API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

How can we improve Azure API Management?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Integrating Deployment Slot Hosted App Service to API Management

In Azure, there are deployment slots within API App service as we have created it for Test, Stage, Preproduction, and Production. But in APIM, we couldn't select a specific deployment slot through hosted app service to Add APIs. Finally, we used Open API Specification.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide programmatic examples for Azure API for FHIR server side authorization - you only describe how to create a confidential client

There is no example for how to use the confidential client credentials to integrate with the Azure API for FHIR, only Postman using it's built in authentication flow; which is not helpful because that is not how a server side application behaves. Just provide curl statements for the auth flow.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Soap to Rest - Better error details

Give better error description when the import process from WSDL to REST fails.
    At present time the error is quite generic and only give us the last xml node processed with success, leaving us to a painful try and error approach to why the import did not work.
    It would be nice to have more detail about the error, for instance the line number in the WSDL, the type of error detected (recursion,etc).

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. REST API SDK (Java et al)

I might be missing it but I don't see a client SDK for the API Management REST API. Personally I want a Java version, but I'm sure others would want something different.

I'm doing things like delegating signup and need to do integrations like calling the create user API. Would be nice to have some of this pre-built.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Programmatically Import Azure Function into APIM

I've created an Azure DevOps release pipeline to update APIM API by importing a swagger file via PowerShell. The swagger file was exported from APIM Dev instance, and the release pipeline imports it into QA APIM instance. However, backend is wrong, and there are missing keys that prevent QA APIM API from calling QA Az Function API.

It all works if I manually import the QA Az Func API into QA APIM API via APIM UI... and keys are automagically generated for Az Func & APIM.

So I need a way to setup DevOps release pipeline to deploy a QA…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Same logic apps name but in different resource group problem

When setting up backend resource to logic apps, when we have two logic apps with same name but in different resource group and if we choose the second logic app, it links to first one. This is very annoying because the logic app is always getting selected from top in the list.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Out-of-the-box support for triggering Azure Data Factory pipelines

Out-of-the-box support for triggering Azure Data Factory pipelines that works similar to the current Azure Functions & Logic Apps experience.

This would allow you to expose internal data processes without having to use the Azure Management REST API which enforces AD which is not required in every scenario.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ARM API Management: Create versioned API with swagger

Hi, If create a new api NOT providing information regarding a swagger file , the API is correctly created as versioned.
    If, in the arm below, I remove serviceUrl and add contentFormat and contentValue
    the API is not created as versioned.

If I create the API without swagger (so it's created as versioned) and then I rerun the arm template providing the swagger the api remain versioned and the swagger is updated.

{
    "$schema": "http://schema.management.azure.com/schemas/2015-01-01/deploymentTemplate.json#",
    "contentVersion": "1.0.0.0",
    "parameters": {
    "location": {
    "type": "string",
    "defaultValue": "[resourceGroup().location]",
    "metadata": {
    "description": "Location for all resources."
    }
    }
    },
    "variables": {
    "apiManagementServiceName":…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to assign public static IP address to public endpoint

When the API consumer is adding firewall rules, the changes to public IP address causes maintenance churn. There are some instances where the API management is used under test and qa controlled by devops and the endpoint address changes every time the resource is recreated. Requesting the ability for API management to be treated like any other resource in the devops process.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Base an API revision off a git branch

This may be possible I'm not sure but it would be useful if you could add a revision to an API or the entire API management and have it based of a branch in the git repository. This would allow a side by side API based on your staged changes and allow you to test in a blue/green scenario. Once the API is tested if you could make it public.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Implement integration with Azure Functions for the PUT,POST and DELETE verbs

API Owner should easily map PUT, POST and DELETE requests to the available Azure Functions through the management portal

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Implement APIM EventHub channel for POST and PUT verbs

Integrate EventHub/ServiceBus channel similar to Azure Function outputs for post, put , delete verbs. ( do not confuse with eventhub logger policy ) It also similar to Heroku protocol conversion and request routing patterns

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Support webhooks for notifications

All API Management notifications are currently done via email.
    It would be great to add webhooks as a potential destination so we can automate certain process with services like Logic Apps.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Integration with azure data catalog and event hubs - enable swagger definitions to be inherited by data stores and pipelines

Integration with azure data catalog and event hubs - enable swagger definitions to be inherited by data stores and pipelines

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide UI to manage Loggers

It would be useful to have UI for managing of loggers

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Integration with Azure Monitor

Microsoft recently released Azure Monitor service as a centralized service for monitoring Azure resources and creating alerts based on metrics.

Currently, I could not find API Management in the list of supported resources. It will be good to have API management supported in Azure Monitor Service.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Integration with Azure KeyVault

Currently, we store sensitive information in API Portal - Properties and use them as {{key}}

Provide integration of Azure KeyVault so that sensitive information can be stored in Azure KeyVault and allow using it inside API methods or policies like {{vault:key}}

By this feature, we will be able to centralize all the keys in the Azure KeyVault and use Properties only for non-sensitive information.

377 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  9 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please provide support for ACS tokens in backend services

If it would be possible to configure outbound connections with an ACS token, this would give instant support for BizTalk Services bridges and for WebHttpRelayBinding endpoints. Having this would really enable hybrid scenarios as from the start and that would be awesome.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Azure BizTalk Services Support

Would live to sit API Management in front of Azure BizTalk Services. Essentially being able to expose a MABS Bridge as an API and have the API Manager manage interactions between mobile clients and BizTalk Services.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

API Management

Feedback and Knowledge Base