How can we improve Azure API Management?

Socket (full-duplex) support in addition to HTTP

Having the ability to regulate and monitor HTTP services with API Management is great. Wouldn't it also make sense to offer the same for web sockets (or SignalR hubs, etc.) so we can let devs hookup into stream of events (live-data) instead of polling with REST calls?

597 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Valery Jacobs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Rizvan Bhimani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to use socket.io functionality with api-m but it is still not available. Latest technology should support by azure.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of our solutions are sitting behind the API Manangement Service and requires the user to connect to websockets.

• Anton K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need websockets to accommodate recurrent(scheduled) servicing of high request loads, encapsulated in single HTTPS session.

The web application we are developing is enterprise multitenant client application running in browser and it connects to API management with a backend API. API mgmt. currently is used for proxying, auth, policy checks, transforms. We also would like to use the same infra for real-time push for events to the http client in the browser. This is very important for us. Expediting this would help. I see that its been under review for 2 years already :-)

• Jochen van Wylick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to convince others on my team that we need to use Azure API Management over and IIS instance with Application Request Routing (ARR). I made a POC that nicely proxies all our WebAPI traffic through ARR and it gives us all the goodness like trafic monitoring, access control, throttling etc. Only problem is that it only seems to support HTTP and HTTPS and not web-socket traffic.

So please - could you add web socket support for Azure API Management?

Hi Josh, take a look at this Node.js project here: http://feathersjs.com/

It is built on top of the Express framework. It lets you define services which then can be configured to work with both REST calls and websocket messages.

So for example, socket.emit('todos::create') is the equivalent of a POST request at /todos.

I'm guessing you could define these messages as routes in the API Management portal, but I'm not sure how you would go about hooking your solution with an existing websocket server.

Feedback and Knowledge Base