API Management

Microsoft Azure API Management is a turnkey solution for publishing APIs to external and internal consumers. Quickly create consistent and modern API gateways for existing backend services hosted anywhere, secure and protect them from abuse and overuse, and gain insights into usage and health. Plus, automate and scale developer onboarding to help get your API program up and running in no time.

How can we improve Azure API Management?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow System.Linq.IGrouping within expressions

The GroupBy operator is a pretty common LINQ operator incredibly useful in doing transformations of data.
    It would be tremendous if this was available within policy expressions.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Work around

Hi, We have a legacy SOAP web service, How can I get it working as it fails to load the wsdl(possibly coz of the imports in the file).

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • View APIM worker role IP's address

Hi

We had a recent issue , where the worker roles IP's had changed on our VNET subnet for APIM , We had specific Ip's allowed out through the FW and also our 3 party only allowed certain client IP's in through their FW .

An update of the underlying PAAS instance during a MS update caused the worker role IP to change and hence we had no communication to our 3rd party api endpoint .

We found out the API DIP worker IP through the logs but there is not feature to see which worker role IP is being…

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Azure Data Lake support a DateTime data type with proper timezone support

Hello Team,
          Azure Data Lake does not currently have a DateTime data type that preserves timezone information. This can cause issues after loading and ingesting streaming data, and then attempting to query the data for a specific time frame can cause the improper retrieval of expected data values.
          Please introduce a DateTime data type that has proper timezone support.

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Set automated shutdowns to minimize costs of API Management Service

Set automated shutdowns to minimize costs of API Management Service after working houres

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Service management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • API caching / distributed API caching - API CDN

API GET calls can be cached already, but these caches need to be brought closer to the users, same like a CDN is doing with static HTML / JS / CSS. Some implementations exist today already (like e.g. fastly API caching), but this should be part of a complete API solution to maximize global perforamnce.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow OAuth2.0/OpenID Connect Authentication when testing APIs through the Azure Portal.

Whenever an API requires OAuth2.0 or OpenID Connection authentication, through the Developer Portal you can authenticate at the defined STS. Yet, in the Azure Management Portal, when testing your API, this 'button' or feature is missing. To me, this renders the Test option useless, because all our APIs require OAuth...

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Virtual Network Gateways

I have learned the Azure APIs do not provide status information for Virtual Network Gateways, we are trying to setup monitoring for gateway availability and performance with 3rd party tools.

Please advise when this will be available through the APIs, my vendor needs this information. Thanks

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Enable WS-Security for SOAP backends

In a REST to SOAP scenario where the backend demands the SOAP message to be signed using a certificate, it would be great if there were policies that could generate the whole message based on the contents of the body. Right now one can build the SOAP XML message using a liquid template but then the task of generating the security headers is hard (and I really don't know how to generate them). For example:

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/&quot; xmlns:web="http://webservices.myweb.com">
                    <soapenv:Header><wsse:Security soapenv:mustUnderstand="1" xmlns:wsse="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-secext-1.0.xsd&quot; xmlns:wsu="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd">
                    ......<wsse:BinarySecurityToken EncodingType="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-soap-message-security-1.0#Base64Binary&quot; ValueType="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-x509-token-profile-1.0#X509v3&quot; wsu:Id="X509-123456">generated_token</wsse:BinarySecurityToken>
                    <ds:Signature Id="SIG-65D54B60823432DD6615040826919135"…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Support external source control services

It would be super if there was support for external source control services such as github, vsts, bitbucket etc. Pushing to a specific branch should automatically deploy the changes to the api management instance. This would also conform more to other Azure services with good source control support.

The current design with the built in git repo with time limited credentials where you manually have to sync to/from api management itself is cumbersome. Although git supports having multiple remotes (api-mgmt and github in my case) it is far from ideal.

Building and maintaining solutions consisting of multiple (brilliant) Azure components…

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Lifecycle  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • APIM policy to log context variables to Application Insights

Currently, EventHub Logging is present. It would be great to log APIM transaction details to Application Insights.
                        The current analytics in APIM is good, but it will give more rich experience if the data is present in App.Insights too.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Publish widgets through a REST API

Can you provide the ability to publish widgets through a Rest API? It's annoying you can't style or change the format without doing it manually.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Lifecycle  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Upload custom SSL certificate from keyvault to Azure API Management resource

Add ability to upload custom SSL certificate from keyvault to Azure API Management resource. Ideally do it via ARM template while provisioning new resource or at least with PowerShell.

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Decrease the API Management activation process time

We are working on Azure API Management service automated provisioning and setup. Using ARM template .json + PowerShell scripts to add properties/settings. I have ARM template which provisions 'API Management'. However, at the first time provision it goes to state 'Service is being activated' (I see the note in Azure Portal). It brakes our automated deployment, because from one side ARM template did it's job and should pick next step = PowerShell script to set this resource. This 'service activation' takes more then 30mins!! If it would be 5-10mins, that’s fine.”

9 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  API management experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Handle connection affinity correctly for Azure AD authentication with Premium SKU

When operating APIM in Premium SKU and having Azure AD authentication, sign-in does not work at all or reliably as "connection affinity for login traffic is not maintained for Azure AD or Facebook authentication".

(case number 117042615656205)

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Developer portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Auto Import API

I want to control my api documentation within the source control of the actual API. I am utilizing Swashbuckle, and Swashbuckle.Examples to build my swagger docs. I would like to setup a schedule for re-importing my api documentation for the application. there are a few reasons for this:

1) I want to use API Management Services' API functionality as a "Set it and forget it"
                                  2) My examples involve some date contextual examples. My Swashbuckle code dynamically build the examples to keep that date context data relevant for the developer experience.

I mentioned this feature in the Yammer for API…

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Send proper JSON Response while fetching information about Runbooks using Job ID

While querying for a Job using it's Job ID in Runbook Automation and using the REST API, the portal shows the WEBHOOKDATA input parameter with invalid JSON since the quotes are escaped using slashes.

When the Job is queried, I get invalid JSON because quotes and slashes are escaped multiple times. This causes problem while trying to parse the JSON. Please see attached screenshot for reference.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Defining APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Provide UI for managing custom RBAC rules

It would be great to have the custom role experience in the Azure Portal where an administrator can use the UI to create a new custom RBAC role and grant people certain permissions on a subset of products & APIs.

Ideally I really see this as "Administration Groups" or "Security Groups". Sounds better than custom RBAC rules, that's implementation detail in my opinion (besides when you create ARM templates).

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Support webhooks for notifications

All API Management notifications are currently done via email.
                                        It would be great to add webhooks as a potential destination so we can automate certain process with services like Logic Apps.

21 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Send notification when somebody signsup

Add a notification for when a user signs up in the Developer portal.

As of today, this is not there resulting new users wanting to get access to a product while the administrator is not notified.

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base