Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Security roles in Azure Backup

The ability to restrict vault credentials to certain operations would be extremely useful from a security standpoint. Right now, Azure Backup can protect against accidental or non-malicious data loss, but its ability to protect against intended data destruction is limited. If the underlying server Azure Backup is running on is compromised, an attacker can simply delete all of the backups for that system. This makes Azure's utility as a replacement for traditional physical off-site backups (e.g. tape drives) much less useful.

Being able to assign "roles" to vault credentials would be one way to solve this. For example, a role…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Security and Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multiple schedules of synchronization job

For example - 15 minutes synchronization on work hours and 1 hrs synchonization after them.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add capability to backup Barracuda NG Firewall Appliances

Backups never succeed their first backup, the agent never seems to install properly on the VM.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Slow backup time at azure Backup on Windows Server 2012

Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 R2, 47 MB backup finished in about 4 minutes. But, Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012, 47 MB backup takes about 25 minutes and quit.
    Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 slower backup time rather than Azure Backup on Windows Server 2012 R2.
    Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2, Microsoft Azure Recovery Service Agent version uses 2.0.8707.0.

Check Japan blogs below for more information (please translate to English as button to translate).

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to backup Azure Automation runbooks with Azure Backup

We would like to have the ability to backup "Azure Automation runbooks" with the Azure Backup service.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. FC

Would like to see something similar to HP Data Protection manager were backups are able to write from HOST to Backup Solution (Tape or Disk) instead of having to be routed through the DPM Management Server. In this scenario backups could use Fiber Channel connection from Host to Backups Solution (HP StoreOnce).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Backup on-premises SQL DB to Azure, Test-restore the DB to a SQL server running in an IaaS VM

I want to on-premises backup SQL DBs to Azure and test the sanity of the backup point by restoring it to an Azure IaaS VM which has SQL server installed in it

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Status on VM Panel

It should be great if you Provide classification on VM Panel whether VM is backed up or not so that user came to know from VM Panel whether VM is backed up or not.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support restoring while retaining original VHD filenames

Azure VM level backups rename the source vhd into a random filename. When we restore VM from backup, the new VM doesn't retain the original names. We have a use case where we would like to use RM templates to deploy replica dev/test environments from Prod backups. Currently that is not possible without a lot of coding to parse the backup xml file to identify which vhds are assigned to which LUNs. Is there a better way to implement this use case or is there a feature in planning to allow us to retain original filenames?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Detailed usage report showned in both OMS and Azure Backup

I would like to see a drill down usage report and diagram for Azure Backup. I would also be nice to see the level of compression (DeDupe) that is done within the cloud on the backup storage.

This will provide better insight into customers usage at a detailed level for each virtual machine or disk level

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. workstation backup : ability to have no planned backup, but can use "save now" option when I want

Hi,
    In the current version of the workstation agent, we must have a minimum of one policy, and here I mean with a specific time to be executed. I noticed that if my machine is down (let's say supposed to backup at noon), and if I turn it on 2 hours later backup will start while I am working
    that would be fantastic to have a policy, but not force any specific time to be executed. Then, when I want, just need to click the "save now" button, with no impact on my work and if home no impact on…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add option to monitor who has restored something

It would be nice if one could Monitor which user account was used for restoring something

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Would like to extend the maximum number of recovery points to something greater then 64

I would like to have more recovery points for a retention range to be greater the 64

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Coordinated Multi-VM Backups

Multi-VM systems like SharePoint really need the same effect as Consistency Groups on a SAN. VMware (sorry, I forget the specific name of the tech) has the ability to take VSS-quiesced VM snapshots on multiple VMs in conjunction with a Consistency Group (LUN) snapshot on the SAN. This is an important foundation of their SRM product, since it provides app-consistent snapshots of all servers in the consistency group at the exact same point in time. If we can get multiple VMs VSS-quiesced at the same point in time, then that would be ideal. It would provide a compelling reason to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Comments tab on the protected Items page

We have a situation where we are looking at backing up servers from multiple schools.

The problem is most our schools servers are all called the same, for example "schserv01"

When installing the backup agent and it is then registered and protected in Azure, we have multiple servers all showing up with the same name "schserv01" Now we do not know which one is for which school...

We can't rename the server, So would it be possible to have a comments section on the protected items page within the portal, that way we could comment which each server is. Better…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Better error messages in recovery services

I'm getting error messages like:

Please retry the operation in a few minutes. If the problem persists, contact Microsoft Support.

Trying to create a support ticket isn't possible because you need to pay for support, even for internal errors... An already paying customer shouldn't need to pay for support when Microsoft didn't implement correct and meaningful error messages, especially not when it says 'internal' error...

Something like this shouldn't be on UserVoice it shouldn't be needed to vote on, it's standard...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Could you please let me know, if the vm is in affinity group can we add to recovery service and it will take a successful backup for VM

Could you please let me know, if the vm is in affinity group can we add to recovery service and it will take a successful backup for VM ? Because this limitation is added in limitations?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add better logs to Windows Azure Backup Manager

When a warning is raised in the Event Log, the associated Details tab contains very little information. For example, I am getting Error code 1073841907. What does it mean, where can I look it up?
    The logs (.Errlog) are even more cryptic. Add a decent log, not something that is useful only to the product team.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Backup IaaS VMs and workloads in AWS to Azure backup

Azure backup to support backing up AWS IaaS VMs and workloads to Azure Backup vault.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base