API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide Rich Text Editor in API/Operation Descriptions

For the API and Operation description (or any other that supports HTML, e.g. response descriptions) fields, instead of having to input HTML, a basic WYSIWYG editor would be nice so simple things like bold/emphasis/underline/lists/etc... can be created easily by people not strong in HTML and then having to save/view to test what it may look like.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for Reserved IPs

At present API Management instance VIPs are static for the lifetime of that service instance with some exceptions, for example adding or removing a VNET (see http://aka.ms/apimfaq). Reserved IPs on the other hand are absolutely immutable and transcend service instance lifetime. They have an extra benefit of being used when accessing other Azure resources, e.g. storage, within the same region. See https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-networks-reserved-public-ip/ for more information on Reserved IPs.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow tagging/categorization of APIs, operations, policies

Either a single hierarchical category field or use flat tags where multiple can be applied to the same resource.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add ARM support for deployment of the operations, etc.

Support to deploy all the configuration via ARM what now possible is via GIT.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to delegate security on Content pages

We like to provide additional information to our authorized users in a more secure manner.
    Anonymous guests shouldn't be able to see any and all Content that has been created.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Confirm User Actions before making Routing Unavailable

An admin user accidentally clicked on a button in our primary prod API Mangement Service

API Mangement Service -> Virtual Network -> Apply network configuration

The user mistakenly pressed/released the mouse button while hovering over the WebUI/Component. The 'API Mangement Service' then stopped routing all traffic for just over 3 minutes of time (Effectively preventing traffic from being routed to/from clients). I confirmed this issue in a non-prod environment later.

Is it possible to have dialog introduced that will confirm user action when this button is pressed? I think it is an accident prone UI feature. To allow this one…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Storage Firewall Support for APIM Backups

I recently found out that the Backup-AzureRmApiManagment cmdlet fails if the storage account used to store the backups is protected by a firewall. According to MS Premier Support, the only option is to remove the firewalls. I would request that API Management backups support the use of a storage account that is protected by a firewall.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow user to manage API when primary location is down

When a new API Management Service is created, we need to choose an Azure location (say, Australia Southeast).

Afterwards, we can scale the API Management Services to a second Azure location (say, Australia East).

When Australia Southeast region has an outage, API can still be accessed via Australia East region. However, we cannot "manage" (e.g. add a new API or update API backend URL) the API Management Service during the "primary location" (Australia Southeast in the example) outage.

It will be great if user can still manage the API Management Service when the "primary location" is down.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Communicate unavailability of backend services

Hi all,

It will be great that Azure will manage the unavailability in backend services. It es, Health Management.

When my backend service is unavailble (for some reason) It will be great Azure communicates it in some way, with the administrator, for example?

I will be a good idea to send SNMP traps when any backend service is unavailable, for instance.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow to link css and javascript files to the HTML head segment.

Allow to link css and javascript files to the HTML head segment.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make reCaptcha on SignUp page configurable or optional.

There should be a way to disable or at least tone down the ferocity of the reCaptcha. According to our analytics we lose up to 20% of prospective clients who give up after refreshing 2 or 3 times and still not being able to read the reCaptcha.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Manually Failover API Managemnet Service to secondary Datacenter

Please provide the manual failover functionality for API Management (Premium SKU) service to the secondary datacenter.

This is an important requirement for a successful DR Drill.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Logic App backends in ARM Templates able to be selected like in Portal

When setting up an APIM API and a backend in the portal, we are able to select a Logic App using an experience to find the logic app and the sub-resource. Then a radio button for Azure Logic App resource is selected with the name of the logic app and sub-resource. However, in an ARM template, this is impossible. Setting up the backend to point to the resourceId of the logic and deploying defaults this backend policy to HTTP and does not work unless fixed manually in the portal. Here is the snippet of the ARM template:

{

"type": "Microsoft.ApiManagement/service/backends",
    10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. throttling alert for api/product

We are looking for possiblities to trigger an alert when throttling policy gets affective to the client for an api or product.

currently there is out of the box alert based on the quota!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow the creation of new Templates

As an administrator I would like to be able to create a new page template and use it in the custom page content. Also it would be extremely useful to allow the administrator to use an existing template on a custom content page.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add ability to turn off the Register Application Button in Profile

We are utilizing the portal for API's which my company is publishing. We don't want the user to be able to add their own application. How can I turn off the register application button on a developers profile?

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Improve the documentation on how Security Works

Currently some of the security documentation is downright wrong.
    Some of it is at best confusing
    Some if it is incomplete - providing a singleton example and not explaining the options

And worst of all, its in a video. Which means its
    --> Not searchable
    --> Not easily usable as a reference
    --> extremely time consuming to follow (I can't read at MY pace I have to follow the video's pace)
    --> Does not give me concrete examples I can try

Since Security is a critical aspect of what Azure API Management provides - it really needs to be documented…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Time zone support

It seems that only the developer portal is time zone aware. The api management part not. I noticed this by email notifications that were sent with a different time zone than what I configured in the developer portal setting.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. APIM Publisher Portal link is broken

On the blade for APIM, the "Publisher Portal" link no longer brings up the Publisher Portal as of 20190911. It now brings up the non-GA Developer Portal. Please restore the previous functionality, or provide another means to access the trend information.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    triaged  ·  2 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Expose a way to modify the APIM idle timeout or tcp keep alive settings

I have several legacy, long-running, synchronous API operations (10+ mins) that never get a response when I route them through APIM. This is because APIM does not maintain that TCP connection long enough for the backend server to compile the response.

A quick response is to make them asynchronous, which I would have done from the beginning had I designed and developed this product, but as I said this is a legacy application with many existing clients and to change the architecture of this now is not really feasible.

I have worked with Todd Foust from Micorsoft support to determine…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base