How can we improve Azure API Management?

AAD integration for all Teirs

Just because we want a good API interface does not mean we are doing the next Facebook. APIM at Standard level would be, by far, the most expensive component of my entire end to end IoT data platform and includes far more bandwidth than I will likely require. But now you expect me to pay over 4 times as much just to integrate AD for a handful of users?

I will either keep to Developer tier or if that is not sufficient the internal developers can use personal Microsoft accounts. On the bright side, it does eliminate a tie in to the Microsoft platform if centralised identity management is priced out of the realm of feasibility.

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ian Bennett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ian Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Andrew, OAuth is fine if you don't want to provide any user functionality such as per API security, self-service, per user monitoring etc. To do that, you have to either pay a fortune or get your internal users to sign up with personal microsoft accounts which is a bit tacky.

• Andrew Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to use Azure B2c and Azure API management not just at premium tier. You are crippling the product for us that simply can't justify GBP2800 p/m for the API management. Surely the overheads can't be the much more on the basic tier if there is a low usage footprint.

Its one of the only Azure services where you cripple functionality in what appears to be an attempt to get people to the highest level. Most other items are on a consumption based modelling.

Hopefully you see the folly in this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base