How can we improve Microsoft Azure Machine Learning?

F# Support in Azure ML

Azure ML is great. I would like Azure ML to support F# -> with both the code sample gen (currently C#) and the script support (currently R).

874 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jamie Dixon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anish Talukdar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi azure ml team, I am working in azure ml. I need some support from your side, I go through all the documents you provided in msdn, but it is not enough for my experiment. Please provide some help.

• Uki D. Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like Microsoft to add f# Kernel to Azure ML Jupyter Notebook.

Life would be perfect afterwards.

• Tom Pittman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has definitely gotten better during the Satya Nadella era, but here is an example of just how far it still has to go.

It just blows my mind that we have to persuade Microsoft again and again about the potential of F#!

Never in the history of our industry has there ever been so much global interest in functional programming. It's trending so hard that all maintained object-oriented programming languages are falling over themselves to add as much functional programming to their languages as they can.

Right now FP is a "blue ocean" just waiting for that smart, cross-platform language and ecosystem for people to flock to. After all, who wants to learn Elixir or Erlang for the back end, Elm for web front end, and then continue to use OOP Swift, C# and Java for native apps?

F# could be that ONE functional programming language that enterprises could standardize on to cover web, iOS, Android, Windows, etc., thanks to Microsoft's acquisition of Xamarin. How I wish Microsoft would wake up and realize that and take advantage of its current lead.

Instead, Microsoft seems to only see F# as a place to steal ideas from for C#.

Make C# AND F# run everywhere; give the world a clear path to functional programming, and take advantage of the trend, rather than chase it.

• Jack Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In general, why do some project teams at Microsoft think it is a good idea to develop software projects that do not expose a library API, preferably .NET? Fine, put a fancy front end on it. Another example of this is Visual Studio IntelliTest. Why no .NET API?

• Samantha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do we need to provide business cases here? Oh do I want to use an awesome language that I use everyday for my ML projects? Yep. Would wider .Net support open ML to more developers? Yep. How is this a question? I don't know!

• Jeff Mastry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the sad state of F# tooling in Visual Studio and Microsoft's concerted efforts around R, I am not surprised by this response at all.

• Isaac Abraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the idea of the original post is to request actual support F# within Azure ML directly. We're all aware that F# can consume a REST API - and as such, the other point from the OP was to have a sample that would illustrate how to do that - but the main goal is to enable rich (any?) support for F# directly within Azure ML.

• Kevin Hannen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to vote for this but can't because it's closed. Seems strange to solicit suggestions then _completely_ ignore them.

• danvanderboom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

.NET support for Azure ML in general would be great, with support for any .NET language being possible at that point. There are some great C# machine learning libraries, and I don't understand why those aren't currently accessible.

• Neeraj (MSFT) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, you should be able to call web service built on Azure ML from F#. We will continue to evaluate the relative prioritization for deep integration like R based on customer feedback for future roadmap

• MarkTab marktab.net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked Roger Barga about .NET support in general for AzureML during the Worldwide Partner Conference (Joseph Sirosh was there too). Contact me to see how he replied.

Feedback and Knowledge Base