Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure Virtual Machine scale sets Instances should and Azure Backup service

If scale sets are used by in Azure IAAS, it should be supported to back up its instances or single instance at least through Azure Backup service in same or other regions in a recovery vault.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need detailed report on file / folder size backed up

It is nice to be able to run Get-OBJob -previous 1 and see a report of the total size of data backed up per resource (C drive, D Drive, etc), but I am looking for a report that shows the total size of each file/folder backed up in that specific resource set.

I need to be able to quickly determine where my larger sized backed up files/folders are.

As it stands now i can only see this data at the drive level. I need this more granular.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. View backup size per IaaS VM

Currently it is only possible to see the total size of the backups in the vault.
    It would be good if we could easily see the total size of the backup data for each IaaS VM as it would give a better picture for the backup costs, which if needed will allows to change the backup policy for a VM accordingly when needed.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Increase the limit of data disk number supported by azure backup

Azure backup supports up to 16 data disks attached to an Azure virtual machine for backup. Please remove the restriction or match the max data disks for G series

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Restore managed disk VMs without Storage Account for staging

Currently, we should specify the Storage Account for staging purpose to restore the VMs with managed disk.
    But the advantage of the managed disk is that we don't have to inform and control storage account permissions for the end users. The required RBAC permission for this operation is Storage Account Contributor which means the restore operator can perform anything for the storage account.
    This prevents the customer from being free from Storage Account management.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure Backup Client should support the metered connection flag a network connection

There should be setting in the Azure Backup Client that allow the user to decide if they want the backup to run when the network connection shows that it is on a metered connection.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. More accurate status information

Currently the MARS client has limited categories for it's activity - ie, 'preparing storage', 'transferring data', etc.

What would be more useful is an actual account of what it's doing. For instance, a previous inconsistent backup will lead to the next backup sitting in 'transferring data' when it's actually checking consistency. More information is needed!

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Selectively delete backups, and choice to delete backups without 14 days retention

There are instances whereby we want a complete/selective deletion of backup data without the 14 days retention policy. Currently, when I choose to backup a particular folder on my server using the MARS agent, and decide that I want a complete wipe of that data from Azure, I have to stop the backup policy and wait for 14 days for total deletion. In-between these 14 days, I'm stuck without an option to backup to Azure if I require a clean slate.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. How to know the individual storage usage of a VM or server in a Vault?

How to know the individual storage usage of a VM or server in a Vault?

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enable Network Throttling for Server 2008

I know network throttling is available when you install the Azure agent on Server 2012 but can something be done for Server 2008?

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Exclusions based on minimatch patterns

I want to be able to exclude certain folders from backups by default and I want to be able to use wildcards to do it. Right now this is a nightmarish thing to do and the documentation is very scarce.

Examples:

c:\users\*\sources\repos\**\.git\
    c:\users\*\sources\**\node_modules\
    c:\users\*\sources\**\obj\
    c:\users\*\sources\**\packages\
    c:\users\*\sources\**\.vs\
    c:\users\*\sources\workspaces\**\tf$\

c:\users\*\Dropbox*\
    c:\users\*\OneDrive*\
    c:\users\*\Google Drive*\

Having to manually configure these or to have scripts that try to continuously update the backup schedules on machines is madness.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Change Resource Group for restorePointCollections

"Microsoft.Compute/restorePointCollections are store in a special ressource group named : AzureBackup_<Region>_<number>.

The good idea could be to be able to configure an other RG for each Recovery Service Vault to store restorePointCollections.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Log occurrence of queue waiting time in the log.

If the start time of backup processing and the time set in the schedule deviate due to the queue waiting time, it is possible to determine that "information on the activity log" or "job event" please record as.

background
    Depending on the system, an error may occur if there is a difference between the set time and the actual processing start time. If possible, I would like to improve the situation in which the start time of the backup process and the time set in the schedule deviate by the queue waiting time, but I have recognized that it is…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Azure Backup Retention Policy - to retain X backup copies

Instead of specifying Retention Policy in terms of time periods (retain for X days/weeks/months/years), it is also useful to keep backup in terms of numbers of copies (retain X copies).

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make System State Backup Incremental

Can we make the backup of the System State incremental? We have several remote sites with very poor WAN links and although the incremental user data change is relatively small, the weekly System State backups range from 12-15 GB which run over a weekend and into the working week impacting the WAN link severely.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Would love to see Azure Backup support for DNS zones

Would be great to be able to backup and restore my DNS zones. As with the file shares preview, it needs to be able to detect un-backed-up zones easily and apply backup policy across all my zones (e.g. at RG or Subscription level). Need to be able to browse individual DNS records for restore (I might just need to restore one, not the whole zone)

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. "Backup Pre-check" Status detection

Currently we don't have any way to detect "Backup Pre-check" failure or warning. To keep backup operation in stable condition, we should have detection function.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make it easier to delete Recovery Services Vaults used for backup

If I backup an IaaS VM, I can't delete the vault for 14 days due to the soft-delete feature.

I can understand the motivation - to avoid accidental deletion.

However, this is a huge pain point in testing / training scenarios. We *need* the ability to fully clean up a test / training environment and start over.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. be able to query the retention period of on-demand vm backup

When we run on-demand vm backup, the retention period is not shown in any UI (e.g. Azure Portal, Azure PowerShell, Azure CLI, Azure REST API) currently.
    If the retention period is queryable, backup data management will be more easier and convenient.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add The Failed Files\Folders To The Alert Mail

When I receive an email alert that my job has 'completed with warnings' it would be good to see the files\folders it has failed on instead of me having to connect to the server each time.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base