How can we improve Azure Backup?

Azure Backup to support VMs with Premium Storage disks

Enable support to backup VMs created on Premium Storage disks or with Premium Storage disks attached.

1,032 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris Smallman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't support Fs series VMs yet. Any times on when F series will be supported? It's not great having VMs in Azure that aren't able to be backed up.

• EA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's great to hear. Do we need to signup somehow for the preview somewhere? I created a premium storage and I'm trying to recover an existing vm from "recovery services" -> "protected items" -> "restore".
        Unfortunately I don't see the premium storage I created in the storage account section of "RESTORE AN ITEM - select restore instance" dialog box. I'm using North Europe for the recovery services and the premium storage. I tried premium storage with the classic model and the resource manager. Still can't find them. What am I missing?

• Lewis Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a number of production virtual machines on Azure, Web Servers and SQL 2014 Database Servers that are using Premium storage, we need to backup these servers as part of our disaster recovery plan. I hope adding Premium Storage is a priority!

• EA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am looking at a list of ~10 PROD SAP servers which are planned to be moved to the cloud this year. Azure or the competitor.

Seems Azure does not offer anything adequate for backup and disaster recovery. Sorry but that's a blocker. Why do you have the premium storage then?

When are you planing to update us about your plans?

• Oystein Busch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to the crowd, wondering how MS can leave DS with Premium Storage, as the only suitable combination for performance on DBs on Azure, out of the most important aspect of a production environment: Backup...
        Recovery Services, still kept only on old portal, not supporting Premium storage.
        Please add some priority to this, and please do give us some feedback as when we can expect this.

• MrMak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSD is the way for SQL storage and thus we don't have a backup for SQL!? (or geo redundancy for that matter!?).

• Steaders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Azure Backup Team,

Is there a date for this being released to North Europe? It is a huge concern that we need Premium Solid State Disk based Virtual Machines but cannot back them up with VM SnapShots.

Regards,
        Lee

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot agree more with the comments below - extremely disappointing that this _mandatory_ feature is still not there yet.

• Blake von Brockdorff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was projected for the end of 2015 and it is still in the "planned" phase? Come on Microsoft, hard to be an evangelist for your cloud services when you can only do powershell snapshots of the premium storage that is leading the way. Backup is the very foundation upon which all production workloads should be built on. Why is this not a higher priority? This should be a no-brainer...

• Anonymous partner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an Azure enterprise partner we are absolutely shocked this mandatory support wasn't released together with the service. Clients and partners leverage a cloud platform such as Azure to not have to worry about about the mechanics driving it and rather focus on the solution. In this instance there is a long list of users (CUSTOMERS!) here fearing and worrying about a solution they have implemented - and rightfully so. Checking whether a paid service is backed up - I mean does one even have to check before implementing? Of course it needs to be protected otherwise pull it from your offering. UNACCEPTABLE. We are currently looking at competitor options as we have no choice.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base