How can we improve Microsoft Azure Site Recovery Service?

Support for exisiting extended replication

Currently Extended replication is unsupported for Azure site recovery. Site recovery should fully support all features of server 2012 R2 hypervisors including extended replication.

396 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Don shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    unplanned  ·  ruturajd responded  · 

Thank you for the feedbacks. Ensure that the experience requirements are mentioned in the comments. We have started looking into this.
    Kindly email asgang at Microsoft dot com so that as part of the early feature gathering – we can discuss and understand the key requirements.

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I could use this for at least 10 different corporations I administer. Azure would make a killing of off this feature.

• Barron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a no brainer IMHO. I would immediately put all my clients on this. With the RPO's on ASR, its not only a short-time DR solution, its long term also. I'm not sure MS knows how much pressure this feature will put on the backup competitors. Why would you go with a third party, when it's built into Hyper-V? Bye Arc UDP...Bye BE.....

Do It! Dooo it!

+1 for

Primary Hypervisor -> Replication target -> Extended replication target

Primary Hypervisor -> Replication target -> Azure

• Steve Burkett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also be useful in an on-premises-to-Azure migration scenario to help meet a customer RPO/RTO for DR.

There's a period of time when you cut over to your replicated workload running in Azure, having shut down your on-premises server, that you no longer have DR cover against a catastrophic datacenter failure event. You need to quickly add the newly migrated VMs to a new ASR instance and then wait for an initial replication to again complete before you are again protected.

This might be a good number of hours for large SQL servers or document repositories, where the customer has no Azure DR failover capability?

Extended replication to a secondary Azure datacenter could mean the bulk of the data is already in place and the exposure to risk minimised.

Just to add my voice: Extended replication to Azure would be a tremendous benefit to our company. It would also add a solution already in place with Microsoft's competitors. Thanks. -Brad

• Andrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, please implement extended replication to the Azure recovery site, it's very important future.

• Andrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have 3 Hyper-V hosts which are all replicating to a dedicated replica server located on-prem.
        Having an extended replica to Azure would be a great benefit. Waiting impatiently for this feature to be available.

Enabling extended replication for Azure Site Recovery will be very helpful and would afford us easy on premise and offsite (Azure) recovery in the event of a disaster.

• AMT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Hyper-V replica between two on-premise hosts. If one server has a hardware failure we can quickly recover with the replicas on the other server. While great for a constrained hardware failure, this solution provides no recovery option for a larger scale incident that impacts both servers (e.g. fire in the data center). Ideally, we would like to further extend replication from the local servers to an Azure vault, thereby giving us both a local and cloud-based replica.

We have a customer with 2 Hyper-V hosts on premise that replicate to the other. They now require off site replication to Azure. What are my options. I cannot use site recovery replication whilst the on site servers replicate to each other.

This would be a tremendous option to provide - how is this not possible yet?
        Please expedite inclusion of this feature!

• Omar Droubi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not supporting Extended Replicas with Azure is really weak. Cmon Microsoft--get it together-this is really a great selling point to get clients into Azure

• Carlos Sanchez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have some custumers that are alrady using prem replica. But is a major wish to have the extended replica not to an own DC but to Azure. The requirement should be: Extended replica from a single hyper-v host (hosting the passive replica), consistent change management (if the source VM is changed, ex. a disk is added), manage some kind of cutover feature where if there is some problem with the replication for a period of time it could resume or cut the replica but make a resh new one keeping the last good replica. Is important that if the is a prem failover the azure replica change from extended to simple replica and last but not least the capability to go back to prem after a failover.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We replicate between two on-premises Hyper-V servers but want to provide an offsite replica using extended replica to Azure Site Recovery.

• K.C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Likewise, we replicate servers between local virtual hosts using Hyper-V replication. It would be key for our organization's DR plan to be able to send extended replicas to Azure. I was a little bit surprised that this functionality is not already there. Is there any update on an ETA?

• John Wager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also replicate between servers internally and the lack of Extended Replication into Azure means having to use an alternative solution to provide full cover.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base