API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

How can we improve Azure API Management?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Schedule the service upgrade of APIM

Hi Team,

As we have known developer tier does not provide SLA and many users choose it for their UAT environment. In some cases, users deploy their apps to UAT before releasing it, but the APIM instance is down due to a service upgrade.

We are wondering if it is possible to schedule the service upgrade or inform the users 24 hours in advance.

Much appreciate for any insights!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Import and append api's to an existing api through arm deployments

In the azure portal it is possible to append multiple backends behind one logical api endpoint. I want to have the same functionality via ARM. Every repo uses the apim devops resource kit to get the swashbuckle generated openapi spec and generates based on this the ARM that registers the API in APIM. Currenlty when you have 2 ARM templates that target an api with the same ID this api is replaced. It should be possible to append and postfix the operations in case of conflicts. So basically the same as the azure portal does but this time via arm…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Getting in ARM template apis operations based on fuction app automatically

It is possible to specify the operations you want to add in the template programmatically. But there is a problem if you want to the api instance automatically update when the new function is added. Would be nice if operations would go directly from app without the need of aading them manually in the template.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for user-assigned managed identity

At the moment it is not possible to deploy an APIM all-in-one with Keyvault references due to how the current MSI integration works. This would be resolved if APIM supported user-assigned managed identities as this would allow Keyvault permissions to be set up prior to APIM being deployed.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Making named values a true secret

I want to be able to create a named value and store a secret that cannot be retreived by anyone. Right now these named values can be read by anyone in the portal. We want to make them completely invisible after they are filled out.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Making named values a true secret

I want to be able to create a named value and store a secret that cannot be retreived by anyone. Right now these named values can be read by anyone in the portal. We want to make them completely invisible after they are filled out.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Use DDoS Protection Standard with VNET integrated API Management gateway

We would like to use DDoS Protection Standard for our VNET integrated API Management Service. A possible solution could be to have self-signed public ip's for the public endpoint.

P.S. We cannot put a Application Gateway v2 in front of API gateway because of the requirement of Client Certificate Authentication.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. API Management Consumption Static IP

Currently the use of API Management service means we don't have to implement security on our APP Service ourselves and leave it up to the management API.

But we then need to restrict APP SERVICE so that it isn't exposed. One way to do this is limit its access by IP restrictions currently available in Azure,

But the Consumption tier of API management doesn't have static IP addresses. so you would have to go up to the basic tier (£100 a month just for api management) to get a static IP.

This limits the use of API management service when…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Service management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix unusable slowness for moderately sized SOAP pass through APIs

Also posted here:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/974a3b37-32bc-4544-bd55-c6bd3c3b4cc9/why-does-azure-apim-developer-portal-hang-for-moderately-sized-soap-pass-through-apis?forum=azureapimgmt&prof=required

I've created a SOAP pass through API using a WSDL from Workday, which contains about 20 or so operations. The generated request samples produced by APIM upon import I suppose are somewhat large. However when I go to the developer portal and click on one of these APIs to test it the portal hangs, sometimes indefinitely. It appears as thought size of the API (number of operations and size of the XML request examples?) causes some strange performance issue. It really makes this product unusable for me at the moment, which is unfortunate.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Set custom domain name for the new Developer Portal

When running API Management in Internal vNet mode it is not possible to access the Developer Portal over <your-api-management-instance-name>.developer.azure-api.net since it's not publicly accessible. We need to be able to set a custom domain name on the new portal, can you please add the new portal to the list of endpoints available for custom domain names.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide options to show all APIs in Azure Portal

Azure portal does show a limited list of APIs (100). It allows to search but would be nice if you can show how many APis exist, how many are loaded in the screen and an option to load the next 100 APIs.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Deactivate certain email templates in Azure APIM

Currently this is not available. Can you please add this to Azure for APIM

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Customize 'New subscription requested notification'

The current 'new subscription requested notification' messages can't be modified in the 'Notification templates'. The current messages sent to APIM admins include the following:

"Dear member of the [API Team],
    It is our pleasure to let you know that your API has another potential subscriber! [AccountName] submitted a subscription request to the API product [ProductName] on [RequestedDateTime].
    Please accept or decline the request by going to the [ProductName] page on the administrative portal located here [DevPortal link].
    Thank you,
    [API Team]
    [Dev Portal URI]"

A more useful feature for admins is the ability to approve/reject the request either directly from…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add AD Rules to Users and Groups Management

When new users authenticate in the Developer portal they are automatically added to the system group - Developers. But for product visibility purposes, we have additional user defined groups: Internal and External (I'm sure there are other use cases, that's just ours). We move those users who authenticate by AD into the Internal group and those who don't into External. This is a manual process. If we could add an 'AD like' rule to the Developers group memberships on add that automatically (based on authentication method and(or) other criteria) add the new users to a custom group then we wouldn't…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. APIManagement ServiceTag

There should be a APIManagement ServiceTag which will allow traffic from/to all ApiManagement services deployed in the Region. So that when the Public VIP of a particular service changes, it will still be within the range of the ServiceTag and allowed by firewall.

The current APIManagement ServiceTag only covers the IP of Resource Provider (APIManagement management)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/security-overview#service-tags

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Remove standardized Azure URL from Swagger / WSDL file

We are using custom domains in our Azure API Management instances. Unfortunately when uploading a Swagger file, APIM automatically adds the standardized URL. Here's an example:

"x-servers": [
    {
    "url": "https://gateway.api.qas.custom.com&quot;
    },
    {
    "url": "https://azurestandardname-northeurope-01.regional.azure-api.net&quot;
    }

This keeps confusing our customers when they download the description through the Dev Portal.

Please add an option to prevent the standard URL from being added to the API descriptiion (Swagger and WSDL)

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hide request parameters in analytics

I'd rather not store any data coming into my API management, it's just a pass through recording which users are calling the API. I suppose maybe I could move the parameters to the body, but it would be nice if there was an option not to store parameter values. Azure is secure and all, but it would be nice to say, we can't store or look up any data.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Service management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Have a filter to show VMs impacted by Service Health

If we encounter the same event happening in multiple VMs, it would be nice to filter by Service Health Activity and see the VMs that were impacted by the event including date and time.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Importing WSDL with multiple ports/interfaces

I have WSDL which contains multiple ports/interfaces. However, in custom connector management wizard reads action only from the first interface. I have a workaround to edit WSDL manually by removing all other interfaces except the one.

The wizard should recognize all interfaces in WSDL and all Actions by Interface hierarchy.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Get user subscription keys programmatically

It would be nice if as a developer I would be able to get my subscriptions keys (primary key and secondary key) programmatically. By programmatically I mean, for example, authenticate to a REST endpoint with my username and password developer portal, and then with another REST endpoint get only my keys. (similar to the management rest API but, without the ability to view or modify other users' information nor perform administrator tasks)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

API Management

Feedback and Knowledge Base