API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ARM support for deployment of the operations, etc.

Support to deploy all the configuration via ARM what now possible is via GIT.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to delegate security on Content pages

We like to provide additional information to our authorized users in a more secure manner.
    Anonymous guests shouldn't be able to see any and all Content that has been created.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Deploy APIM in Azure Emulator to allow for local testing of configurations

Add APIM to the Azure emulator to allow testing of routing and policies.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow tagging/categorization of APIs, operations, policies

Either a single hierarchical category field or use flat tags where multiple can be applied to the same resource.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Specifying Scope for Properties

It's great that there's properties that can then be referenced within policies without hard coding them in. It should provide added flexibility when the properties are maintained in one place. However, as it currently stands, all of the properties are global which makes them inherently hard-coded anyway.

Being able to specify the scope of a property in the publisher portal should provide even more flexibility.

Global Scoped Properties: As the properties currently are. I can as an admin go into the publisher portal and specify a global property value.

User Scoped Properties: A user could set the value in their…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add support for dynamic quota

to aggregating quota limit from different product SKUs.

for example, if user plans to budget 150,000 calls per month he can buy SKU1 with 100,000 and SKU2 with 50,000 calls and the aggregate is calculated for this subscriber and enforced by APIM. this way we just create a few SKUs and allow users to mix and match based on their requirements.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Under current model SKU1 and SKU2 would be 2 different products with two separate subscriptions and keys. So this is not a trivial change but we understand the scenario and will keep it in mind.

7. Support both OAuth and OpenID Connect at the same time

API supports both OAuth and OpenID Connect at the same time. Need to let user pick one in dev portal.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. throttling alert for api/product

We are looking for possiblities to trigger an alert when throttling policy gets affective to the client for an api or product.

currently there is out of the box alert based on the quota!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to manage Subscription Keys for a Group of users

Allow the assignment of a subscription key that applies to a group of users. The idea is to create one shared subscription key that is tied to the group so as members of the group swap in/out they can use that key.

Think of a large company of developers, rather than creating a shared login the group of developers could be put into the group and then have access to that applications subscription keys.

The idea is really to treat the key as an entity that isn't a person but needs to be managed by several people, like give this…

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide Rich Text Editor in API/Operation Descriptions

For the API and Operation description (or any other that supports HTML, e.g. response descriptions) fields, instead of having to input HTML, a basic WYSIWYG editor would be nice so simple things like bold/emphasis/underline/lists/etc... can be created easily by people not strong in HTML and then having to save/view to test what it may look like.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve the documentation on how Security Works

Currently some of the security documentation is downright wrong.
    Some of it is at best confusing
    Some if it is incomplete - providing a singleton example and not explaining the options

And worst of all, its in a video. Which means its
    --> Not searchable
    --> Not easily usable as a reference
    --> extremely time consuming to follow (I can't read at MY pace I have to follow the video's pace)
    --> Does not give me concrete examples I can try

Since Security is a critical aspect of what Azure API Management provides - it really needs to be documented…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Open up more of the Orchard CMS features

Not being able to create a custom pages for the "generated" ones; e.g. apis, products and applications, is extremely limiting.

Having more Orchard CMS features available might solve a lot of the customization issues we have.

Unfortunately, it is so limiting that we are seriously considering a different solution for publishing our APIs. It is a shame that the lack of CMS features for customizing the look and feel can be the deal breaker.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We are working on a feature that will allow customers to customize generated pages. It should be out soon. We will announce it on http://aka.ms/apimdocs page. If you get a chance to review it please let us know if it fulfills your needs.

13. Add ability to turn off the Register Application Button in Profile

We are utilizing the portal for API's which my company is publishing. We don't want the user to be able to add their own application. How can I turn off the register application button on a developers profile?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Ability to turn off notifications, not just edit templates

We need the ability to turn off notifications through the workflow. We are setting up accounts for clients and don't want most of the notifications that come out. We are having to enter fake email addresses just to prevent the notifications.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improve the policy viewer

APIM supports full screen editing of policies, which is nice, but the policy viewer modal (visible when clicking "View effective policy for the selected scope") could be improved with full screen support.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Communicate unavailability of backend services

Hi all,

It will be great that Azure will manage the unavailability in backend services. It es, Health Management.

When my backend service is unavailble (for some reason) It will be great Azure communicates it in some way, with the administrator, for example?

I will be a good idea to send SNMP traps when any backend service is unavailable, for instance.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ping endpoint

To facilitate the management of a given instance of APIM, I’d like to see a lightweight authorized “Ping” endpoint exposed in the APIM REST API (ex: HEAD /ping). This endpoint would allow a Publisher (me) to ensure that he’s able to communicate with the Management REST API (i.e., the URL and credentials being used are correct).

I will be driving the provisioning/management/monitoring of my instance of APIM using the REST API from within my company’s Operations software (a mixture of System Center and other internal software). So I would encode into my monitoring software a periodic call to the Ping…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support for Node.js like APIGEE

I hope you would have seen other API tools like APIGEE. Just in case I have a local node. js application, I should be quickly upload into API management portal and act as a back end. This will help me to quickly complement any missing capabilities like support for MangoDB or ReDis or mem cache for caching instead of using default cache mechanism provided by default. Another use case that I can think of, is that I have some on prem data like stores and there location. Then I would like to have some of these data exported to user…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Miao Jiang responded

Hi Venkatesh,

Can you please elaborate more on what you would like to see in Azure API Management? If I understand correctly you’d like to be able to import your APIs written in Node.js into API Management with a easy solution?

19. Add missing Issues features

The Issues section of API Management seems really lacking. To just name a few of the current shortcomings:

• Inability to edit/delete a comment (I hope no one every makes typos)

• Inability to delete a resolved issue.

• Inability to search issues.

• Inability to tag issues.

• Inability to control the view of issues (order by date, status, etc)

The API Management has many great features, but unfortunately Issues isn't one of them, and is an important part of our API management strategy

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Time zone support

It seems that only the developer portal is time zone aware. The api management part not. I noticed this by email notifications that were sent with a different time zone than what I configured in the developer portal setting.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base