API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

How can we improve Azure API Management?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. VPN/ExpressRoute support in Standard Tier

If you must charge more for VPN make it a paid for add-on for Standard tier.

Using the standard tier is already tough to justify for our low volume business case. Unfortunately the backend servers are in a private network so we need the ExpressRoute functionality.

API Management was justified based on it also being the authentication gateway and firewall between the Internet and our internal APIs. The business case doesn't work if we still need to manage Internet facing reverse proxy servers or pay for Premium.

248 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Pricing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support VNET for Basic Tier of APIM

Our APIs are deployed to Service Fabric cluster in a VNET. If we want to expose our APIs through APIM, we have to use the Premium Tier of APIM since that's the only tier where VNET support is included.

Premium Tier of APIM has bunch of other features like AD authentication, Multi-region support, 4000 reqs/sec etc., which we don't need and don't care.

Why are all those features clubbed together and provided as an all or nothing solution?

Basic Tier fits our use case perfectly, if only we can deploy it in a VNET.

Service Fabric integration with APIM is…

120 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Pricing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow multi-region deployment at Standard Tier

Standard Tier currently does not allow for multi-region deployment. Premium transaction levels are so much higher and more costly, when there may only be need for a very small deployment in some geos, but need to be co-located with services already deployed to those geos. Allow for more flexibility in the deployment model, so a user can tune what they need in each different Geo (Premium in US, Standard in EU, Basic/Dev in AU).

89 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Pricing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow disabling/stopping of API Management during evaluation to preserve subscription credits

I am evaluating API Management using Visual Studio Subscription credits. The credits are depleted even when I am not testing API Management and are likely to be exhausted before I have completed evaluation. This is both frustrating and prevents me from completing my evaluation. Other API Management providers such as apigee provide a superior evaluation experience.

This issue has already been raised before and the answer is not satisfactory
          https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4522315-fd3b-4129-b758-e74b22d74145/how-can-i-quotdisablequot-but-not-delete-an-api-management-service?forum=azureapimgmt

69 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Pricing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • AAD integration for all Teirs

Just because we want a good API interface does not mean we are doing the next Facebook. APIM at Standard level would be, by far, the most expensive component of my entire end to end IoT data platform and includes far more bandwidth than I will likely require. But now you expect me to pay over 4 times as much just to integrate AD for a handful of users?

I will either keep to Developer tier or if that is not sufficient the internal developers can use personal Microsoft accounts. On the bright side, it does eliminate a tie in…

35 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Pricing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Provide more attractive pricing

The premium tier is 4 times more expensive than the Standard tier. It provides Enterprise Features like VNET integration. I think that in order to increase the solution adoption, the price should be reviewed, or provide a more cost effective pricing. Many customers were thinking using APIM for their internal projects but the pricing is just huge

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Pricing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Don't see your idea?

API Management

Feedback and Knowledge Base