Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Display Powershell 5 information stream in runbook output

Anything written to the new Powershell 5 information stream (stream 6) doesn't appear in the job output if $InformationPreference is set to 'Continue'.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. View or export Modules

The use of modules is very important in PowerShell authoring. Currently in Azure Automation, once you import a module, there is no way to view the current code that is implemented. This is challenging when you want to update a module or are troubleshooting an existing one. You can refer to source control but there is no guarantee that is what's implemented in Prod. Being able to see what is contained in a module or at least export out the zip would be helpful.

Thanks!

Christopher

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for the feedback Christopher! Are you interesting in the global modules or modules that you have imported yourself to Automation?

3. Outgoing connection only use TLS 1.0 for connectivity (TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 are not used)

If you disable TLS 1.0 on server side then Azure Automation stack will fail to establish WinRM session with such computer. Desktop version of PowerShell does not have this issue. Easy to reproduce behavior. This affects not only Azure automation but also Application Insights Webtests as well.
    Test-WSMan will show in such cases error "The SSL connection cannot be established."

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this feedback. Have you tried using a hybrid runbook worker for this? We would like to fix this in the future for our Azure runbook workers, but I think that hybrid should get you there right now.

4. Add "warning" status in the Job list and Job statistic

Currently just "Completed" and "Failed" state is shown in job list.
    If the script throws warnings, this is just visible if I go directly the job / Job overview.

E.g. in my script that assign SPE E3 licenses I throw warning messages if we are running low on licenses .. but if it's not in the dashboard the Administrator don't cares ..

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PowerShell Cmdlets for Watcher Tasks

No cmdlets are available to interact with watcher tasks (creating, starting, stopping, getting job status, job details, etc.).

There is no way to monitor watcher tasks to check status to ensure the watcher sandbox is running.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. ParentJobId not showing in Hybrid Worker scenario

Recently the Azure Automation team released the functionality to be able to get the job Id of the current running Automation job. (https://feedback.azure.com/forums/246290-azure-automation/suggestions/10300698-power-shell-runbook-add-support-to-get-own-job-i)
    This works fine by using the command: $PsPrivateMetaData.JobId.Guid in a normal PowerShell runbook although if you use a hybrid worker scenario the earlier mentioned command gives no output.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Update: our team is currently working on getting this fixed.

7. Update Azure PowerShell Modules In New Azure Automation Accounts

When provisioning a new Azure Automation I would like to see an option where you can tell the service that you want all the Azure modules updated to their latest version. I believe this would save new users to the service pain when attempting to author Runbooks for the first time. This personally caused me 3 hours of pain. https://jacobbenson.io/index.php/2018/05/16/set-azurermvmcustomscriptextension-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object/

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. How to automate SAML Signing Certificate managment

How to automate SAML Signing Certificate managment

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add node js library

It would be awesome if you would add Azure Automation node library to your azure-sdk-for-node.
    Really looking forward for this!

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing this feedback. As Joe mentioned on GitHub, the team is looking at this.

10. Assign DCS Multiple Node Configurations to a DCS Node

Would be nice to be able to assign multiple DCS node configurations to a DCS node, i.e. the same way we can have multiple GPO assigned to an OU.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Support for GDI+ on worker

hi all, I'm developing a runbook that generates mail with graphical content using System.Web.DataVisualization.Chart class. Since the runbook grabs data from OMS Log Analytics it is an ideal solution for an Azure worker, alas when I run the runbook I get "A generic error occurred in GDI+'. Any plan to add support for GDI in the Azure worker?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow cross-tenant Azure Automation update deployments

Previously we were able to perform cross-tenant deployments to all of the customers that we support from a centralized automation accounts in our main tenant, however this appears to no longer be the case as we received an email from the product group stating so.

We would like to continue to use this feature as we have been for several months. Managing multiple Log Analytics and Automation account resources in multiple tenants is not idea for someone who may support multiple tenants.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide notification when global modules are changed in the automation account

Today global modules can be added and updated without any prior notification by the Azure Automation team. In certain scenarios these changes cause issues with existing code used in the account. A simple banner in the automation account indicating which modules were updated would facilitate troubleshooting efforts.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow to enter an AAD user account when manually start a runbook, or allow to use the credentials of the signed-in user (AAD token)

Allow to enter an AAD user account when manually start a runbook (instead of store it as Asset), or allow to use the credentials of the signed-in user (reuse the AAD issued access token)

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We will look into making authentication to Azure easier and will take this suggestion into consideration.

15. Provide a "premium" SKU for Automation Accounts without/increased limits

It would be very useful to have an automation account with either dedicated sandboxes and/or sandboxes with increased maximum limits, especially for memory and network sockets.
    Furthermore, the current way of assigning jobs to a sandbox is unpredictable, resulting in jobs to randomly fail.
    Using Hybrid Workers requires maintaining VM(s), which a lot of customers are trying to avoid when migrating their infrastructure to Azure.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

16. Allow use of assets (variables) in runbook parameters

We'd welcome the possibility to use Automation account assets (like encrypted variables) when running or scheduling Runbooks.

E.g. we have Storage Account connection strings stored as encrypted variables and we have Runbooks that take a connection string as a parameter. It would be nice if we could just use value of the variable instead of having to look up the value in Azure Storage management.

I know that an alternative is to create a Runbook that will take the variable name as an input or something like that.. But that feels like too close coupling of (at least some generic)…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion! Our team has looked at this in the past and having your vote for this feature helps us prioritize adding it.

17. "Copy" as in Copy/Past works intermittently from Edit screen

When trying to copy paste data, the copy works intermittently at best. I have not been able to reliably replicate a scenario where this works. I can literally select some text, copy it, paste it to notepad (or something else), then go back to copy something else and it fails to copy still retaining what I last had in the clipboard.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting this! What browser are you using? Does refreshing the portal help with the issue?

18. Please add SQL as Runbook type.

This would make Azure Automation a suitable replacement for SQL Agent. It would require only a few inputs: Server, Database, Credentials and obviously the SQL code to execute.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to Stop Test While Queued

When using the test panel for a runbook, would like to be able to stop the test when in the queuing stage. We have a runbook that was executed from the test panel that's been queued for over 90m and we have no way to stop it.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Start/Stop VM solution for automation accounts should contain Weekday scheduling as an optoin

At the moment Start Stop VM only supports daily startup/shut down. Whats the point if the work week consist of 5 days . I dont need to fire up the VM's on Saturday and Sunday just to shut them down again.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base