How can we improve Microsoft Azure RemoteApp?

Install Custom Apps in Cloud Deployment

Allow the ability to install own custom applications in the cloud deployment environment.

364 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SethSeth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Azure RemoteApp TeamAzure RemoteApp Team responded  · 

Over a month ago we announced that our most requested feature is now available allowing customers the ability to create a cloud deployment using their own template image, blog link below. As a follow up, we are marking this item as completed on our Azure feedback site, if there are further improvements about adding your own app or making the entire process easier please open a new feedback item. Thank you!

More details in this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2014/07/15/microsoft-azure-remoteapp-you-can-now-create-cloud-deployments-with-your-own-template-image.aspx.

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Johnny ManleyJohnny Manley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears this thread died in 2014? I am encountering the same issue. Need to install the new Microsoft Office Demo Client and get stopped at UAC looking for RDSAdmin password. Is this functionality "fixed?" Or do we still have to create and entirely new image and upload it to simply enable a MSFT plug-in?

• matt kmatt k commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need the ability to create a remoteapp in azure, rather then uploading and on premises vhd.

If I spin up a vm in azure, install a lob, I should be able to convert that to a remoteapp and save the pain of an upload.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can anyone assist me in configuring Azure RemoteApp? I've created an Azure VM and installed my applications on that VM and want to configure Azure RemoteApp to publish those applications without any local LAN interaction. Is this possible? Thanks for your time aaron@remedytech.com

• COBRASoftCOBRASoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to install Crystal Reports on RemoteApp, but I'm faced with UAC problems. How can I get Crystal Reports to be installed on RemoteApp?
        I need this very urgently :(.

• Mitch DennyMitch Denny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like this is starting to be addressed. I noticed in the RemoteApp UI on the Azure portal that I can now specify a template image when I go to quick create a RemoteApp service.

That said, I just created a service and linked it to a template image, but after provisioning it wasn't linked so I'm wondering if this is only partially implemented or there was a problem. I'm trying to manually change the template image now. Will see how it goes.

• Renaud BompuisRenaud Bompuis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add my voice to other ISV: I also have an enterprise solution and want customers to just access through RemoteApp, with or without AD sync, depending on the case.
        The blocking point at the moment is the complexity of having to setup an hybrid solution and upload a modified image. It shouldn't have to be that complicated, all I want is to have access to a VM on which I can install and configure the various bits of the software, and attach that to the RemoteApp service.

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a badly needed feature. We all understand this is not full roll out so we all expect some issues here and there. Let's go!!!

• COBRASoftCOBRASoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a lot of customers who would love this. Complete Office, combined with our own ERP (.Net 4 Full-Thrust and Crystal Reports).
        Please give an easy possibility to deploy a .Net application with Crystal Reports.
        Also, since we're deploying a 64-bit application NGen.exe and admin rights is a requirement.

• DonSDonS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the ability to publish 3rd party apps in a cloud only deployment of Remote App

• GarryGarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our situation - We are a software vendor and want to deliver our (normally on premise, black box solution) software using RemoteApp. Sync with an on-prem AD is not possible. We want to deliver our software as a Remote App that talks to some Azure servers in IaaS (SQL, IIS)

• Darren(BL)Darren(BL) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My situation: My own ERP software, need to be able to edit the command line for each application - I use a common executable with different command line parameters to launch different apps - also need to be able to change the icon for each application, and the name of the application is also different with different command lines, so need to be able to set that also.

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am an ISV needing to install a custom ERP application for use with RemoteApp. I need administrator access in order to install third-party license managers, some Windows Services, etc...

Administrator access (RDSAdmin) is blocked so we are out of luck doing any custom application installs.

RemoteApp is a great idea but it needs more work to really be a great solution for our clients.

Also needs options for higher disk performance (SSD option?) as our application is non-SQL based and quite disk intensive.

Thanks

• Justin FickJustin Fick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to install our own applications without having to create a custom image or the ability to publish App-V applications would be a game changer. Please make it happen Microsoft!

• Diego PonceDiego Ponce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to publish my own applications to use it in different countries.
        As I can do without having to build an image with windows 2012?
        is critical and many programmers are needing.

thanks

• Adam HemsAdam Hems commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are an ISV and I forsee a scenario where we place our custom appliations in a Cloud Deployment and then grant our paying customers use of them via a SaaS model, which they tell me they would really like as that avoids the complexity of their IT department deploying our products in their datacenters entirely. Use of the Hybrid model in this case makes little sense as our applications would get their data from our Cloud-hosted SaaS we also rent them. A pure-play cloud SaaS model for thick client applications, basically - a Wonderful Thing!

• Adrian SciclunaAdrian Scicluna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Uhm.. no, not exactly. We published the PowerShell app but noticed that the modules to administer Office365 from it were not installed. So I downloaded the necessary modules and tried to install them but got stopped by the UAC because I couldn't provide an admin password.

To be honest, starting a new instance with a custom image just to enable a couple of PowerShell modules sounds like a bit of an overkill.

• Jim Martin [MSFT]Jim Martin [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just so we are clear on your question, do you want to install the PowerShell modules and publish them as RemoteApp programs? When creating your own custom template image to be used for the hybrid scenario, you can install any PowerShell modules you want and publish them as RemoteApp programs. Regarding local admin accounts, you can create one on the template image and it will persist to the VMs that make up the service.

Please let us know if we misunderstood your request.

← Previous 1

RemoteApp

Feedback and Knowledge Base