How can we improve Azure API Management?

Manual order/grouping of operations

It'd be great to be able to manually order and/or group operations within an API for easier usage.

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nathan Anderson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  Miao Jiang responded  · 

Thanks for the feedback. Can you please provide a little more details on how you want this to work? Do you want this feature on developer portal or admin portal or both? Thanks!

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • wenxin shi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good enough to include tags from swagger api doc into MenuItems so we can create custimized grouped operation list in Developer portal.

• Matthew Kimber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without grouping of operations it makes large API's nearly impossible to grok quickly. With Swagger UI you can apply a tag to each operation and then it gets automatically grouped (https://github.com/OAI/OpenAPI-Specification/blob/master/versions/2.0.md#schema).

For example, I have five endpoints of which some are related. I want it to look something like this:

- /api/resources
    - GET /api/resources/addresstypes
    - GET /api/resources/countries
    - GET /api/resources/passengertypes
    - /api/availability
    - POST /api/availability/lowfare
    - POST /api/availability/search

Where the tags are: "/api/resources" and "/api/availability" respectively.

• Anders Holm-Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazing this isn't implemented yet.

The Swagger / OpenAPI documentation example (petstore) uses Tags to group operations together, and the swagger-ui makes it possible to specify how to the operations (and tags) is sorted.

Simply make the operations group by tag name and alphabetically, just like the swagger-ui default settings.

• John Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Control is required in admin portal only
    Developer portal should reflect the grouping, ordering configuration that admin set

• John Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Grouping by category (controller when using web api) is the most important aspect for me.

Order the groupings alphabetically would be good enough for me

Ordering the operations within the grouping alphabetically would also be good enough for me

• Nathan Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Within the Operations section of an API if you could do three things:

1. Add a category grouping to each operation,
    2. Order those groupings,
    3. Order the Operations within the grouping.

This would be done via the admin portal, but then displayed through the developer portal.

Feedback and Knowledge Base