Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

How can we improve Azure Backup?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Consitency Check jobs Faster

Time taken by Consistency check jobs have been always a pain when it comes to enterprise level backups with huge Datasources and high amount of churn. i have seen CC jobs going for days failing and restarting. We can only expect the data to grow in future which calls for a better solution for these CC jobs

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multiple schedules of synchronization job

For example - 15 minutes synchronization on work hours and 1 hrs synchonization after them.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make It Easier to Add Exclusions

Suppose I was backing up drives C:, D:, E: and F: and I wanted to add exclusions for file types *.flv, *.mov, *.mp3, *.pst* and *.tmp. In the job configuration I have to manually add:
    C: - *.flv
    C: - *.mov
    C: - *.mp3
    C: - *.pst
    C: - *.tmp
    D: - *.flv
    D: - *.mov
    D: - *.mp3
    D: - *.pst
    D: - *.tmp
    E: - *.flv
    etc. etc.
    F: - *.tmp

Please add the option for global excludes across all drives!

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When there is a problem with the backup target file, skip and backup other files. Also, please implement a detailed log that can be confirme

Normally, files locked by other applications are skipped, backups are taken, and skipped files are written in the log.
    However, other than the above cases (such as file corruption), the backup job stuck and an Issue occurred that the backup did not end. (In this case it was Active for over a week)
    If backup does not progress due to file check etc. for a certain period of time, please skip the backup of the corresponding file, and please implement "detailed log" is kept as to "which file" and "reason".
    Also, since skipped files can currently only be checked on…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support for SQL Server Failover Cluster Instance (FCI) using Storage Spaces Direct

Microsoft currently only supports backing up SQL AlwaysOn availability groups for high availability with the new Recovery Services Vault SQL Server in Azure VM (Preview). SQL AlwaysOn requires the Enterprise edition of SQL which is very expensive. SQL Server Failover Cluster Instance (FCI) using Storage Spaces Direct is another option for high availability in Azure IaaS however it is currently a public preview limitation and is not high on the list for the GA product improvement list. You can setup SQL FCI using the Standard version of SQL so would save SMB customers a lot of money in licensing costs.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to restore files without full path

I need an option to restore files without full path because this can cause some paths exceed 256 character limit causing copy/move errors.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Display bar on progress

It should be great if you show progress in Bar format too. So, that user can know how much backup is completed.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Use TAGS for selecting Backup schedule/policy

Today, I like to use TAGS to identify who owns a VM, where charges should go, who to contact for support, etc. I'd like to be able to use a tag to determine AUTOMATICALLY what backup schedule/policy to use. Veeam has an option to do that based on vSphere tags. I'd like to propose that as an enhancement if it's not already in the works. Thanks.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. ExpressRoute and Azure Backup

Azure ExpressRoute enables me to send large amounts of data to the Azure datacenter over a private, secure, reliable and low-latency circuit. I want the ability to send my backup data over an ExpressRoute circuit

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add reporting for Azure Backup Server

Add reporting functionality using PowerBI as is currently possible for Azure VMs

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-configure-reports

"Reports for Azure SQL, DPM and Azure Backup Server are not supported at this time."

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  MABS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to execute custom pre & post scripts as part of a Recovery Services backup snapshot

Provide functionality for Recovery Services to execute Pre and Post scripts during a backup snapshot. This could allow applications and databases to be consistently quiesced on non-VSS enabled operating systems like Linux. Perhaps this could be built into the WAAgent Backup Extension and provide accompanying templates scripts to guide users through the process.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add support for storage tiering in Azure backup

Add support for some kind of storage tier in Azure Backup that moves older snapshot/backup copies from hot to cold storage.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Seeding a large Azure Backup Server restore using export service

We can seed initial backup to Azure backup Vault using the import service but we cannot seed a large restore using the Export service. Restoring a large volume of data could take several days or even weeks!

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    unplanned  ·  3 comments  ·  Offline Import/Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Changing the managed disk name at the time of restore

Please add the capability of changing the managed disk name.
    Fixed name makes it difficult to manage.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Feature Request: Email Notification in MARS Agent

We want to have "Email Notification" option in MARS Agent. Also, please help to improve sync consistency with System State backup to Azure Portal as it shows wrong information sometime

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. "MARS Agent backup time reduction performance"

MARS Agent backup time is delayed There are many problems. Many of the causes are processing time before data transfer. I think This can be a take snapshot, checksum process, and queue time. If the performance before data transfer improves, I think that one of the problems of delay in backup time will be solved.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Include status of backup consistency for azure backups

From the portal.azure.com web interface we can see the type of consistency for a backup. We would like to have visibility into this information through the PowerBI reports and powershell commands.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Unlock VMs Prior to Initiating Backups via Recovery Services Vault Job

If you lock a resource group containing VMs as ReadOnly, VMs in that resource group will fail to backup because they are locked.

Please provide an option to bypass ReadOnly locks for recovery services backup jobs.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Restore VMware VMs, backuped with Azure Backup Server, in Azure

Currently it's possible to backup VMware VMs to Azure for off-site or long term copy. It would be great if these backups could be restored in Azure as IaaS virtual machines (if the on-premises data center crashes for example).

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  MABS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Backup

Feedback and Knowledge Base