How can we improve Azure Backup?

Backup On-Premises VM to Azure and Restore the VM in Azure

When creating a new machine an Option to select an backup for restore would be great.

1,153 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see this feature... We use DPM to backup our on-prem Hyper-V Virtual machines, and push the backups off to an Azure site recovery account. It'd fill a missing hole in our disaster recovery system to be able to restore those backups directly to Azure virtual Machines.

• George S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also looking for the ability to backup our on-premise VMware VM's, to both on-premise storage and Azure Vault, with the ability to restore parts or the entire VM to ether on-premise or Azure. This would allow us to use Azure as our DR. It would also be nice if it worked the other way as well, so we could use our on-premise as DR for Azure as we move our workloads to Azure.

• Mike Wiedenheft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a bit late to the party, but glad to see this is a planned feature! We would like to be able to easily restore VMware VMs backed up via DPM on site as a Hyper-V in Azure.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the solution proposed just for Hyper-V? Have a very large VMware environment and this would be a very good possibility to present to management for a migration solution.

• Adrian Coles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Let me see if I understand the scenario correctly. You want the ability to select a back-up recovery point for a VHD file (or a VM if you are using DPM to Azure) and run it in Azure as an IaaS VM. Is this accurate ?"

Yes. With us, we run DPM on site in our data centre. We backup all Hyper-V VM's to DPM.
        DPM also uses Azure storage.
        In Azure we have a DPM VM running that is attached tot he same storage.

We would like to be able to restore a VM, from Azure storage, straight to Azure.

• Brad Horn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a missing component that is necessary in order to tell a complete story of how to use Azure as a DR Data Center. I understand Azure Site Recovery is an option, but I see that as a business critical, production level solution. ASR is not a good fit for most non-critical servers that won't need to be available within minutes of a disaster. The servers that have hours or days as RTO values would be best served by on premises VM backups to an Azure Recovery Services Vault with the option to restore the on-premises VM as an Azure VM.

• Maciej commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still no news about integration DPM and ASR? We are still waiting to get some solution.

• Ivo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integration between DPM and ASR would be great. I would like to use Azure as a recovery site meaning that I would like to have the option to restore a backup of a VM that was made on-premises to Azure. As it now seems, DPM and ASR both use their own storage vault and backup/replication traffic mechanisme. This leads to more network traffic and recovery storage space demands. Why not make it possible to let Site Recovery access the Azure backup (recovery services) vault and recover a VM into Azure from there?

Have the recovery services agent password be moved into AD in the same manner as Bitlocker's recovery key is in SCCM. It's in one place, limited access, and maintained.

• Bert Wolters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's the scenario! I'd like to restore a VM in Azure, which I've previously backed up with DPM to my Recovery Vault. This means:
        - adding a Storage Account as the restore target for Azure Backup.
        - I'll need my encryption key inserted in Azure, so I can read the encrypted backup from Azure Backup.
        - Lastly, I'll need the metadata of the VM uploaded to Azure, so I can relate the VM on-premises to the VHD backed-up to Azure. (when using templates for VM deployment, all OS disks often have the same name).

• chi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking for this feature as well, it serves the purpose of disaster recovery for on premise data center, and it eliminates the internet speed bottleneck to enable fast recovery of service during data center wise outage

• Tzachi Elkabatz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do you release a great feature as premium storage for VM'S without a backup option?
        features should be release after covering all aspects.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add that this should not require that the VMs are locally backed up first as this is currently the case.

• Dave Walton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is ridiculous that this feature is not available for VMs with premium storage attached. I upgraded my server from standard storage to a DS-Series VM as I needed the extra performance for my sql server, only to find I could no longer back it up.

Come on Microsoft, can we get this working.

We have made a backup of our servers with Azure on a Vault we have available in the Recovery Services Section installed on the source server and then installed the software on the server on which we want to dump the backup but when making recovery we get the following error 0X1D4C2 We dont have any Antivirus Installed in Both Servers at the moment (i have seen that this error code is very common with Symantec) so in this case Antivirus is not problem. Its possible to get access to the backed up files without the credentials and thepassphrase? There is any way to regenerate Both?

Thanks and Regards

• Joy Jacques commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't understand that backing up would not be available in the region I chose before I created my first virtual machine, and now I can't setup backups for it.

My VM is in the Central US region. When I go to create a Backup Vault I only see East US and West US. It would be very helpful for new users if they could create the backup vault at the same time they create the VM. At the very minimum if we could be given information about backup vaults/regions during creation then we could chose a VM region that had a backup region.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base