API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enhance Json Serialization support in Policy Expressions for Legacy Backend APIs

Provide access to JsonConverter types, e.g. JavaScriptDateTimeConverter so that a JObject can be formatted as needed for a legacy system.

Currently, if a Json object needs to be translated to a different format for a DateTime property it is not easily possible to convert the APIM body JObject to what the backend service expected for Json serialization.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable entry of multiple examples for a given operation

The portal only permits one example of a 200 OK response. I worked around this limitation by creating a larger JSON object consisting of an array of examples one property of which is the actual response.

E.g.,

[

{

"Example": 1,
    "Description": "No filters are applied. Consequently, there are more than 25 results",
    &quot;RequestUrl&quot;: &quot;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="https://apis.conmetwheelends.com/aftermarket/v2/details/summary/~/~&quot;">https://apis.conmetwheelends.com/aftermarket/v2/details/summary/~/~&quot;</a>,
    &quot;Response&quot;: {
    &quot;Status&quot;: &quot;TOO_MANY_RESULTS&quot;,
    &quot;Message&quot;: &quot;Indicates that the request was successful (it was a valid). However, the response returned too many results. This may occur if the request is under-constrained based on current data. Please apply additional filters to further constrain the
    4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Search for Operation in API not available in Azure API Management developer portal

Search for Operation in API not available in Azure API Management developer portal

Search for Operation in API not available in Azure API Management developer portal

Where as with Administrator portal same search feature available for operation search

The problem is when we provide link to customers, they are not able to search based on some specific word. They need to scroll till they find the specific operation.

This is not user friendly.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Communicate unavailability of backend services

Hi all,

It will be great that Azure will manage the unavailability in backend services. It es, Health Management.

When my backend service is unavailble (for some reason) It will be great Azure communicates it in some way, with the administrator, for example?

I will be a good idea to send SNMP traps when any backend service is unavailable, for instance.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve the policy viewer

APIM supports full screen editing of policies, which is nice, but the policy viewer modal (visible when clicking "View effective policy for the selected scope") could be improved with full screen support.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Can we have anything built into APIM to ping backend or Alert when there are sporadic errors connecting to backend?

Can we have anything built into APIM to ping backend or Alert when there are sporadic errors connecting to backend?

This way i will either know when the backend is not reachable or when there are other issues connecting to the backend..

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Service management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Keep serving expired cached content if web service is unavailable

If caching is enabled and the underlying web service is unavailable, the API service should keep serving expired content. This allows the underlying web service to be temporarily unavailable without the API breaking.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Handle Signing requests

Add a feature to manage customer keys, customer secret and signing validation of the requests.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support for Node.js like APIGEE

I hope you would have seen other API tools like APIGEE. Just in case I have a local node. js application, I should be quickly upload into API management portal and act as a back end. This will help me to quickly complement any missing capabilities like support for MangoDB or ReDis or mem cache for caching instead of using default cache mechanism provided by default. Another use case that I can think of, is that I have some on prem data like stores and there location. Then I would like to have some of these data exported to user…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Miao Jiang responded

Hi Venkatesh,

Can you please elaborate more on what you would like to see in Azure API Management? If I understand correctly you’d like to be able to import your APIs written in Node.js into API Management with a easy solution?

10. Add semantics to tracing

When seeing the search results for traces, i'd like to see the parameters of the function where my trace was generated. This way i won't need to write a trace at the beginning of each function writing the parameters there, because that's time consuming. This should be made automatically by the API.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Origin API oauth support

Ability to create an API in Azure API Management that will OAuth to the origin api. I don't want my users to oauth, the Azure API key is enough security for that. I just want my Azure API to access the origin API through OAuth.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please provide support for ACS tokens in backend services

If it would be possible to configure outbound connections with an ACS token, this would give instant support for BizTalk Services bridges and for WebHttpRelayBinding endpoints. Having this would really enable hybrid scenarios as from the start and that would be awesome.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Azure BizTalk Services Support

Would live to sit API Management in front of Azure BizTalk Services. Essentially being able to expose a MABS Bridge as an API and have the API Manager manage interactions between mobile clients and BizTalk Services.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Reduce min renewal-period in qouta/call rate policy from 3600 second to 60

In our application we have 3 products:
    bigcompany
    smallcompany
    freelancer

We know that freelancer can't make more that 20 actions per minute. It's physical limitation. If we can define that was 50-70 actions per minute for us it means that freelancer is not alone and he is cheating. We want limit such type of behaviour, but quota less than 3600 second is not valid .

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Time zone support

It seems that only the developer portal is time zone aware. The api management part not. I noticed this by email notifications that were sent with a different time zone than what I configured in the developer portal setting.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add support for apiblueprint in Api Management

I think you should try to support apiblueprint.org format for API management specification beyond WSDL and Swagger.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support for parameters in API prefix

Let's say I have root like api.com/trees/{tree-name}. I'd like to have an ability to create Branches API with api.com/trees/{tree-name}/branches/. The only option right now is to keep tree-name in a query.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Josh Twist responded

Hi Dmitry, thanks for providing this feedback. Can you help me understand why you’d like this additional feature? Be great to understand why this would improve the product for you.

18. Support multiple APIs in Swagger import

When importing a swagger file (created using SwashBuckle Nuget for WebAPI) with multiple APIs I get an error saying unable to Parse. Here's what my server currently returns:
    {"swaggerVersion":"1.2","apiVersion":"1.0","apis":[{"path":"/BookingApiController"},{"path":"/CourseController"},{"path":"/QueryApiController"},{"path":"/ReservationController"},{"path":"/ReviewApiController"},{"path":"/SearchController"},{"path":"/UserApiController"}]}

then it should go through each of those to get the actual methods. I assume this is proper Swagger (I'm using SwashBuckle NuGet to generate these from my WebApi project). But the Import API function doesn't seem to handle this format. It works if I paste in just one of the controllers, but then I only get that part of the API.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 24 25 26 28 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base