How can we improve Microsoft Azure Site Recovery Service?

Support for offline replication data transfer from on premise to Azure

A feature that enables to faster, effective & secure export of large number of virtual machine replication storage using an external storage device and ship it to Azure for import.

376 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anoob Backer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Allan Ruiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure Data Box... Azure Data Box Disk... Azure Data Box Heavy... and no ASR support... You're missing an opportunity. Since 2014...

• Brad Busch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is available for Azure Backup already, let's get the teams together and make this available for ASR. This was being planned in 2015, what happened? There is obviously a use case for this.

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality is also needed when replicated VM's are moved between on premise datacenters. It would be nice to be able to keep the data already replicated and use it to preseed the VM replication after it has been moved to the other datacenter.

• Brian “B” Laws commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is critically needed. My customer has one SQL Server VM with 17+ TB of disk and another with 8.5 TB with only a 1 Gbps uplink. We tried ASR protection but found that the storage array would run out of space, crashing the server. We would like to use ASR as the single solution for their entire DR, but large VMs like this make that impossible. Being able to seed huge VMs like this using offline replication could enable these scenarios.

• Bryan Rias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking at a customer with 125 Servers to be protected. The # of TB's that by default come with that # of VM's, would limit any efficient manner to replicate systems in waves. The waves get drawn out too long without seeding.

The Offline Replication Seeding with Data Box or other Snowball like service, knowing you want to go after larger customers, should have been road-mapped closer to MVP.

Please consider this capability, as you are causing creative variances from a viable ASR solution, that typically causes providers to chose other DR solutions that handle pre-seeding options out of the box. That way we can manage overall DR projects more efficiently.

When I look at customers that have Hyper-V and or Physical servers, it would be nice to have ASR as an unhindered lever or decision to make. Instead, we look at other options which is a shame.

Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a customer who would like to replicate a series of VMs with a total data capacity of over a Petabyte which makes using ExpressRoute challenging even at its highest capacity.

• Sam Wozniak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, initial replication of large VMs is the biggest PITA with ASR IMHO. I see the Import/Export service can do something, but I didn't see any ASR specific support in any doc I read recently.

• Brian Supple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add my voice to this request. It's a road block for ASR with many of our customers. The initial upload is taking too long and is hammering their internet connection.

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is needed, even by customers who have high bandwidth but do not want to wait weeks for the initial replication. This service would see considerably higher usage with this improvement. Any progress on it as of March 2017?

• Thomas Sloan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Asked by MS support to vote for this option and was given this link.... LOl

YES--I Vote YES... This option is SOOOO needed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So exactly how do you replicate 15 TB of systems across a 2 mbps production link - will take a year. MS need to start recognising that not every business in the world has open gbps network connections. This will be the sole reason my organisation will not be using ASR.

• Thomas Sloan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a customer now with two servers totally 7+TB. This feature is sorely needed.
        We have many other customers with even slower internet connections we want to offer this to but just can't right now.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base