Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix SFC

Please could you fix "sfc.exe" or remove the "sfc /verifyonly" from the MARS backup process? Currently on all versions of Windows tested (Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 10, Windows Server 2019) this command generates 4000+ files per execution in "C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp*" which results in continually slower backups as these files are generated and never deleted. Furthermore all of the clean up processes regarding these folders that are documented in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/clean-up-the-winsxs-folder do not work out of the box, the only processes we have found that can clean up thse files can be found at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/cbeea1a1-77da-4e0e-a357-f36be1a60f16/when-to-the-files-in-cwindowswinsxstemppendingrenames-get-processed , which in summation is effectively install…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add azure backup support for SAP MaxDB

We have som customers who wants to use their SAP System in the Azure cloud. But for this we need a proper backup solution.
    SInce HANA Backup is supported via backint it should be possible to add support for MaxDB as well (Please see http://maxdb.sap.com/archive/AIO.Link.Target/Backint%20for%20SAP%20MaxDB.pdf).
    I am sure this would be a very nice opportunity for many customers.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add QoS function to SQL in a VM backup

During the Azure SQL backup of an VM, disk latency is extremely high and overloads the VM causing applications to fail. Suggested solution to resize the VM or to scatter the backup do not work. Please add a QoS function to the Azure SQL Backup to limit the load during the backup

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL in IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add azure backup support for SAP ASE (Sybase)

As Sybase license are (almost) free for HANA customers...some will use Sybase for other SAP workloads ;-)
    Backing up the whole VM and using SAP tools to do so currently is tedious and manual. How nice it would be if you could have azure backup take care of that and have the SAP ASE backup artefacts managable in azure and speed up the restore. Our Current DB sizes are 50GB - 500GBs.
    Enabling a scenario like this would help in getting SAP customers onboarded to azure.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Azure VM Backup in Different Azure subscription within the same region

Why we cannot protect an Azure VM running in Subscription A to a Recovery Services Vaults based in Subscription B. Both (VM/RSV) are in the same region.

This is very important scenario. For example, we want to have a dedicated subscription for backup only, and we want to organize backup cost per subscription, etc.

In large organizations, the backup operators are not the same who operate the VMs. From a security standpoint, we want to separate operations tasks with different subscriptions.

Thank You!
    -Charbel

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. False backup failure alert should be stopped for passive cluster node

Currently we have backup scheduled for SQL which runs on a two node cluster. We are getting backup failure from the passive node.

Ideally backup will happen only on active node. Hence there should be some intelligence built into backup solution so that it doesn't generate notification for passive nodes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. RSV accurately reflect failed backup status, especially for any MS Azure platform related issue

i.e.
    We had a recent issue where are RSV status was all green and there were not backup failure alerts/notifications.
    Yet they had been failing for weeks.
    The VM was up and running as normal but the azure platform had an issue: hydration issue between Azure Service Management (Classic) model and Azure Resource Manager (ARM) model)
    RSV accurately reflect failed backup status, especially for any MS Azure platform related issue

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fix the Memory Leak in a the Cloud Backup Agent

the Microsoft Azure Cloud Backup Engine service under version 2.0.9170.0 and 2.0.9169.0 both have a memory leak that causes the working_set of the process to increase over time. This means that we periodically have to restart the service to workaround the memory leak. This is under Server 2019.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow deployment of recovery vault without default polices via ARM

Creating a recovery vault via ARM template creates two default backup polices (one for IaaS and SQL), but they were not specified in the ARM template.

So in my opinion it violates the ARM model to deploy configurations I didn't asked for

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Can we get powershell commands to retrieve failed status of Azure file and folder backup so that we can automate it for our monthly report

Can we get powershell commands to retrieve failed status of Azure file and folder backups on VM's so that we can automate it for our monthly audit reports similar to VM backup failure status

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow selective deletion of snapshots in any and all azure products.

Backups / snapshots should not be auto deleted on deletion of the files resources. There should be an option to do so, but should not be forced on deletion of the resource. Default should be to retain with the option to delete, or maybe a subcommand that implies the delete . Not simply removal of one forces the other.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. enable deletion of vault after soft delete time has passed

After the soft deletion time has passed, it is still impossible to delete a backup item / a vault

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Backup Azure Files

Please add direct support of the backup of Azure Files or Storage Accounts so we can leverage the better retention, search and restore abilities the product can offer.

My scenario - I am backing up company data by using Azure File Sync to push our files to a storage account. Then I have a VM in Azure with File Sync on it to copy the files from the storage account so I can back up the data with MABS. I'm doing this because I need the ability to search for files and have the ability to retain 10 years of…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MABS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Stagger Backup Jobs For Azure SQL VM Backups

Backup jobs for the databases protected seem to only run simultaneously. This puts a heavy resource burden on the server.

Consider options for staggering the jobs perhaps per policy.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Backup all file shares in a storage account with Recovery Services vault

When creating Backup in Recovery Services vault, after selecting Azure FileShare(Preview) and a Storage Account I'm asked to select File Shares that I want backed up.

There should be an option to backup all File Shares in the Storage Account, even those created after the backup was set up.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Why should we need to migrate Exchange to Office 365?

Are you looking for an Exchange migration tool to migrate Exchange mailboxes to Office 365? I’ll give you the solution in this article

But before migration you must understand why to Office 365

So here I’ll give you an idea about reasons for Exchange migration and which is the most preferred third party Exchange migration tool to perform migration

Here are the few reasons why the companies try for Exchange migration to Office 365

Low server maintenance cost
    It has the capacity to grow up with your business
    Supports to work with any device from anywhere
    Most simplified migration
    Most…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Script to Automate Restore SQL Server databases on Azure VMs to Alternate Location

I want to schedule and automatically restore sql database backups to an alternate location

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Automatically mount lvm partitions instead of manual intervention

Currently, in azure backup process, if we want to do file recovery from logical volumes, we have to mount lvm's and then access files.

Instead of manual intervention, i would vote to see automated mounts of those lvm's like in source backedup vm.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Restore from Azure to a ReFS volume directly (not NTFS required)

DPM - Azure Backup Server
    Why is it not possible to restore from Azure to a ReFS volume directly? Why is a NTFS volume still mandatory?

https://www.mainmind.com/post/modern-backup-storage-dpm-ntfs-y-refs

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base