API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix on-error + set-body policy bug

There is a doc bug and potentially a behavior bug in the global on-error policy definition.

The doc states that set-body is not supported in the on-error policy but it appears to work. Setting the template type to "liquid", however, does not work.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/api-management/api-management-error-handling-policies

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Describe what a member is and must have

Describe what restrictions are put on members. Must member be users with accounts in some local active directory? Are members just strings so any name can be entered?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. disable obsolete versions of API. How to define a strategy

As we move forward in building API lot of obsolete functionality needs to be disabled and allow application teams to use the latest version of API. How to achieve removing old API versions and keeping only last 3 versions. Identify teams using older API and notify them of support related risk

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. support template parameters in the version id

support template parameters in the version id.

We should support template parameters in versionId so that APIM API url doesn't have to end with version name every time.

For example, the usage URL can look like http://harryapimanagement.azure-api.net/api/v1.0/content instead of http://harryapimanagement.azure-api.net/api/content/v1.0

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Deploy policy as xml file

If we keep policies as XML (instead of allowing policy definition in JSON for instance) can we deploy the policy as a separate XML file so we don't have to have escaped XML within JSON templates? This is similar to B2C IEF custom policies which are uploaded as XML files.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Authentication failure signing in the Developer Portal using Azure AD

After correctly configuring Azure AD integration (as specified here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/api-management/api-management-howto-aad) we experienced authentication failures when Azure Active Directory sign-in was selected.

The problem happened to be with custom domain hostname for the Portal. Unless all lowercase letters are used in custom domain hostname, Azure AD sign-in doesn't work and shows message: "Authentication Failed".

The simple solution would be to force all lower case when configuring custom domains either by converting user entered host names to lowercase or preventing users from entering caps.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to enable/select features, like VNet support, in APIM tiers

My client has two API management instances, one for production environment and one for staging/testing environment. Each of those instances are deployed into the same internal virtual network as the production and staging/testing AKS cluster respectively. I believe this setup is good for several reasons, one being security. It also means that the setup is taking advantage of the Vnet support of APIM.

After some investigation of irregular spikes in latency and response time in applications consuming data using APIM as their entry point, I could confirm that one of those response time spike occurrences was because of an OS…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Pricing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow hostnames without certificates for self-hosted gateways

In a self-host gateway deployment I don't always need a publicly verifiable TLS certificate. I'd like to be able to allow additional hostnames, IP addresses, or even localhost as listening endpoints without having to specify a certificate.

Right now this makes it quite difficult to test the self-host gateway. I've wound up adding a hosts entry to shoehorn my publish APIM DNS name to my local gateway IP so I can test connectivity over http but this is far less than ideal.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Update REST API Location Field

Update location field value to match other Azure services. APIM REST API returns format "East US" other services return "eastus".

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Service management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add support for displaying the URL from the Swagger object externalDocs

The Swagger standard supports the object type externalDocs, it would be nice if the APIM portal could read this and show it the url on the portal

https://github.com/Azure/api-management-developer-portal/issues/1024

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Filter and change retention time of the data the gets stored in the analytics part

We need to be able to set the retention time of the data that gets stored in the analytics part of API Management and also be able to filter what categories of data that are digested and displayed due to GDPR.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Return password with user object in ARM-based REST API

I am using REST API to get a list of users who signed up on the developer portal.

I implemented this logic by using ARM-based REST API, I found this document for archive this,
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/apimanagement/2019-12-01/user/listbyservice

But, by using this API it does not return the password of the registered user, so If I want to use these users in my other application then without a password I cannot use, please provide a password as well with user properties in response.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Mark API URL Suffix as mandatory (red asterisk) after an empty value is accepted for one API

Mark API URL Suffix as mandatory (red asterisk) after an empty value is accepted for one API.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Regenerating user keys needs a confirmation

Regenerating a key is the option right next to show/hide keys. It is extremely easy to click the wrong button because the page shifts, and there is no confirmation before the key is regenerating. This could bring down entire sites.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. XSD for polices

Is there a published XSD version for polices syntax ?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Improve the policy viewer

APIM supports full screen editing of policies, which is nice, but the policy viewer modal (visible when clicking "View effective policy for the selected scope") could be improved with full screen support.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Want API subscriber email request to show what environment they are wanting to subscribe to.

Prior to April 1, 2020 the potential API subscriber email included the environment of the API service that they are wanting to subscribe to. This is no longer being shown in the emails and we would like this feature back please. Please view attached emails to see what has changed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Display the given name of styles during editing

Example Header names: Heading 1 renamed to FooBar.
    When creating a new Text widget with a Heading the Style is still displayed as Heading 1 instead of FooBar. For working in a team it is necessary to use the internal style guides for a clear design. It would facilitate communicating in a group if those were the Names of the Style.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Documentation for API Management clone feature

There doesn't seem to be documentation which describes the functionality of the Clone operation for API Management within the Azure Portal. A user is forced to experiment with the feature. It would improve user experience if there was either in-portal help, or official Microsoft documentation which describes the Clone operation.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Pull API URL Suffix from basepath as default value while allowing user to change it

Pull API URL Suffix from basepath as default value while allowing user to change it

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base