How can we improve Azure Backup?

Backup for O365

I Like to see Longtime protection in Azure Backup or System Center Data Protection Manager for Office 365 Exchange, Sharepoint services. Because today you have to buy a third party solution. There are a lot of Educational institutes around the world in the free edition of Office365 on the Campus Agreement, but backup, restore services of Office 365 is a must have. Think about backup and restore mailboxes, teamsites of Sharepoint etc. Best Regards, James

1,655 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James van den Berg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

84 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sjouke Ykema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a good point James, seems to me one of the most important challenges microsoft has to face right now. You can't imagine if you have corrupted data in your one -drive

• Ton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why isn't already available. I think MS must create this option as soon possible

• Rene Kamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hier sluit ik mij graag bij aan. voor ons ook een welkome aanvulling.

Met vriendelijke groet,

René Kamp
        Projectleider ICT

ROC van Twente | Dienst Facilitaire, Zaken Huisvesting & ICT

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only great but is also a requirement for compliance to the archiving regulation in the Netherlands

• Ilia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also say that this is #1 blocking issue when considering moving to Office 365

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is our customers #1 blocking issue when they consider moving to the cloud!
        Backout and backout strategy is super important to them

• jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really don't want to have to use a third party service that extracts office 365 data via it's api's.
        This will perform badly and be subject to throttling.
        I would like a MS solution that exports all my office 365 data somewhere in azure on a daily schedule. Otherwise office 365 is not enterprise ready.

• Anders Rask commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3. This is a very overlooked problem.
        Also many are not aware that malware like crypto-locker also affects their OD4B or SPO documents.
        If you have mapped these drives to your explorer and get attacked by malware, your SharePoint data could get encrypted like any other network ressource!

Only in SPO you *dont* have a backup you can restore, and since file is not deleted Recyclebin does not help. And restoring a full site on top of your site collection will mean data loss.
        If you have enabled version history, you can restore old versions one-by-one using GUI or PowerShell which does not scale to enterprise level...
        We need a better story here Microsoft!

• Martin Robson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential for Education customers, and the reason why I have not rolled out OfB across our establishment.

• Paul Deasy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're an enterprise customer, seeking to adopt and roll-out Office365, Sharepoint Online and OneDriveForBusiness, then there has to be options made available to backup their data. (30 day recycle bin is not backup ). Currently this is only possible via 3rd party solutions.
        I'm sure there are a lot of enterprise customers sitting on the fence, refraining from roll-out of O365 services, purely for this reason.

Having the option for Azure (or DPM) backups clearly is a win-win also for Microsoft - as it's going to increase the customer investment in their services.

• Aidan Finn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office 365 does not have -backup-. It has a 30 day recycle bin. Anyone that deals with backup knows that retention time is important (why Azure Backup has done so much work on this following lots of feedback) and "offsite" storage are important. It makes sense for AB to backup Office 365 - other companies have seen this opportunity, so it makes sense for Microsoft to offer this entry point from O365 to Azure.

• James van den Berg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here are some points why it is important :
        - Educational institutes have to save classified data Offsite for more then 7 years. And not only education.
        - When you have a Skydrive for business and you synchronize is Awesome, but when all that data is encrypted by a virus, you love to have a offsite good backup :-)

The market of Office 365 is big an they already have backup like System Center DPM or Azure Backup, Now we need to backup Office 365 data fast with one of these products of Microsoft. and not a third party product, because we have Microsoft Backup Software.

• Lee Surgeoner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an essential value add for Office 365 and will give clients large and small even more confidence in choosing this as their productivity platform of choice.

• Marcus Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed feature. We had an organisation that needed to do a investigation on why something had happened 6 months ago. Although they have a mail journal that can be searched this does not reflect the state of the mailboxes throughout the organisation at that point in time. Same would be useful for OneDrive.

Feedback and Knowledge Base