Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Backup for O365

I Like to see Longtime protection in Azure Backup or System Center Data Protection Manager for Office 365 Exchange, Sharepoint services. Because today you have to buy a third party solution. There are a lot of Educational institutes around the world in the free edition of Office365 on the Campus Agreement, but backup, restore services of Office 365 is a must have. Think about backup and restore mailboxes, teamsites of Sharepoint etc. Best Regards, James

1,971 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  72 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Backup On-Premises VM to Azure and Restore the VM in Azure

When creating a new machine an Option to select an backup for restore would be great.

1,301 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    unplanned  ·  32 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Migrate data from GRS to LRS

I have an existing vault that uses GRS storage. I want to make use of the new LRS storage available. However this LRS choice is available only to new vaults created.

I don't want to lose the data that has already been backed up to Azure. Can I migrate my data and vault from GRS storage to LRS storage?

794 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    unplanned  ·  30 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Backup Azure PaaS resources

Backup any Azure PaaS resource using Azure Backup. Please comment with resources you are looking backup support for.

570 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    53 comments  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 490 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  23 comments  ·  Retention and Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. move vm from recovery services vault to new vault

I need a way to move a VM from one recovery services vault to another. For example, I want to stop backing up a VM in recovery services vault A, and start backing up the VM in recovery services vault B. At the moment, I can stop backing up the VM, but cannot choose to back it up in the other vault.

453 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Automatically upgrade MARS via Windows Update

We have had frequent updates of the MARS agent in the last few months. The last update is required for accurate pricing based on the April 2015 changes. But there is little to prompt admins to do this. There needs to be automatic (manually prompting adds unwanted and unnecessary work) upgrades of the agents.

319 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  6 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable Full Backup/Bare Metal Recovery with Azure Backup Standalone (no DPM)

Enhance Azure Backup to be able to support Bare Metal Recovery, Full Image backups.

NOTE: This is without the use/requirement of DPM.
    Please refer to the following UserVoice suggestion: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/258995-azure-backup-and-scdpm/suggestions/6874594-bmr-thru-azure-backup#{togglepreviousstatuses}.

221 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently there is support available for backing up System State using just the MARS Agent to recover to the same/similar hardware in case of server or software malfunction.

We wanted to understand the scenarios where a full server recovery cannot be achieved using Azure Site Recovery. Please share your feedback so we can review and plan this accordingly.

9. Enable SQL database backup in MARS

Enable SQL database backup in MARS.

We would like to use MARS also to backup SQL databases.
    Now we have to use DPM/MABS and that is overkill for only the backup.

We have around 180 servers with SQL databases spread over the world. And installing DPM on all these sites is overkill.

So we like to have the option to use MARS also for SQL database backup.

167 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Email notification bor successfull backup of files

please add an option to receive alerts by mail when backup succeed. For all kinds of backups.

154 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Backup Tables and Blobs

Ability to restore and schedule backups of Azure Table Storage and Blob Storage.

154 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  PaaS Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. multiple backups per VM per day

You have GOT to be kidding me, you can ONLY backup an Azure VM ONCE a day?! What the heck Microsoft?! We MUST have the option to backup a VM as MANY TIMES A DAY as we choose. We are paying for the backup, the storage, and the VM so why do you guys prevent this? I feel like I am dealing with a new company in the 90's but no, its Microsoft the biggest bunch of backwards thinking company there is. This is why I go open source, only MS for clients. Because of this backwards design, my client…

130 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  6 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Pausing of Azure Backup

Pausing a large backup, particularly the initial Online backup, would have saved me 4-5 days vs. starting from scratch. Additionally, you can't throttle bandwidth while a backup is running. Pausing would should also allow a change in throttling.

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Use TAGS for selecting Backup schedule/policy

Today, I like to use TAGS to identify who owns a VM, where charges should go, who to contact for support, etc. I'd like to be able to use a tag to determine AUTOMATICALLY what backup schedule/policy to use. Veeam has an option to do that based on vSphere tags. I'd like to propose that as an enhancement if it's not already in the works. Thanks.

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Configure Notifications for Backup Alerts in Recovery Service Vaults with PowerShell

When using Recovery Services Vaults to backup VMs in Azure, we can configure Backup Alert notifications using the portal- it would be useful if this could be done with PowerShell as well.

Use case- we want to turn on email notifications on all our vaults, or update/add an email address.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure/recovery-services-vault-backup-alerts-configure-notifications/m-p/1213218

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Change Resource Group for restorePointCollections

"Microsoft.Compute/restorePointCollections are store in a special ressource group named : AzureBackup<Region><number>.

The good idea could be to be able to configure an other RG for each Recovery Service Vault to store restorePointCollections.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make Consitency Check jobs Faster

Time taken by Consistency check jobs have been always a pain when it comes to enterprise level backups with huge Datasources and high amount of churn. i have seen CC jobs going for days failing and restarting. We can only expect the data to grow in future which calls for a better solution for these CC jobs

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Azure VPN gateway should support MARS agent backup

Currently, Azure VPN gateway only support IaaS service, like Azure VM. We hope Azure VPN gateway can support MARS agent backup.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MARS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Option to delete specific recovery points

Add an option to delete individual recovery points. Alternatively if that is not possible add option to continue purging old backups according to the backup policy after server has been deleted\renamed\migrated (VNET migration).

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base