API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A powershell script to enable application insights logs per API

When an API is imported, it is possible to do so via powershell and apply several settings to that API. However, I would like to see that the settings regarding logging to application insights could also be managed via a powershell cmd.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Service management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. APIM Environments

Image we have two APIM instances
    APIM-memberaccount-Staging forwards requests to Staging memberaccount API
    APIM-memberaccount-Production forwards requests to Production memberaccount API

One day Devops wants to make changes to APIM-memberaccount-Staging, what he / she needs to do
    1) Delete all APIM-memberaccount-Staging configuration
    2) Get all the APIM-memberaccount-Production configuration, and import them into APIM-memberaccount-Staging, so staging APIM has same configuration as production APIM
    3) Update APIM-memberaccount-Staging to point to Staging memberaccount API
    4) Make changes til QA is passed
    5) Delete all APIM-memberaccount-Production configuration
    6) Get all the APIM-memberaccount-Staging configuration, and import them into APIM-memberaccount-Production, so production APIM has same configuration as…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Communicate unavailability of backend services

Hi all,

It will be great that Azure will manage the unavailability in backend services. It es, Health Management.

When my backend service is unavailble (for some reason) It will be great Azure communicates it in some way, with the administrator, for example?

I will be a good idea to send SNMP traps when any backend service is unavailable, for instance.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. throttling alert for api/product

We are looking for possiblities to trigger an alert when throttling policy gets affective to the client for an api or product.

currently there is out of the box alert based on the quota!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Integration with Azure Monitor

Microsoft recently released Azure Monitor service as a centralized service for monitoring Azure resources and creating alerts based on metrics.

Currently, I could not find API Management in the list of supported resources. It will be good to have API management supported in Azure Monitor Service.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Custom domain support for Consumption tier

Currently custom domains & SSL is only supported in the other 4 tiers.

Is there a way to setup a custom domain for an APIM created in Consumption tier?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Embed Azure DeveloperPortal in a corporate domain site

The developer portal enables us to import APIs and run them. I would like to be able to embed it into an existing corporate site that is already describing our company, our products, even some APIs documentation in order to have the possibility to run the APIs from there. In this way, we will decrease the number of websites a customer must use in order to access all of our features. It can be annoying to have a website for the company and then another website just for running APIs and then maybe another website for something else, etc.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are planning to address this issue as part of our developer portal work.

Thanks for the feedback. Even though it’s possible to embed API Management developer portal experience into another portal in the true sense, it’s possible to integrate it with another portal for a more seamless experience using delegation – see docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/api-manageme…

8. Provide UI to manage Loggers

It would be useful to have UI for managing of loggers

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Can we have anything built into APIM to ping backend or Alert when there are sporadic errors connecting to backend?

Can we have anything built into APIM to ping backend or Alert when there are sporadic errors connecting to backend?

This way i will either know when the backend is not reachable or when there are other issues connecting to the backend..

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Service management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. application insight

i have one azure apim custom policy which intercepts the requests and does some pre-check. If check fails in want to log it to appinsight before i return error response from this custom policy.

there is one policy log-to-event-hub but that i dont want to use if above is possible. I want to log from apim policy to application insight using some script code or other way if possible.

please advise

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Issues forum: support line feeds

When posting an issue in the Developer Portal, I find that all the line feeds are not considered and the text becomes all in one line which makes it hard to read the issue.

Please add support for multiple lines (like in the text box i'm typing in right now) and it would be nice to include some formatting features as well.

Thanks

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Mechanism for copying API configuration between resources on different subscriptions

A better way to copy API Configurations between resources on different subscriptions. Eg: development subscription -> production subscription

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. announcements

I don't see anything in the new Azure portal about the announcements (blog) component. I also don't see any mention of it on the Azure API Management roadmap site. What is the plan for this? And will it eventually be migrated to the new Azure portal?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add support for optional "format" property to Open API import and export

API Management supports the Type parameter property and standard JSON types as its values but doesn't support the optional modifier Format property - Format property translates to a description and doesn't round trip on export. Format property is used by some code generators and it's important to have it represented in the model and supported in OpenAPI import and export.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. REST API SDK (Java et al)

I might be missing it but I don't see a client SDK for the API Management REST API. Personally I want a Java version, but I'm sure others would want something different.

I'm doing things like delegating signup and need to do integrations like calling the create user API. Would be nice to have some of this pre-built.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. When Deploying APIM to a Non-dedicated Subnet, No Error Message on Azure Portal

Hi Experts,

Our customer has concerns when using Azure API Management with virtual networks.

If we deploy the APIM to a non-dedicated subnet, the deployment will fail, however, there is no warning or error message during the whole process.

Can we add the error message on Azure Portal or add a validation step before updating the configuration?

Thank you very much.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add interface in API management service to show the backend service

Add interface in API management service to show the backend service, could only access it via rest API at present(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/apimanagement/backend/listbyservice)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix the terminology

Our team just spent a whole day looking for ways to update Named Values programatically. In the end we found the way to do it with management APIs. The reason it was so hard to find, because it's not called Named Values in the management API, it is called properties. Now this is confusing, because the GUI for APIM also has a section named properties that has nothing to do with named values.
    It would help a lot if your GUI and management API would use the same terminology.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Fix: Autogenerated "name" in new operation doesn't strip invalid characters

add this as displayname:

/path/routePath/{parameter}

This gets auto-generated as name

path-routepath-{parameter}

But that auto-generated name is invalid because of the brackets. The auto-generation process already changes slashes to dashes, so why not also make it strip out invalid characters?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base