API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for Reserved IPs

At present API Management instance VIPs are static for the lifetime of that service instance with some exceptions, for example adding or removing a VNET (see http://aka.ms/apimfaq). Reserved IPs on the other hand are absolutely immutable and transcend service instance lifetime. They have an extra benefit of being used when accessing other Azure resources, e.g. storage, within the same region. See https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-networks-reserved-public-ip/ for more information on Reserved IPs.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow user to manage API when primary location is down

When a new API Management Service is created, we need to choose an Azure location (say, Australia Southeast).

Afterwards, we can scale the API Management Services to a second Azure location (say, Australia East).

When Australia Southeast region has an outage, API can still be accessed via Australia East region. However, we cannot "manage" (e.g. add a new API or update API backend URL) the API Management Service during the "primary location" (Australia Southeast in the example) outage.

It will be great if user can still manage the API Management Service when the "primary location" is down.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow tagging/categorization of APIs, operations, policies

Either a single hierarchical category field or use flat tags where multiple can be applied to the same resource.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Communicate unavailability of backend services

Hi all,

It will be great that Azure will manage the unavailability in backend services. It es, Health Management.

When my backend service is unavailble (for some reason) It will be great Azure communicates it in some way, with the administrator, for example?

I will be a good idea to send SNMP traps when any backend service is unavailable, for instance.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Manually Failover API Managemnet Service to secondary Datacenter

Please provide the manual failover functionality for API Management (Premium SKU) service to the secondary datacenter.

This is an important requirement for a successful DR Drill.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. throttling alert for api/product

We are looking for possiblities to trigger an alert when throttling policy gets affective to the client for an api or product.

currently there is out of the box alert based on the quota!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow the creation of new Templates

As an administrator I would like to be able to create a new page template and use it in the custom page content. Also it would be extremely useful to allow the administrator to use an existing template on a custom content page.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add ability to turn off the Register Application Button in Profile

We are utilizing the portal for API's which my company is publishing. We don't want the user to be able to add their own application. How can I turn off the register application button on a developers profile?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Limit call rate by key in the Consumption tier

The rate-limit-by-key policy prevents API usage spikes on a per key basis by limiting the call rate to a specified number per a specified time period. This is really important feature of api managament and it's not available in Consumption tier.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve the documentation on how Security Works

Currently some of the security documentation is downright wrong.
    Some of it is at best confusing
    Some if it is incomplete - providing a singleton example and not explaining the options

And worst of all, its in a video. Which means its
    --> Not searchable
    --> Not easily usable as a reference
    --> extremely time consuming to follow (I can't read at MY pace I have to follow the video's pace)
    --> Does not give me concrete examples I can try

Since Security is a critical aspect of what Azure API Management provides - it really needs to be documented…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow to link css and javascript files to the HTML head segment.

Allow to link css and javascript files to the HTML head segment.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Time zone support

It seems that only the developer portal is time zone aware. The api management part not. I noticed this by email notifications that were sent with a different time zone than what I configured in the developer portal setting.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Increase invitation Timeout

Hi Team,
    Can we increase the invitation expiration time from 48 hours to 72 hours or longer?
    When we send out invitations on Fridays, most of them are missed, and we have to resend them on Monday again.
    Please take this use case into account.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Provide API Management in the German Cloud

German companies are starting to deploy their workloads in the Cloud but in the German one and many of our clients ask about the availability of the API Management in this region. Actually is a very important service for them.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. API Backend

When browsing for Azure Resource it would be very useful to have the list also show what subscription the logic app belongs to. This way we would minimize the risk of sending data to a production logic app instead of a test. If you have divided them up that way.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Open up more of the Orchard CMS features

Not being able to create a custom pages for the "generated" ones; e.g. apis, products and applications, is extremely limiting.

Having more Orchard CMS features available might solve a lot of the customization issues we have.

Unfortunately, it is so limiting that we are seriously considering a different solution for publishing our APIs. It is a shame that the lack of CMS features for customizing the look and feel can be the deal breaker.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We are working on a feature that will allow customers to customize generated pages. It should be out soon. We will announce it on http://aka.ms/apimdocs page. If you get a chance to review it please let us know if it fulfills your needs.

17. Provide a GUI for editing subscription key parameter names

Currently, APIM supports the ability to rename (on a per-API basis) the subscription key header/query parameter. This functionality is only available via the REST API, and we’ve made use of this feature to rename the parameter so that it more closely aligns with our company’s brand.

While using the REST API is reasonable, it would be more convenient to surface these fields in the UI, perhaps on the API page Settings tab or even better as an instance-level setting to serve as the default for any new APIs.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. APIM Publisher Portal link is broken

On the blade for APIM, the "Publisher Portal" link no longer brings up the Publisher Portal as of 20190911. It now brings up the non-GA Developer Portal. Please restore the previous functionality, or provide another means to access the trend information.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    triaged  ·  2 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ping endpoint

To facilitate the management of a given instance of APIM, I’d like to see a lightweight authorized “Ping” endpoint exposed in the APIM REST API (ex: HEAD /ping). This endpoint would allow a Publisher (me) to ensure that he’s able to communicate with the Management REST API (i.e., the URL and credentials being used are correct).

I will be driving the provisioning/management/monitoring of my instance of APIM using the REST API from within my company’s Operations software (a mixture of System Center and other internal software). So I would encode into my monitoring software a periodic call to the Ping…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Utilize Power BI for analytics

It would be great to have the option to use Power BI for analysis of data that today is available through the webinterface/apis.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base