API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. users documentation in multiple languages

We need to maintain the developer portal on 2 languages (English and French). We want to have every single page in these languages: all content pages and all templated pages like products pages apis pages etc. .
    Can you direct me to the right documentation to implement this task for both the legacy Developer Portal and for the new Developer Poratl

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Disable the Developer portal

Could you please provide a feature to disable the Developer portal (a feature to hide the login page) for users who do not use the developer portal.
    -The feature to disable the Developer portal
    -The feature to restrict access to Developer portal by IP address
    etc.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New error code MethodNotAllowed

At this moment if the URL does not exists or if the URL exists but it is invoked with a non supported method, the error code returned is "OperationNotAllowed" with status code 404. The APIM should handle this situation in a better way by returning the error code "MethodNotAllowed" and the status code 405 just in case of the operation is being invoked with a non supported method.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow multiple content sections

While editing layouts adding additional content sections would prove useful for designing pages since it would open more possibilities in aligning elements. It would help overall to determine what approach and design suits the user best.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Remodel hyperlink list

When trying to format a text element as a hyperlink to a web URL the display is messy. My proposal would be to be able to name a Link which then is displayed instead of the whole URL. Since multiple people could work on one instance/page of the Developer Portal an overview over all used Links on a Page would support the usability and visibility of the DevPortal. Additionally a clearer and more stable indicator of what is selected and a "Copy link" function would also enhance the usability.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Toolbox should be movable

It would be comfortable to be able to move the Toolbox on the left, so that the content behind it can be accessed and edited. One way to achieve it would be to move the Toolbox via drag and drop to another place and/or screen.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Programmatically Import Azure Function into APIM

I've created an Azure DevOps release pipeline to update APIM API by importing a swagger file via PowerShell. The swagger file was exported from APIM Dev instance, and the release pipeline imports it into QA APIM instance. However, backend is wrong, and there are missing keys that prevent QA APIM API from calling QA Az Function API.

It all works if I manually import the QA Az Func API into QA APIM API via APIM UI... and keys are automagically generated for Az Func & APIM.

So I need a way to setup DevOps release pipeline to deploy a QA…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. return-response policy

The <return-response> policy enforces the order of any contained policies. They must be in the following order <set-status>,<set-header>,<set-body>.
    This means you cannot perform xml->json or json to xml mapping using a liquid map. This is because liquid uses the incoming Content-Type header to establish incoming message type. But we are forced to set the Content-Type to the outgoing message type before calling <set-body> and liquid cannot parse the incoming message.
    This only occurs in the <return-response> policy. In the <outgoing> policy there is no order restriction on contained policies.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Import and append api's to an existing api through arm deployments

In the azure portal it is possible to append multiple backends behind one logical api endpoint. I want to have the same functionality via ARM. Every repo uses the apim devops resource kit to get the swashbuckle generated openapi spec and generates based on this the ARM that registers the API in APIM. Currenlty when you have 2 ARM templates that target an api with the same ID this api is replaced. It should be possible to append and postfix the operations in case of conflicts. So basically the same as the azure portal does but this time via arm…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Implement Availability Zone Redundancy in a Single Region

Working with Microsoft Support and investigating to the best of our ability, it seems like a given APIM resource is not availability zone redundant in a given region, even if scaled out to 2 units. (I'm not sure if the consumption plan is different.)

It would be good to have an availability zone redundant option to meet AZ redundancy goals in a single region, without having to scale up to Premium (which is much more expensive) and then scale out to another region.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Providing policy to control when the subscription check happens

We are providing the client with an API key. The subscription key is a part of the API key. We enabled the subscription required flag from settings. However, doing that executed the subscription check before any part of the policy is invoked. We were hoping to have more control over when the subscription check happens. We have inbound policies written that obtain the subscription key from the API key and then we set the Ocp-Apim-Subscription-Key. We want the subscription check to happen after this point. Currently, it's forcing us to provide the clients with 2 keys, our API key, and…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. POST "Comments- Add" Api issue on this api

When we are using this Api, its returning status code as "Ok" and i am able to see the response with Comments Added, but i am not able to see those comments in workitem at AZDO. Can you suggest, why this happening? and what is the cause for it?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. hostname

Allow deployment of hostnameConfigurations as it's own resource. Currently in an ARM template I cannot set up a keyvault reference for the certificate without granting the managed identity of the APIM access to the keyvault. I've deployed the Microsoft.ApiManagement/service without hostnameConfiguration, granted the identity access to the keyvault then redeployed the entire Microsoft.ApiManagement/service just to add hostname configuration.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support DateTime.TryParse & TryParseExact in Policy Expressions

I have an API endpoint that receives a validates a block of json in the request body, and then forwards that json on to our backend.

One of the validation requirements is for datetime values to comport with the format defined in section 5.6 of RFC3339:
    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3339#section-5.6

This wouldn't be too difficult if we had access to DateTime.TryParseExact(). The code would look like this:

string[] validDateTimeFormats = new string[] {/*FORMAT STRINGS*/ };

DateTime temp = new DateTime();
    bool correctFormat = DateTime.TryParseExact(dateTimeString, validDateTimeFormats, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, DateTimeStyles.RoundtripKind, out temp);

But since I don't have access to those methods, I need to rely on…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I have done all the setting and jwt token validation is working fine. How i can access same token in angular application

I am using MSAL for angular to get the token and passing same token to api management, which is not working.

Individually both are working fine, But i am retrieving token from AAD in angular and passing same to API management Instance , which is not accepted by APIM(Oauth2), Please suggest here

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Customize 'New subscription requested notification'

The current 'new subscription requested notification' messages can't be modified in the 'Notification templates'. The current messages sent to APIM admins include the following:

"Dear member of the [API Team],
    It is our pleasure to let you know that your API has another potential subscriber! [AccountName] submitted a subscription request to the API product [ProductName] on [RequestedDateTime].
    Please accept or decline the request by going to the [ProductName] page on the administrative portal located here [DevPortal link].
    Thank you,
    [API Team]
    [Dev Portal URI]"

A more useful feature for admins is the ability to approve/reject the request either directly from…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    triaged  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. report byOperation

Ability to load API Management Analytics Reports i.e. Operations in Log Analytics workspace. Currently, I am not seeing a convenient way to do that. I found that current Portal rendering can timeout if requesting 90 days.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Analytics of API Management should include statistics from Self-hosted API Management gateway also

Analytics of API Management currently does not include the statistics from Self-hosted API Management Gateway.

This will be a key feature to understand the usage of the self-hosted gateways.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Create product tags on portal

Tags are able to be added to a variety of API Management resources including service, apis, operations, and products. Tags can be added via ARM, REST, or the Azure portal for each of these resources. For products, tags can only be added via ARM or REST and users are unable to add them via the Azure portal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Documentation for API Management clone feature

There doesn't seem to be documentation which describes the functionality of the Clone operation for API Management within the Azure Portal. A user is forced to experiment with the feature. It would improve user experience if there was either in-portal help, or official Microsoft documentation which describes the Clone operation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base