How can we improve Microsoft Azure Machine Learning?

Package management

The current way of adding additional R packages to Azure ML is insanely time consuming. There should be a way to install packages from CRAN along with the required dependencies.

I have tried to install the tidytext package using the method described here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjguin/2014/09/24/how-to-upload-an-r-package-to-azure-machine-learning/

When installing tidytext into a clean package library directory there are a total of 23 dependent packages that get installed. I then need to reference which ones are already installed on Azure, check if the version is up to date, package, upload and then install individually (in the correct order).

Azure ML Studio should be able to download the files from the CRAN repo as well as check for and install dependencies. How is this feature not a top priority?

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David Richards shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christos Karras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I accidently clicked on "Flag as inappropriate" and can't remove the flag. This request is NOT inappropriate, in fact I completely agree it should be a high priority.

Feedback and Knowledge Base