Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

How can we improve Azure Backup?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Inconsistent experience when a user selects the backup goal

Current Azure backup configuration doesn't show an option to take files and folder & system state backup when a user selects the backup goal (workload running in) Azure. if user changes workload running option to on-premises, he can then see more options. which basically creates a confusion and some customers feel that they cant take files,folder and system state backup for Azure VM. please improve this experience and make it consistent when user selects either Azure or On-Premises

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Snapshot backup at VHD level

There is an option to take snapshot backup in AWS which will take VHD level backup like wise in Azure, there is no option to take root drive backup. It would be better if we have snapshot backup at VHD level (root drive), because it is really helpful when we plan for patching activity for Windows VMs

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support restoring while retaining original VHD filenames

Azure VM level backups rename the source vhd into a random filename. When we restore VM from backup, the new VM doesn't retain the original names. We have a use case where we would like to use RM templates to deploy replica dev/test environments from Prod backups. Currently that is not possible without a lot of coding to parse the backup xml file to identify which vhds are assigned to which LUNs. Is there a better way to implement this use case or is there a feature in planning to allow us to retain original filenames?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option to delete specific recovery points

Add an option to delete individual recovery points. Alternatively if that is not possible add option to continue purging old backups according to the backup policy after server has been deleted\renamed\migrated (VNET migration).

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Recovery Services: Allow restoring individual VHDs from restore point

Currently Recovery Services "Restore disks" restores all disks. It would be great if you could only restore selected individual disks.

E.g., right now I'm waiting for 128+50+1023 GB VHDs of a single VM being restored, and I wouldn't need the 1023GB one, so I have plenty of time to write this suggestion :)

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Need email notification for the error code 'UserErrorBackupOperationInProgress’

Need email notification for the error code 'UserErrorBackupOperationInProgress’. At a premier customer where they have many VMs protected, we have this error due to a previous job that ran ~32 Hrs. As there was no email notification for this failure, customer did not notice the long running backups of ~32 hrs. Another instance had a delayed backup trigger and so the next scheduled instance failed with 'UserErrorBackupOperationInProgress’. So, customer wants to really get notifications of all failures as they are blind sided of these delayed backup triggers and long running backups

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Coordinated Multi-VM Backups

Multi-VM systems like SharePoint really need the same effect as Consistency Groups on a SAN. VMware (sorry, I forget the specific name of the tech) has the ability to take VSS-quiesced VM snapshots on multiple VMs in conjunction with a Consistency Group (LUN) snapshot on the SAN. This is an important foundation of their SRM product, since it provides app-consistent snapshots of all servers in the consistency group at the exact same point in time. If we can get multiple VMs VSS-quiesced at the same point in time, then that would be ideal. It would provide a compelling reason to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Can we have a feature like Veeam "direct restore to Microsoft Azure"

I use Azure server backup for local backups onsite. I replicate to Azure Recovery server profile and have a replication of all backups in Azure. I want to then restore the data from azure recovery services to azure virtual server. This will allow us to have a backup solution and by extension a disaster recovery solution in case we lost the onsite infrastructure. granted some reconfiguration would be required at restore time, but it would be much faster, simpler to restore in azure rather than download to a new onsite infrastructure. also it could double as a migration process into…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. To modify the schedule to transfer data to vault

When taking snapshot completed, we would like to modify the schedule to transfer data to vault.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. A situation where the Recovery Services container failover to GRS storage

The following User Interfaces are required.

· Implement the UI to check the actual operation.
    · Implement a demonstration UI.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Automatic polling for "Backup Pre-Check" status

In current, "Backup Pre-Check" will run in advance when IaaS VM backup is triggered.
    Also, the "Backup Pre-Check" status will not be modified until the next backup job.

I think that remaining the former precheck status will cause some kind of confuse.
    Thus, I hope a feature that automatic polling for "Backup Pre-Check" status will be implemented.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. when restoring overwriting the existing machine to have same ip

when restoring overwriting the existing machine to have the same ip so users will be up & running without changing ips and DNS and public ip and so on

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Restore VM via recovery point in one click

Very similar to a point-in-time recovery

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enhance VM's 'config' backup to include more metadata

The config.json file included with an Azure VM's backup state does not include metadata about the 'availability set' nor the attached NIC card resources. In order to allow the freedom to re-create the same VM state from a backup, this additional metadata is necessary.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. multiple backups per VM per day

You have GOT to be kidding me, you can ONLY backup an Azure VM ONCE a day?! What the heck Microsoft?! We MUST have the option to backup a VM as MANY TIMES A DAY as we choose. We are paying for the backup, the storage, and the VM so why do you guys prevent this? I feel like I am dealing with a new company in the 90's but no, its Microsoft the biggest bunch of backwards thinking company there is. This is why I go open source, only MS for clients. Because of this backwards design, my client…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. New-AzureRmRecoveryServicesBackupProtectionPolicy

The Cmdlet "New-AzureRmRecoveryServicesBackupProtectionPolicy" used to create a Backup Protection Policy, does not have an option to select the Time Zone. As of now the only workaround is to Run the Powershell commands, create the required Items and then update the Time Zone (which is blank) to the Correct One.

This is also detailed out at https://davidfleming.org/2018/03/30/azure-backup-a-walkthrough/.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Install VM Agent when registering a VM for new VM Level Backup Feature

Since VM Agent is required for the new VM Level Backup feature to work, the recovery services register wizard should either provide a hyperlink to a TechNet article on how to manually install the VM Agent, or it should run the powershell command to set ProvisionGuestAgent value to true using Powershell or a REST call.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Azure Backup completion ETA

Currently Azure does not show the ETA for backup completion, it only shows time elapsed. It would be rally helpful to have it shown in the RSV

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Recover IaaS VM back to on premise

For regulatory reasons we need access to historic backups. If for any reason we move away from Azure I need to know I can still access them so I would like to be given the option to recover the VM to an on premise location.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Restore VM in cloud services (and vnet) associated with affinity groups

Is possible to suppress following limitation?

"We only display cloud services and virtual networks that are not associated with any affinity groups in the restore instance details."

... detailed in http://bit.ly/22oHwfk

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Backup

Feedback and Knowledge Base