API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 5 Rules For API Management

These five rules are by no means the final say on API management, but they do provide context for the overall market:
    1. Design. Make the APIs accessible to different classes of developers and partners. ...
    2. Documentation. To make APIs accessible, offer documentation and communication tools to make it easy to create and manage the applications built on the API itself. ...
    3. Analytics. ...
    4. Universal Access. ...
    5. Uptime.

What do you think? What are some other principles to follow when managing APIs?

https://www.justcerts.com/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Same logic apps name but in different resource group problem

When setting up backend resource to logic apps, when we have two logic apps with same name but in different resource group and if we choose the second logic app, it links to first one. This is very annoying because the logic app is always getting selected from top in the list.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow asymmetric key validation with validate-jwt policy

Currently Validate-JWT policy does not support asymmetric key validation.
    The JWT token is encrypted for various reasons with asymmetric key specially in case of B2B scenarios.

We need a way to specify the IssuerSigningKey to validate-jwt policy.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/aspnet/jwt-validation-and-authorization-in-asp-net-core/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Toolbox should be movable

It would be comfortable to be able to move the Toolbox on the left, so that the content behind it can be accessed and edited. One way to achieve it would be to move the Toolbox via drag and drop to another place and/or screen.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow people to provide feedback without asking for access to their GitHub account

I would like to provide feedback on Azure but the feedback link requires me to grant access to my GitHub account. Since my feedback and my use of Azure do not involve my GitHub account I am not willing to grant access, so I am unable to provide feedback.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Reset password captcha breaks when the placeholder contains a single quote

In javascript console I get:

Bindings value: { hipUrl: .... placeholder: 'Immettere l'immagine CAPTCHA qui' } -> Message: Unexpected identifier

as the placeholder is not escaped and contains a single quote.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow free trail to create service principal

When creating a service principal I get
    command used : az ad sp create-for-rbac
    Directory permission is needed for the current user to register the application. For how to configure, please refer 'https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-create-service-principal-portal'. Original error: Insufficient privileges to complete the operation.
    I'm on a free trail, and I need the service principal details to allow for automation (using terraform)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. API Data Streaming while calling backend

We have a need to call a backend document API which may return large documents (200 - 500 MB). Can we have a feature of data streaming enabled. Also, this can run longer than the current timeout limit of 240 seconds.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. APIM integration with AKS

A seamless integration of APIM with the AKS Cluster. The process now in place seems complicated and needs to go through trial/error to get it done.
    Moreover the APIM fails to recognize the swagger definition as the APIs exposed via AKS load-balancer is internal. Azure DevOps though creates the APIM service but fails to map it to the AKS ILB.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow backend call details in "context" interface

It would be very usefull to have access to backend call details via a new context "backend" interface so we could have access to "status code", backend url, call duration...
    In fact all that could be usefull to analyse "backend calls" in outbound policies.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. API Details page does not display correctly when importing OpenAPI operations with long "summary" values

If you import an OpenAPI file, the first 300 characters of an API operation's "summary" value (if one exists) gets mapped into the Display Name of an API operation in APIM.

Typically the summary is a long value. The API Details page for the API displays incorrectly as a result. The Display Name does not wrap and a scroll bar appears on screen.

In addition, the Display Name is displayed three times on the API Details page: on the left hand menu that contains the operations, the operation title and the operation description.

My suggestion is to map the "summary"…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve C# code sample template for PATCH operations

Currently, the C# code sample template doesn't have a case for PATCH operations (other Http methods are listed). Would be good to fix this gap in the interest of completeness.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Render placeholders for request headers in sample code templates

The code samples in the developer portal (curl, c#, java, etc.) do not render a placeholder value for request header parameters, aside from a few special ones like subscription key, authorization, content-type, etc. I can fix this in the Liquid template, but this might be a good improvement for APIM out of the box.

For example, if I have the following required header parameter defined in my OpenApi definition for a PATCH request:
    {
    "name": "If-Match",
    "in": "header",
    "description": " ETag of the entity",
    "required": true,
    "type": "string"
    }

The Curl code sample renders this header without any {placeholder} value…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to update Expired Invite messaging

Hi Team,
    Can you please add support to customize the language/message in "Invalid invitation token" page?
    We want to use a more user friendly message in our APIM instance, instead of the default one.

FYI:
    Invalid invitation token
    Please note that confirmation links are valid for only 48 hours. If you are still within this timeframe, please make sure your link is correct. If your link has expired, then please repeat the action you're trying to confirm.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. format property for parameters

Import an API with the following swagger parameter definition

'parameters': [

{
    'name': 'orderId',
    'in': 'path',
    'description': 'The order identifier.',
    'required': true,
    'type': 'integer',
    'format': 'int64'
    }

format is ignored by the API management. Developers downloading the API definition using Developer portal will only see:

'parameters': [

{
    'name': 'orderId',
    'in': 'path',
    'description': 'Format - int64. The order identifier.',
    'required': true,
    'type': 'integer'
    }

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Filter doesn't clear properly

The 'filter' option on the new APIM portal does not work well. If I select an API, then filter on the url displayname and perform an action, the filter resets, but doesn't clear out the text that I entered for the search. I then have to clear out the filtered text I typed in, and re-add it. It makes performing multiple tasks difficult. This happens in both Edge and Firefox.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support additional filters on the GET /subscriptions endpoint

Currently, the GET /subscriptions endpoint in the Management API doesn't support OData filtering on the primary/secondary subscription key. This would make a nice enhancement.

For example:

https://myservice.management.azure-api.net/subscriptions?api-version=2014-02-14-preview&$filter=primaryKey eq '12345'

Current documentation for this endpoint:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/apimanagement/subscriptions#Subscriptions_ListByService

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Service management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow for R Code Samples

It would be beneficial for researchers and developers to include a Code Sample for APIs in R.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow option to collapse or hide the right-hand pane in the APIM policy editor

Allow option to collapse or hide the right pane in the policy editor. The pane I am referring to is the one that lists available policy configuration templates you can click on to add to the template editor.

I personally never use this pane and it takes up precious real estate in the window. The user cannot hide, resize, or collapse this pane to free up more space for the editor itself. The "expand" button for the editor will automatically hide/collapse some of the left-hand side panes, but not this right-hand pane.

Please allow users to collapse or hide this…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base