API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

How can we improve Azure API Management?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide options to show all APIs in Azure Portal

Azure portal does show a limited list of APIs (100). It allows to search but would be nice if you can show how many APis exist, how many are loaded in the screen and an option to load the next 100 APIs.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stuggeling to find the latest supported ARM API Version and Parameter

I find it quite hard to figure out what API Versions are available for a certain resource and what options/parameters every Version offers.
    This makes it quite hard to find Schema Changes between each API Version and to find out if new features have been added to the Resource Definition.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to specify notification email proxy

We use an external API to generate, style and send all our systems' emails. To replicate those email templates in APIM requires a copy/paste in several different template fields. It would be great to specify some endpoint that we can POST/GET to send the APIM email values to a service. We can model the service endpoints to match whatever APIM sends.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Edit Internal Email Templates

Please add the ability to edit the internal emails sent when users sign up.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Disable the Developer portal

Could you please provide a feature to disable the Developer portal (a feature to hide the login page) for users who do not use the developer portal.
    -The feature to disable the Developer portal
    -The feature to restrict access to Developer portal by IP address
    etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow OAuth2.0/OpenID Connect Authentication when testing APIs through the Azure Portal.

Whenever an API requires OAuth2.0 or OpenID Connection authentication, through the Developer Portal you can authenticate at the defined STS. Yet, in the Azure Management Portal, when testing your API, this 'button' or feature is missing. To me, this renders the Test option useless, because all our APIs require OAuth...

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support for Node.js like APIGEE

I hope you would have seen other API tools like APIGEE. Just in case I have a local node. js application, I should be quickly upload into API management portal and act as a back end. This will help me to quickly complement any missing capabilities like support for MangoDB or ReDis or mem cache for caching instead of using default cache mechanism provided by default. Another use case that I can think of, is that I have some on prem data like stores and there location. Then I would like to have some of these data exported to user…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Miao Jiang responded

Hi Venkatesh,

Can you please elaborate more on what you would like to see in Azure API Management? If I understand correctly you’d like to be able to import your APIs written in Node.js into API Management with a easy solution?

8. Support both OAuth and OpenID Connect at the same time

API supports both OAuth and OpenID Connect at the same time. Need to let user pick one in dev portal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. UI bug while adding subscriber --. Product drop down is not visible

UI bug while adding subscriber --. Product drop down is not visible if we leave the first two fields as empty. Its saying Select Resource blade.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ability to update Expired Invite messaging

Hi Team,
    Can you please add support to customize the language/message in "Invalid invitation token" page?
    We want to use a more user friendly message in our APIM instance, instead of the default one.

FYI:
    Invalid invitation token
    Please note that confirmation links are valid for only 48 hours. If you are still within this timeframe, please make sure your link is correct. If your link has expired, then please repeat the action you're trying to confirm.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Filter doesn't clear properly

The 'filter' option on the new APIM portal does not work well. If I select an API, then filter on the url displayname and perform an action, the filter resets, but doesn't clear out the text that I entered for the search. I then have to clear out the filtered text I typed in, and re-add it. It makes performing multiple tasks difficult. This happens in both Edge and Firefox.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Storage Firewall Support for APIM Backups

I recently found out that the Backup-AzureRmApiManagment cmdlet fails if the storage account used to store the backups is protected by a firewall. According to MS Premier Support, the only option is to remove the firewalls. I would request that API Management backups support the use of a storage account that is protected by a firewall.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Force API to a particular http version irrespective of the http version from the backend

Azure API Management have switched to http/1.0 based on few error calls coming from background.

It would be great for us to be able to force a particular http version for the whole API

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. make the "group by tag" selection standing when exit "API menu" in Azure portal

The "group by tag" selection in the APIs menu (list) in the Azure portal is lost when exiting the menu. It's tedious to set it again each time.
    The best would be to have a behavior set in a "preferences" menu :)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add support for dynamic quota

to aggregating quota limit from different product SKUs.

for example, if user plans to budget 150,000 calls per month he can buy SKU1 with 100,000 and SKU2 with 50,000 calls and the aggregate is calculated for this subscriber and enforced by APIM. this way we just create a few SKUs and allow users to mix and match based on their requirements.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under current model SKU1 and SKU2 would be 2 different products with two separate subscriptions and keys. So this is not a trivial change but we understand the scenario and will keep it in mind.

16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The duration measure in Diagnostics logs

We configured API management to send diagnostic log info to App Insights. We found that sometimes the duration reported by APIM are very high (4 minutes) although there is a cache hit and the duration to the backend service is 0.

We asked Microsoft support about this and they said that it's probably due to the client connectivity or network issue with the client.

We would like if the duration measure does not include the client time and only the time that the APIM takes to serve the request so we can see how our API is performing.

Please see…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow mock response headers

In the API Management, UI, we can define mock response headers but they are not being applied to the mock response.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve the policy viewer

APIM supports full screen editing of policies, which is nice, but the policy viewer modal (visible when clicking "View effective policy for the selected scope") could be improved with full screen support.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

API Management

Feedback and Knowledge Base