Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

How can we improve Azure Backup?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change Resource Group for restorePointCollections

"Microsoft.Compute/restorePointCollections are store in a special ressource group named : AzureBackup_<Region>_<number>.

The good idea could be to be able to configure an other RG for each Recovery Service Vault to store restorePointCollections.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure Backup succesful backup email notification

Azure Backup successful backup email notification.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Recovery Services Vault integration with Azure Key Vault

It would be very useful to be able to manage Certificates through Azure Key Vault.
    AKV may become the comprehensive key/certificate vault, so that no risks of losing cypher certificates will occur.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Functions for checking the progress status ( ** % etc.) of Azure Backup from Azure Portal

We can check from Azure Portal whether Azure Backup is completed.
    However, we cannot see how far it is going at this time.

Our customers want us to implement visualization of the percentage currently being achieved by Azure Portal.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. recovrey password pst file

How to recover password in PST file?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Modify MARS agent back job properties directly from Azure portal.

I'd be great to modify backup job details direclty from Azure Portal. Imagine having a server that is backing up D: volume. In order to change the volume from D: to C: I have to login locally to the server and do the change. Having a possibility of this change from Azure Portal would speed up the change.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. to add the option to schedule different backup jobs on the same Azure backup agent.

Currently Azure backup can only schedule one backup job on an on-premises server. In Situation where end users need different backup schedules for different files and folders, there is no option, please look into it and add the option.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When enabling replication, add option to put objects in new Resource Group + Create new

From my perspective it would be nice to have the ability to select the post-failover Resource Group when i'm enabling replication. And also able to create a new Resource Group in this step.

Right now it will, if you don't manually create a resource group, and change it before test-failover/failover, put the objects in one big resource group. It will be a mess.

Furthermore, when editing the VM after replication, before test-failover and failover, it would be nice to be able to create a new resource group. Not only select ones already created (Like everywhere else in Azure)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Exclusions based on minimatch patterns

I want to be able to exclude certain folders from backups by default and I want to be able to use wildcards to do it. Right now this is a nightmarish thing to do and the documentation is very scarce.

Examples:

c:\users\*\sources\repos\**\.git\
    c:\users\*\sources\**\node_modules\
    c:\users\*\sources\**\obj\
    c:\users\*\sources\**\packages\
    c:\users\*\sources\**\.vs\
    c:\users\*\sources\workspaces\**\tf$\

c:\users\*\Dropbox*\
    c:\users\*\OneDrive*\
    c:\users\*\Google Drive*\

Having to manually configure these or to have scripts that try to continuously update the backup schedules on machines is madness.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. SCOM Management Pack for Microsoft Azure Backup Server

As far as I can tell there is no way to monitor Microsoft Azure Backup Server from SCOM, as there is no "Central Console" that can be installed on the SCOM management server

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Request to disclose information on a fault status on azure backup

Currently there is no place we can check health of Azure Backup Service status or status history. It is better to know these information because we can decide that we just need to wait for Azure Service side fix or need any troubleshoot.

I know there is "Azure Status" web site, but it shows only big impact issue and not providing small issue like Azure Portal display or extension issue. We hit many cases which were caused by Azure service side issue (Azure Portal, extension and so on) which were not disclose on Azure Status web site. If there is…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Defect with Get-AzureRmRecoveryServicesBackupProtectionPolicy on MAC OS

Get-AzureRmRecoveryServicesBackupProtectionPolicy runs fine on Windows but dies on MacOS when running this procedure. MAC OS version 10.13.4, Powershell version v6.1.0-preview.3. I would appreciate if you could report this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. catch up missed backups

I would love to backup Clients with azure Backup, too. But we Need a Option to catch up missed data protection Jobs.

So if a Client is not running while one or more Jobs are scheduled, the Option schould trigger one backup after beeing on again.

Thanks, Martin

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Non Local Admin Rights to Manage Azure Backup

We have a scenario where our local site servers are managed by 3rd Party A from an operating system perspective but they have Azure Backup installed which is managed by 3rd Party B. I have made aware that for Party B to manage Azure Backup including restores they need local Admin access which Party A are reluctant to give for obvious reasons.

Please can we work it so that users only need to be put in Backup Operators (for example) in order to do this management.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Randomize backup jobs start time

When a protection group contains many servers using the same storage, the backup job may apply a significant load to that storage. It would be a great deal if you add an option to randomize the launch time of the backup jobs within a specific range in minutes. The option could be PG-wide or even server-wide.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Backup in other subscriptions

Today we cannot backup virtual machines in other subscription then the subscription your recovery service belongs to. This would be a good feature to have, as you can have a central backup function for several subscriptions

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. move or target backups to a new vault without having to delete all recovery points

We should have the ability to move backup recovery points between vaults or at least target them to a new vault without having to delete all existing recovery points. Right now if we want future backups to go to a new vault (many reasons, for example Power BI reporting) we have to delete all existing recovery point history for that VM, go for a period of time with no backups, and then set it up again. We should be able to retain existing recovery points while using a new vault and building up history.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. move vm from recovery services vault to new vault

I need a way to move a VM from one recovery services vault to another. For example, I want to stop backing up a VM in recovery services vault A, and start backing up the VM in recovery services vault B. At the moment, I can stop backing up the VM, but cannot choose to back it up in the other vault.

164 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. "Backup Pre-check" Status detection

Currently we don't have any way to detect "Backup Pre-check" failure or warning. To keep backup operation in stable condition, we should have detection function.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Azure Backup Deletion - Third-Party MFA

Currently we leverage a different MFA solution within our enterprise. It is integrated within our ADFS environment and it would be great to leverage our current MFA software for Azure Backup like we do with logging into the Azure portal. Utilizing our MFA product would keep it consistent for our users across the board and retain a familiar experience. Is there a way this can work with Azure Backup in regards to the deletion security or something your team has planned for the future?

Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Backup