Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Runbook Libraries / Repositories

It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a certain integration into a library of child repository in Azure. Let me do some explaining on this. Currently I have 235 runbooks for automation which makes managing my environment a little difficult over time. It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a solution such as F5 integration. A library could contain the PowerShell module that we created for F5 integration, but the real power would be adding in runbooks that use that module. So I could have a collection of runbooks like Create-VIP, Update-VIP, Delete-VIP, Remove-From-Pool,…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for this suggestion!

Do you want the collection of runbooks and modules visually grouped in a folder-like structure, or are you looking for the ability to export (either to source control or locally) as a solution and to share the collection in your team? Or are you looking for both?

Thanks,
    Beth

2. Test Pane should show what's actually happening

Currently the test pane only shows the output that specific commands write, but if a command isn't writing anything, there's no way to know where in the script the problem is occurring. Similarly with issues, if something is endlessly looping, there's no way to know what or if it's just very slow.
    The test pane should either be a proper step through of the script (highlighting the running command along with the output) or show it like the commands were typed into the PowerShell window itself.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion!

There are a couple of existing features that may get you most of what you are looking for.

1. While we do not have a debug mode where you can step through your runbook and see output, we do have an Add-On for the ISE and you can debug your runbooks in the ISE. http://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/AzureAutomationAuthoringToolkit/0.2.3.1

2. If you are using graphical runbooks, there are settings that you can turn on to show exactly what is happening and what command ran with it by turning on additional logging. Select your graphical runbook > Settings > Logging and Tracing > turn on Verbose and change Trace Level to detailed to get the level of detail you are looking for.

3. For scripts, you can set your verbose preference to continue (instead of silentlycontinue) in your runbook to debug and write to the verbose stream. $VerbosePreference =…

3. Compilation of DSC Configuration Data Hashtable Variables converts them to PSCUstomObjects

When creating a DSC configuration and assigning a hashtable to a variable in the configuration data the type is lost during compilation. Doing the compilation locally the hashtable is maintained and can be accessed to branch the configuration. Unfortunately when compiling using Azure Automation the hashtable is converted to a PSCustomObject which does not behave in the same way.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Disable schedule on individual runbooks without unlinking

It would be helpful if we could disable a schedule on a particular runbook without having to completely unlink the schedule or affect the schedule to all linked runbooks.

Having to unlink the schedule loses the ability to know when it was scheduled without noting it somewhere else if/when it needs enabled again.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create 2 or more schedules for different sets of VMs using the same runbook

Start/Stop During off-Hours Solution

Limitations:

1. ScheduledStartStopParent and SequencedStartStopParent runbooks are unable to have 2 or more separated start or stop schedules for different sets of virtual machines each, since the parameters inputs are fixed to automation account variables.

For example: If I want to turn RG1 vms at 7am and RG2 vms at 10am I have to clone the runbook and create new variables for the RG2 vms.

As an automation manager, I would like to be able to have different schedules for different RGs/VMs at different hours using the same runbook to minimize complexity and add more…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow access to Azure KeyVault

Currently, i'm using azureKeyVault for account and secret but it didn't work in DSC automation configuration so i need to push to AzureAutomationCredential to access. Is it possible to allow access keyvault from automation ?

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. export /import run book into VSTS

While working on Azure run books we would like to export the the scripts into VSTS and put them under version control. Therefore we have one single source for all code. This is usefully we can keep in sync version of scripts with the current version of code including environment requirements

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to specify a default hybrid worker group

The Automation Administrator should be able to specify a default hybrid worker group for all runbooks as well as a per-runbook default hybrid worker group.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow filter and sort options in Runbook All logs

Currently when viewing the Logs for any Automation Account job there is no way to sort on Time column to bring the latest logs to top nor there is an option to filter the log or jump to the end of the log.
    Its painful to keep hitting Load more to reach the end of the log.
    Adding sort and filter capability will make view logs easy.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow the use of custom tags for the Start/Stop VM Solution

I'd like to target the start and stop actions against a group of VMs with a custom tag or ideally, multiple tags with different schedules. Targeting against a subscription and resource group or VM list works fine, but more granular control would be useful!

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Github checkin for modules and configurationdata needed

right now, while I can connect to github, the only thing I'm able to check-in or out are runbooks. This needs to be extended to both modules, configurations, and configuration data in order to provide functional DSC support.

Tracking configurations is critical to a proper dev-ops model, and in the current PowerShell implementation of DSC, that means BOTH configuration scripts as well as composite configurations stored as modules.

To take it further, company specific modules need to have the same ease of check-in/out, especially with the removal of versioning from the zip.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Display Powershell 5 information stream in runbook output

Anything written to the new Powershell 5 information stream (stream 6) doesn't appear in the job output if $InformationPreference is set to 'Continue'.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. View or export Modules

The use of modules is very important in PowerShell authoring. Currently in Azure Automation, once you import a module, there is no way to view the current code that is implemented. This is challenging when you want to update a module or are troubleshooting an existing one. You can refer to source control but there is no guarantee that is what's implemented in Prod. Being able to see what is contained in a module or at least export out the zip would be helpful.

Thanks!

Christopher

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback Christopher! Are you interesting in the global modules or modules that you have imported yourself to Automation?

14. Outgoing connection only use TLS 1.0 for connectivity (TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 are not used)

If you disable TLS 1.0 on server side then Azure Automation stack will fail to establish WinRM session with such computer. Desktop version of PowerShell does not have this issue. Easy to reproduce behavior. This affects not only Azure automation but also Application Insights Webtests as well.
    Test-WSMan will show in such cases error "The SSL connection cannot be established."

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this feedback. Have you tried using a hybrid runbook worker for this? We would like to fix this in the future for our Azure runbook workers, but I think that hybrid should get you there right now.

15. Ability to Stop Test While Queued

When using the test panel for a runbook, would like to be able to stop the test when in the queuing stage. We have a runbook that was executed from the test panel that's been queued for over 90m and we have no way to stop it.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add "warning" status in the Job list and Job statistic

Currently just "Completed" and "Failed" state is shown in job list.
    If the script throws warnings, this is just visible if I go directly the job / Job overview.

E.g. in my script that assign SPE E3 licenses I throw warning messages if we are running low on licenses .. but if it's not in the dashboard the Administrator don't cares ..

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Cloning Automation Account

It would be useful to be able to clone an Automation Account. By cloning I mean:

• Copying all the variables and assets

• Copying all the Power libraries (IMPORTANT)

• Copying permissions, authorised users, service principal

• Optionally copying all scripts

The reason is that I spent quite a lot of time setting up a production automation account with all the stuff I need and I spend time to maintain it, and I would like to create cloned sandboxes for dev and test purposes.

Thanks

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for posting this feedback.

This request seems fairly similar to this one: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-automation/suggestions/13781724-migrate-runbook-with-assets-to-another-automation, but I’ll leave both open to track as they are slightly different.

You can take a look at syncing via source control or writing a script or ARM template (or both) to manage the deployment as a workaround today. Here is an example of syncing Automation content from Git that might be a useful reference: https://github.com/randorfer/ScorchDev. I know its not the same as having a button to click that does this for you, but it should work for you.

18. ParentJobId not showing in Hybrid Worker scenario

Recently the Azure Automation team released the functionality to be able to get the job Id of the current running Automation job. (https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-azure-automation/suggestions/10300698-power-shell-runbook-add-support-to-get-own-job-i)
    This works fine by using the command: $PsPrivateMetaData.JobId.Guid in a normal PowerShell runbook although if you use a hybrid worker scenario the earlier mentioned command gives no output.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Update: our team is currently working on getting this fixed.

19. Update Azure PowerShell Modules In New Azure Automation Accounts

When provisioning a new Azure Automation I would like to see an option where you can tell the service that you want all the Azure modules updated to their latest version. I believe this would save new users to the service pain when attempting to author Runbooks for the first time. This personally caused me 3 hours of pain. https://jacobbenson.io/index.php/2018/05/16/set-azurermvmcustomscriptextension-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object/

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Update Management - Email Notification

Would love the ability to generate email notifications for Update Management scheduled runs. I could see success/fails/run details, including the dashboard GUI representation currently in the portal.

Currently, there is no combination of roles that can expose this data to the application owners unless you grant them subscription-level permissions (which is not feasible/a good idea). Email notifications would allow for reporting patching status to non-admins.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base