Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

How can we improve Azure Backup?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Backup on-premises SQL DB to Azure, Test-restore the DB to a SQL server running in an IaaS VM

I want to on-premises backup SQL DBs to Azure and test the sanity of the backup point by restoring it to an Azure IaaS VM which has SQL server installed in it

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. More accurate status information

Currently the MARS client has limited categories for it's activity - ie, 'preparing storage', 'transferring data', etc.

What would be more useful is an actual account of what it's doing. For instance, a previous inconsistent backup will lead to the next backup sitting in 'transferring data' when it's actually checking consistency. More information is needed!

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Functions for checking the progress status ( ** % etc.) of Azure Backup from Azure Portal

We can check from Azure Portal whether Azure Backup is completed.
    However, we cannot see how far it is going at this time.

Our customers want us to implement visualization of the percentage currently being achieved by Azure Portal.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable Network Throttling for Server 2008

I know network throttling is available when you install the Azure agent on Server 2012 but can something be done for Server 2008?

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Log occurrence of queue waiting time in the log.

If the start time of backup processing and the time set in the schedule deviate due to the queue waiting time, it is possible to determine that "information on the activity log" or "job event" please record as.

background
    Depending on the system, an error may occur if there is a difference between the set time and the actual processing start time. If possible, I would like to improve the situation in which the start time of the backup process and the time set in the schedule deviate by the queue waiting time, but I have recognized that it is…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure Backup Retention Policy - to retain X backup copies

Instead of specifying Retention Policy in terms of time periods (retain for X days/weeks/months/years), it is also useful to keep backup in terms of numbers of copies (retain X copies).

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Longer Term Retention of Backups for Azure File Shares

I have set up an Azure File Share and configured a daily backup. But the retention period for daily backup is only 120 days. I need a way to retain backups for a longer period of time for compliance and archival purposes. Quarterly backups would be fine. Is there a way I can backup a file share or a snapshot of a file share to regular Azure Backup with the availability of its longer retention periods?

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. "Backup Pre-check" Status detection

Currently we don't have any way to detect "Backup Pre-check" failure or warning. To keep backup operation in stable condition, we should have detection function.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Change Resource Group for restorePointCollections

"Microsoft.Compute/restorePointCollections are store in a special ressource group named : AzureBackup_<Region>_<number>.

The good idea could be to be able to configure an other RG for each Recovery Service Vault to store restorePointCollections.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. be able to query the retention period of on-demand vm backup

When we run on-demand vm backup, the retention period is not shown in any UI (e.g. Azure Portal, Azure PowerShell, Azure CLI, Azure REST API) currently.
    If the retention period is queryable, backup data management will be more easier and convenient.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add The Failed Files\Folders To The Alert Mail

When I receive an email alert that my job has 'completed with warnings' it would be good to see the files\folders it has failed on instead of me having to connect to the server each time.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Backup space used in Azure Backup Vault.

I wish to know what has used the space in: "Total Storage Consumed In Azure"

I have no real idea what has used all the space in my vault.

Thxs Chris

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Enable the labelling of Azure backup/restore points

Allow users to label their Azure backups or restore points such that users can easily identify their backups and revert to restore points when needed

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow file-level restores of Encrypted Azure VMs without MARS

Allow file-level restores of Encrypted Azure VMs without MARS

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Publish Aurez Backup API with an Azure SDK

A backup cloud service really need a documented protocol and client side API.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to backup Azure Automation runbooks with Azure Backup

We would like to have the ability to backup "Azure Automation runbooks" with the Azure Backup service.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make System State Backup Incremental

Can we make the backup of the System State incremental? We have several remote sites with very poor WAN links and although the incremental user data change is relatively small, the weekly System State backups range from 12-15 GB which run over a weekend and into the working week impacting the WAN link severely.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Update Azure Backup Recovery Vault Create wizard to include type of replication (LRS/GRS)

Update Azure Backup Recover Vault Create wizard to include type of replication instead of default to GRS without any warning to user that Recovery Vault will use expensive option for replication. Either allow global setting of default to LRS or GRS for Recovery Vault or include in initial creation questions which to use

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Would love to see Azure Backup support for DNS zones

Would be great to be able to backup and restore my DNS zones. As with the file shares preview, it needs to be able to detect un-backed-up zones easily and apply backup policy across all my zones (e.g. at RG or Subscription level). Need to be able to browse individual DNS records for restore (I might just need to restore one, not the whole zone)

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Option to delete specific recovery points

Add an option to delete individual recovery points. Alternatively if that is not possible add option to continue purging old backups according to the backup policy after server has been deleted\renamed\migrated (VNET migration).

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Backup

Feedback and Knowledge Base