Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Formal workaround for standalone 'server' Backup Vault name collisions.

I want to backup files from lots of standalone (non-domain) Windows 2008+ servers and Windows 7 workstations distributed across many independent sites to a single subscription within our EA Azure, however there are too many identically named computers names to put one in each of the maximum 25 Backup Vaults in a single subscription. Spreading them across multiple subscriptions will make the overall management in Azure too difficult. It is not logistically or culturally feasible to fix this problem by neatly renaming the computers to have new unique names.

I see two potential solutions:

1) Getting these computers to talk…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Restore client software for restore files to other computer by non-administrator.

I want the Restore client software for restore files from Azure Backup Storage to other computer by non-administrator.
    "other computer" mean computers other than Azure Backup's computers.
    "non-administrator" mean users without target computer's administrator premissions.
    Duaring a disaster, We want to restore files from Azure Backup's storage by non-administrator user without installing Azure Backup Agent to target computer.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Deduplication/difference upload based on stored image

It would be great to have an option to upload a system image and have the backup client only upload the difference between the local system and an image stored in Azure.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure Recover Service

I am currently testing the Recover Service to backup Azure based servers and have discovered that the agent has a requirement for the server to not have FIPS encryption setting turned on (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FIPSAlgorithmPolicy\Enabled = 1)

Turning this off reduces the security posture of the server and goes against our standard and security team requirements. Considering this is a show stopper for us is there any consideration to changing the requirement for FIPS to be turned off?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make Consitency Check jobs Faster

Time taken by Consistency check jobs have been always a pain when it comes to enterprise level backups with huge Datasources and high amount of churn. i have seen CC jobs going for days failing and restarting. We can only expect the data to grow in future which calls for a better solution for these CC jobs

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Offer a reduced cost simple server backup facility

As a home/home office user with quick fibre broadband, I would love to be able to use the Azure Backup plugin for Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2, but the costs are simply prohibitive. A simple backup plan with large capacities but limited redundancy (as this backup is the offsite plan for local backups anyway) would be ideal. Maybe offering a "family plan" for this scenario, especially now there is also the option for the Azure Backup Agent for Windows 7/8/8.1 (where the price will also be a concern).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to name a backup job

I would like to name my backup in the client and have it appear in the portal.

Example: I'm backing up a specific folder(s) of D:\ not the whole drive. The entry in the portal could make others (or myself at a later date) believe D:\ is being backed up.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Publish compression and churn rate for every protected source

For planning and cost control it would be great to have statistics on the compression and churn rate for every ptotected source and at the vault level, if you don't hacve the time to expose them in the UI just give us a way to programmatically (webservice or POSH) access that information.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Update The Azure Storage Valut Dashboard Page quick glance to show the download of the tools for client backups

Now that Azure backup supports backing up of clients, I'd like to see the Storage Vault's Dashboard page updated to show the download of the agent for clients. The dashboard page currently shows just downloading tools for the client. See the attached file az1.png)s to see a screen shot of the page I am talking about.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Azure Client Backup - Battery

If I have laptops on the road then those staff members might be generating data that needs to be protected. With modern machines they might have 8+ hours of battery life. For some roaming users, that's 2 days of data being created ... and not being protected by Azure Online Backup. It sounds like there is a false expectancy that users diligently plug in such devices every night - I know one person who charges her Ultrabook once or maybe twice per week.

Please give us the option to backup roaming devices while on battery. Maybe add in an option…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Backup for O365

I Like to see Longtime protection in Azure Backup or System Center Data Protection Manager for Office 365 Exchange, Sharepoint services. Because today you have to buy a third party solution. There are a lot of Educational institutes around the world in the free edition of Office365 on the Campus Agreement, but backup, restore services of Office 365 is a must have. Think about backup and restore mailboxes, teamsites of Sharepoint etc. Best Regards, James

1,904 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  88 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Multiple schedules of synchronization job

For example - 15 minutes synchronization on work hours and 1 hrs synchonization after them.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow recovery in another server without VaultCredentials

I wanted to create an automated daily recovery (powershell) in another server, then found out that I needed VaultCredentials. Would be great if I could use somekind of VaultCredentials with longer-than 2-day expiry

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Azure Backup Agent for QNAP

This backup agent should only transfer over the wire the changed bits of a modified file.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Publish Aurez Backup API with an Azure SDK

A backup cloud service really need a documented protocol and client side API.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Backup on-premises SQL DB to Azure, Test-restore the DB to a SQL server running in an IaaS VM

I want to on-premises backup SQL DBs to Azure and test the sanity of the backup point by restoring it to an Azure IaaS VM which has SQL server installed in it

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Backup on-premises SQL DB to Azure, restore the DB to a SQL server running in an IaaS VM

I want to backup on-premises SQL DBs to Azure and restore them to an Azure IaaS VM which has SQL server installed in it

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SharePoint Backup with Item Level Recovery

Please add SharePoint Backup. Also, when this is introduced it would be nice to have item level recovery built in so we do not have to restore an entire content database to retrieve one file.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Backup On-Premises VM to Azure and Restore the VM in Azure

When creating a new machine an Option to select an backup for restore would be great.

1,277 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    unplanned  ·  32 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 19 20 21 23 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base