Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

How can we improve Azure Backup?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable SQL database backup in MARS

Enable SQL database backup in MARS.

We would like to use MARS also to backup SQL databases.
    Now we have to use DPM/MABS and that is overkill for only the backup.

We have around 180 servers with SQL databases spread over the world. And installing DPM on all these sites is overkill.

So we like to have the option to use MARS also for SQL database backup.

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for SQL Server Failover Cluster Instance (FCI) using Storage Spaces Direct

Microsoft currently only supports backing up SQL AlwaysOn availability groups for high availability with the new Recovery Services Vault SQL Server in Azure VM (Preview). SQL AlwaysOn requires the Enterprise edition of SQL which is very expensive. SQL Server Failover Cluster Instance (FCI) using Storage Spaces Direct is another option for high availability in Azure IaaS however it is currently a public preview limitation and is not high on the list for the GA product improvement list. You can setup SQL FCI using the Standard version of SQL so would save SMB customers a lot of money in licensing costs.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Backup on-premises SQL DB to Azure, Test-restore the DB to a SQL server running in an IaaS VM

I want to on-premises backup SQL DBs to Azure and test the sanity of the backup point by restoring it to an Azure IaaS VM which has SQL server installed in it

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SQL Backup encryption without TDE

One should be able to encrypt SQL backup thru SQL's backup-encryption feature without using TDE in the SQL VM.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Backup report for SQL in Azure VM

Currently reporting in power BI is not supported for SQL in Azure VM. Please add the feature in order to view the report detailed the schedule backup jobs, storage, the backup status (succeeded, failed) in power BI.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure Backup for SQL Server replication to another region

Azure Backup supports the ability to replicate backups to another "site" or backup vault hosted in another region for site recovery purpose. The new feature of backing up SQL Server databases does not seem to include this ability.

It would be ideal to have that option for database backups as well. It would provide the ability for users to backup a database via Azure Backup for SQL Server on one region and restore that database to another region.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Azure Backup for Analysis Services IaaS VM workloads

Would be important to include protection for Analysis Services workloads running in IaaS VMs like we have for SQL Server right now. Normally BI Solutions, take advantage of SQL Server Database Engine instances but also Analysis Services instances, so, would be very interesting to have a solution that could protect all these pieces of software.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Alerts to Webhook for Azure Backup SQL in IaaS VM

Backup SQL in IaaS VM as an Azure native function is a great idea, we've started using it to backup our DBs, it's far more convenient than setup backup directly to azure storage.
    but still if we want to perform this broadly then we'll have to monitor backup job more closely, if the alerts can be throw to somewhere else through webhook, then we can get call or sms alerts.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow the SQL in IaaS VM Agent to be used across multiple vaults

I would like to be able to select a VM have the agent installed and then use the same agent across multiple vaults in the same subscription. This would be used for when a Vault is for a specific business unit and charged back and only has 1 database on a Shared Database platform

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Backup support for SQL 2008 R2

I would be good, if the SQL server in Azure VM - supports the older versions of SQL - SQL 2008 R2 ( Till the version microsoft provides support)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Backup on-premises SQL DB to Azure, restore the DB to a SQL server running in an IaaS VM

I want to backup on-premises SQL DBs to Azure and restore them to an Azure IaaS VM which has SQL server installed in it

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Autoprotect does not work for me when I add a new database. I have to run discovery again and then it started backing up database

I set my SQL instance for Azure backup to recovery services vault and selected AUTOPROTECT option.

I noticed that Autoprotect does not work for me when I add a new database on SQL server. That new database is not getting backedup automatically. I had to run discovery again and then it started backing up the database. Is there a way to avoid that step? Any new databases should get backedup automatically when AUTOPROTECT is ON

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Work load options

Can this MASR agent take the SQL database backup to Azure cloud.
    Not by files or folders, but as the database?
    The purpose is to restore that to Azure VM when needed. Please comment, if any one knows about this..

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Run Backup/restore of a SQL Server DB via SSMS

Run Backup/restore of a SQL Server DB via SSMS

From SSMS we are actually able to see backup done by Azure Backup of SQL Server on an Azure VMs but we can't restore it.
    Can be great to be able to do it like this SYSADMIN or backup role can manage it without access to the portal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Automatically Discover New Databases for backup management type "SQL Server in Azure VM"

I'm looking at the features of backup management type "SQL Server in Azure VM". Would it be possible to add a feature that automatically detects new databases added to an instance, and backup them up.

At the moment, it looks like I'll need to manually add a new database to the backed up items every time I add a database to an instance.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Intelligent compression setting

Synopsis
    At this point in time, the preview supports SQL compression by enabling it on policy level. This however simply enforces the parameter, without taking into account if it's even possible. This means a web edition installation will fail because the syntax isn't supported.

Description
    Because of the above mentioned scenario, it's currently required to have a policy specifically for web edition instances, even if you want the exact same retention as other environments.
    This could be solved by looking at the SQL edition, and enforcing non-compression on web edition instances.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Backup

Feedback and Knowledge Base