How can we improve Azure Backup?

Backup for O365

I Like to see Longtime protection in Azure Backup or System Center Data Protection Manager for Office 365 Exchange, Sharepoint services. Because today you have to buy a third party solution. There are a lot of Educational institutes around the world in the free edition of Office365 on the Campus Agreement, but backup, restore services of Office 365 is a must have. Think about backup and restore mailboxes, teamsites of Sharepoint etc. Best Regards, James

1,706 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
James van den Berg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

90 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Wim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree!
    We are investigating backup & protection facilities of office365 and it appears to be unsufficient for confidential information.
    Regards
    Wim

• Jeroen Scholten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Data loss is often a major concern for Office 365 customers because Microsoft’s backup policies cannot guarantee a complete and speedy restore of lost data. Even when data is retrievable, the process is long and complicated, and retention policies vary for each application included in the cloud platform. Time to get a working backup solution :)

• Sjouke Ykema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a good point James, seems to me one of the most important challenges microsoft has to face right now. You can't imagine if you have corrupted data in your one -drive

• Ton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why isn't already available. I think MS must create this option as soon possible

• Rene Kamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hier sluit ik mij graag bij aan. voor ons ook een welkome aanvulling.

Met vriendelijke groet,

René Kamp
    Projectleider ICT

ROC van Twente | Dienst Facilitaire, Zaken Huisvesting & ICT

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only great but is also a requirement for compliance to the archiving regulation in the Netherlands

• Ilia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also say that this is #1 blocking issue when considering moving to Office 365

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is our customers #1 blocking issue when they consider moving to the cloud!
    Backout and backout strategy is super important to them

• jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really don't want to have to use a third party service that extracts office 365 data via it's api's.
    This will perform badly and be subject to throttling.
    I would like a MS solution that exports all my office 365 data somewhere in azure on a daily schedule. Otherwise office 365 is not enterprise ready.

• Anders Rask commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3. This is a very overlooked problem.
    Also many are not aware that malware like crypto-locker also affects their OD4B or SPO documents.
    If you have mapped these drives to your explorer and get attacked by malware, your SharePoint data could get encrypted like any other network ressource!

Only in SPO you *dont* have a backup you can restore, and since file is not deleted Recyclebin does not help. And restoring a full site on top of your site collection will mean data loss.
    If you have enabled version history, you can restore old versions one-by-one using GUI or PowerShell which does not scale to enterprise level...
    We need a better story here Microsoft!

Feedback and Knowledge Base