation runbooks" with the Azure Backup service.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. "Agent Version" Column at "Registered items" list in Azure portal web sites.

I want to manage Azure Backup Agent Version of All Registered items in azure portal web sites.
    If the "Registered items" list have the "Agent Version" column, I can verify all agent version of our servers, and can update older agents.

Scenario : Azure Backup start new price from 4/1/2015.
    and, the Azure Backup Agent version for new price need "2.0.8704.0".
    I need to find older Azure Backup Agent, and update it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Intelligence pack for Operational Insights (monitoring of the backup)

We would like to have an Intelligence Pack for Azure Backup for Azure Operational Insights so we could centralise the monitoring with Azure Operational Insights.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Azure VM Level Backup - Shut Down original VM before starting up restored VM

Azure VM Level Backups (announced March 26th, 2015) include a restore step that starts a VM with the same computer name on the network as the original VM. I recommend adding a checkbox that prompts the user whether they want the original VM shut down or turned off, as this would avoid having two computers on the network with the same computer name. Or in a batch environment, you would not want a batch to be fired off on two systems as this could contaminate data.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Install VM Agent when registering a VM for new VM Level Backup Feature

Since VM Agent is required for the new VM Level Backup feature to work, the recovery services register wizard should either provide a hyperlink to a TechNet article on how to manually install the VM Agent, or it should run the powershell command to set ProvisionGuestAgent value to true using Powershell or a REST call.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Backup to on-premises storage

We'd like to see the option of being able to back up data from Azure to On-Premises data stores - long term data. Short term would be nice as well, but would of course require a lot of bandwidth.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Disable Azure Backup at "Public" Network Category of Network Profile.

I want to enable Azure Backup at "Private" network category's network profile internet connection.
    and want to disable it at "Public" network category.

Private = my organization's Wi-Fi, network.
    Public = mobile like at airport's Wi-Fi, like at Coffee shop through my smartphone.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Security and Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Disable Azure Backup at Narrow Network bandwitdh

I want to disable Azure Backup at narrow network bandwidth,
    and enable it at width network bandwidth.
    Narrow = under 1 Gbps, like 3G, 4G, ...
    Wide = over 1 Gbps. like Wi-Fi, ...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Security and Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Formal workaround for standalone 'server' Backup Vault name collisions.

I want to backup files from lots of standalone (non-domain) Windows 2008+ servers and Windows 7 workstations distributed across many independent sites to a single subscription within our EA Azure, however there are too many identically named computers names to put one in each of the maximum 25 Backup Vaults in a single subscription. Spreading them across multiple subscriptions will make the overall management in Azure too difficult. It is not logistically or culturally feasible to fix this problem by neatly renaming the computers to have new unique names.

I see two potential solutions:

1) Getting these computers to talk…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Restore client software for restore files to other computer by non-administrator.

I want the Restore client software for restore files from Azure Backup Storage to other computer by non-administrator.
    "other computer" mean computers other than Azure Backup's computers.
    "non-administrator" mean users without target computer's administrator premissions.
    Duaring a disaster, We want to restore files from Azure Backup's storage by non-administrator user without installing Azure Backup Agent to target computer.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Deduplication/difference upload based on stored image

It would be great to have an option to upload a system image and have the backup client only upload the difference between the local system and an image stored in Azure.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Azure Recover Service

I am currently testing the Recover Service to backup Azure based servers and have discovered that the agent has a requirement for the server to not have FIPS encryption setting turned on (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FIPSAlgorithmPolicy\Enabled = 1)

Turning this off reduces the security posture of the server and goes against our standard and security team requirements. Considering this is a show stopper for us is there any consideration to changing the requirement for FIPS to be turned off?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make Consitency Check jobs Faster

Time taken by Consistency check jobs have been always a pain when it comes to enterprise level backups with huge Datasources and high amount of churn. i have seen CC jobs going for days failing and restarting. We can only expect the data to grow in future which calls for a better solution for these CC jobs

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Offer a reduced cost simple server backup facility

As a home/home office user with quick fibre broadband, I would love to be able to use the Azure Backup plugin for Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2, but the costs are simply prohibitive. A simple backup plan with large capacities but limited redundancy (as this backup is the offsite plan for local backups anyway) would be ideal. Maybe offering a "family plan" for this scenario, especially now there is also the option for the Azure Backup Agent for Windows 7/8/8.1 (where the price will also be a concern).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to name a backup job

I would like to name my backup in the client and have it appear in the portal.

Example: I'm backing up a specific folder(s) of D:\ not the whole drive. The entry in the portal could make others (or myself at a later date) believe D:\ is being backed up.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base