Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Surface runbook errors in the Automation account overview page like runbook exceptions are surfaced

Currently if my runbook is having issues and I look at the overview page, I can only see exceptions of the runbook. The runbook may hit errors during execution, which do not show up on this page.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Move "Run on" to runbook settings

It doesn't make sense to have "Run on" dynamically selecteable. Please move it to "Runbook settings" so that we can do a one-time configuration of whether a runbook should run using hybrid workers or cloud-based workers.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. authenticate source control fails

We use VSTS + Git for change control. When asked to authenticate there is a failure with 0 additional information. Our source control is part of the same AD tenant.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Delete subscriptions without first removing RBAC role definitions /assignable scopes

We have a custom RBAC role definition that we link to new subscriptions. If we delete a subscription without first removing the link with the RBAC role definition, we are unable to link this role definition to new subscriptions. This is blocking our environment, because we are not able to adapt our current role and rights model.

So, it should be possible to remove subscriptions without first removing the link(s) with role definitions /assignable scopes.

See ticket 117020815287840 for more information.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Role Based Access Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Adding a "Create New" button in Graphical Runbook configuration when adding input parameters

when configuring input parameters for a cmdlet in the graphical runbook canvas, if there are no inputs configured, you'll get an "No item to display" message and you have to go back and add input parameters. However, you will lose unsaved changes if you go back. To make it more user friendly, would it be better if there's a "Create New" button next to the "No item to display" message so users can create input parameters without having to go back and lose unsaved changes.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Graphical authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for voting for this suggestion. We will look into adding functionality that makes adding input parameters from cmdlet configuration easier.

6. Show the line number when an exception is raised

I tend to use ErrorActionPreference = 'STOP' in my Runbooks (and my Powershell scripts) because if I haven't handled an exception, I want to know. While in Powershell this gives me a useful trace to go back and figure out what went wrong, in Azure Automation I am presented with only the exception name, ie "An error occurred while sending the request.". This makes it really hard to find out what happened.

As a work around, I can put a whole bunch of Write-Verbose statements in my Runbook, but this is tedious. It would be great if Azure Automation could…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you provide more detail on what you mean by useful? Do you want to know where in the code the error occurred? Can you provide an example of what you find useful for debugging PS in the ISE?

You may want to try using ErrorRecord.InvocationInfo for non-terminating errors since on non-terminating errors, we currently save this data in the Error stream.

On terminating errors (exceptions), this data is currently lost. But we can investigate storing this information to present it for debugging. I would like to make sure that this is the info that you are looking for though, so please confirm.

As a workaround for now, you could write a global try/catch block in the runbook (which will also catch exceptions thrown because of $ErrorActionPreference = ‘Stop’) and write $_.ErrorRecord.InvocationInfo to a stream.

7. Setup DevOps SourceControl sync as a AzureADApp service principle

I would like to list two issues and possibly can be addressed by one implementation.

1. Would like to setup sync between Azure Automation Account and DevOps as an Azure AD APP service principle and/or managed identity of automation account, rather than a person or on-prem service account.

2. Would like to access files from DevOps Repository (e.g latest ARM templates) as a REST call using managed identity/service principle.

Above is very important as people leave organisations and can leave broken process behind and the worst is, the organisations would not know until something drastic happens.

Please see the issues below in…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Migrate runbook with assets to another Automation Account

It would be nice to have the option to migrate a runbook to another Automation Account. With a user action, on whether or not assets and stuff, associated to the runbook, should be moved too.

I see it useful in a Test / Prod environment. We want multiple users to be able to develop runbooks, but only in a controlled environment. And then move it to our production Automation Account when done.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion. We do have integration with source control which would easily enable you to sync your runbooks from a dev to prod account easily. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/azure-automation-source-control-13/

Are you asking to be able to pick a runbook and supporting assets and then move them to another account? Would being able to group them together and export them as an ARM template work as a potential solution or is your preference to have a tool in the UX to do this?

9. Module Request: Configuration Manager (SCCM) Powershell Module

I'd like to see full support for the System Center Configuration Manager Powershell Module/Cmdlet Library in Azure Automation.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Sync in both directions

I find that a possibility to sync to repos would be useful as that would enable creation of already existing runbook files in the repo, also the graphical runbooks (if any) could be exported that way.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow monitoring runbooks like orchestrator

Allow for "monitoring" runbooks like orchestrator does, without minutes charge or provide this only for hybrid workers. It makes no sense in running runbooks 24 hours waiting for a condition before the actual magic starts and being charged for the entire day.
    Having this option free of charge on hybrid workers would be a great improvement, since we pay for the computer onprem this makes sense.

Without this option it is a half solution where we need to run scripts or on prem solution to monitor for a condition and after this send out the webhook call which than again…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Interactive Console

It would be great if the test pane offered a true interactive REPL. This would allow better testing and debugging of code before publishing. Right now there always seems to be a bit of guesswork involved in getting a script runbook working correctly and being able to debug the script would be really beneficial. I am a big fan of the ISE add-on for Azure Automation, but this doesn't really offer true debugging features.

I know this is a tall order and may not be possible, but it's definitely on my wish list!

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion! You are right that this is a larger work item, but something that could really help with debugging. Having your & the community vote for it helps our team prioritize the work though, so even if its a tall order its great for us to get the feedback.

13. Pause a published runbook to prevent it accepting new jobs

Today once you publish a runbook there is no way to put it in maintenance mode and prevent new jobs from being accepted. You only choices seem to be to delete the runbook so it is not shown as published (which loses all job history), or comment out the runbook code and publish that version so it basically does nothing. Would like to see a new menu option to Pause or Disable/Enable a published runbook.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Introduce Python 3 support to Azure Automation

Azure Automation offers support for Python 2 however Python 2 will not be maintained after January 1 2020. It'd make sense to plan for the switch now to Python 3 to ease the transition period.

Especially seeing as there seems to be a general move away from Python 2 in projects generally anyway.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. More robust viewing and management of Hybrid Runbook Workers

Hybrid runbook workers should have management offered through the Azure Portal and via PowerShell cmdlets.

User story 1: As a user I should be able to see which hybrid runbook worker a particular job ran on, not just the hybrid worker group (which I should see as well). The Azure Portal UI should show me the specific hybrid worker and I should also see the specific hybrid worker as output when executing Get-AzureRmAutomationJob (again, in addition to the Hybrid Worker Group).

User story 2: As a user I should be able to configure individual hybrid workers to be available/unavailable to…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Connection fields for modules are not updated

I have a module that has a connection. That connection has 3 fields in it. Import the module in SMA. I can see the connection imported by that module and I can create connections. I update my module and in the definition for the connection I add 2 more fields. I logon to the Azure Portal. Remove my old module and import the new one with the updated connection that has 5 fields in total. When I try to create a new connection of the type in my module I can see only the 3 fields that were in my…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion. Yes, as you mentioned & Joe explained this is a known issue in SMA and Azure Automation, but there are workarounds now.
    We can use this request to track making connection types mutable.

17. PowerShell Cmdlets for Watcher Tasks

No cmdlets are available to interact with watcher tasks (creating, starting, stopping, getting job status, job details, etc.).

There is no way to monitor watcher tasks to check status to ensure the watcher sandbox is running.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Use new Azure API version2017-03-03-Preview in Set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch to support new Kusto query

Please use new Azure API version2017-03-03-Preview in Set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch to support new Kusto query instead API version-2015-03-xx. The old API doesn't support new Kusto queries and I receive errors like:

PS C:\Windows\system32> set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch -ResourceGroupName rgvmosupdates -WorkspaceName VM-OS-Updates -DisplayName "TestQuery" -SavedSearchId testquery -Category "Updates" -Query 'Update | where UpdateState in~ ("needed", "not needed")' -Version 1

set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch : This oms query language is not supported on current workspace anymore. The query cannot be converted to new language. Check query syntax.
    At line:1 char:1
    + set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch -ResourceGroupName rgvmosupdates ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch], CloudException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Rest.Azure.CloudException,Microsoft.Azure.Commands.OperationalInsights.SetAzureOperationalInsightsSavedSearchCommand

Portal is…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow use of assets (variables) in runbook parameters

We'd welcome the possibility to use Automation account assets (like encrypted variables) when running or scheduling Runbooks.

E.g. we have Storage Account connection strings stored as encrypted variables and we have Runbooks that take a connection string as a parameter. It would be nice if we could just use value of the variable instead of having to look up the value in Azure Storage management.

I know that an alternative is to create a Runbook that will take the variable name as an input or something like that.. But that feels like too close coupling of (at least some generic)…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion! Our team has looked at this in the past and having your vote for this feature helps us prioritize adding it.

20. Enable certificate rotation for runas connections

Certificates related to azure automation runas connection expire after 1 year wtihout notifying anyone. This results in Runbooks not being executed without noticing it if you are not looking into the history.
    It would be nice if there would be a certificate rotation in a configurable manner that updates the certificates.
    At the moment the only workaround is to place a longrunning certificate to the runas connection which does not fit the compliance.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base