VM Role - add Gen2 support
Excited to share that this is now supported at the VMM layer as well as the WAP layer in UR6. Please run WAP UR6 with SPF/VMM UR6 to provide this functionality to your tenants. We are listening to your feedback and implementing the features you need, so please share any feedback on this new feature.
Samir FARHAT (MVP) commented
Added with Update Rollup 6
Nail Mukhametshin commented
What to expect in UR6
Update Release 6 will go out on April 28th and here are some highlights of added functionality and bug fixes you can expect to see!
- Tenants can now create a checkpoint of a Virtual Machine and restore it at will when needed.
- VMM Users can now deploy and manage Generation 2 VMs through VM Roles using WAP and the corresponding UR6 SPF Resource Provider.
- Added support to maintain Data Consistency between the SQL Resource Provider configured properties for resources with the actual provisioned resources on the SQL Server Hosting machine(s).
- Added support for Webjobs in Windows Azure Pack Websites. This functionality offers creation of Webjobs to be executed manually or continuously in the background.
- Tenants can now use deployment slots associated to their websites. Web app content and configurations elements can be swapped between two deployment slots, including the production slot.
- Administrator can take advantage of DSC to deploy the update across a distributed environment.
- Windows Azure Pack Websites can now take advantage of the HttpPlatformHandler to host Java and other runtimes.
- Updates to Management Pack
-- Synthetic Transactions
-- Resource Governor Error Monitors
-- Monitor Certificate Validation Disabled
-High Priority Bug Fixes
Paulo Dias commented
Any news on this one?
Vahric Muhtaryan commented
Actually i couldn't understand such Gen2 is not adapted . VMM , Win 2012 R2 Hyper-V support it and it shouldn't be a problem for WAP. To attach a disk shutting down the VM is not good thing this days
Folks, can you please add Gen2 support for the VM Role. For each WAP IAAS scenario we are implementing for a customer we are forced to deploy all VM Roles based on Gen1. Its a hard sell to tell them that in a short to mid term everything should be converted to Gen2 to be more future proof. They choose WAP with the VM Role to be more future proof in the first place.