Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Sync in both directions

I find that a possibility to sync to repos would be useful as that would enable creation of already existing runbook files in the repo, also the graphical runbooks (if any) could be exported that way.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow monitoring runbooks like orchestrator

Allow for "monitoring" runbooks like orchestrator does, without minutes charge or provide this only for hybrid workers. It makes no sense in running runbooks 24 hours waiting for a condition before the actual magic starts and being charged for the entire day.
    Having this option free of charge on hybrid workers would be a great improvement, since we pay for the computer onprem this makes sense.

Without this option it is a half solution where we need to run scripts or on prem solution to monitor for a condition and after this send out the webhook call which than again…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Module Request: Configuration Manager (SCCM) Powershell Module

I'd like to see full support for the System Center Configuration Manager Powershell Module/Cmdlet Library in Azure Automation.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Interactive Console

It would be great if the test pane offered a true interactive REPL. This would allow better testing and debugging of code before publishing. Right now there always seems to be a bit of guesswork involved in getting a script runbook working correctly and being able to debug the script would be really beneficial. I am a big fan of the ISE add-on for Azure Automation, but this doesn't really offer true debugging features.

I know this is a tall order and may not be possible, but it's definitely on my wish list!

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for posting this suggestion! You are right that this is a larger work item, but something that could really help with debugging. Having your & the community vote for it helps our team prioritize the work though, so even if its a tall order its great for us to get the feedback.

5. More robust viewing and management of Hybrid Runbook Workers

Hybrid runbook workers should have management offered through the Azure Portal and via PowerShell cmdlets.

User story 1: As a user I should be able to see which hybrid runbook worker a particular job ran on, not just the hybrid worker group (which I should see as well). The Azure Portal UI should show me the specific hybrid worker and I should also see the specific hybrid worker as output when executing Get-AzureRmAutomationJob (again, in addition to the Hybrid Worker Group).

User story 2: As a user I should be able to configure individual hybrid workers to be available/unavailable to…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Connection fields for modules are not updated

I have a module that has a connection. That connection has 3 fields in it. Import the module in SMA. I can see the connection imported by that module and I can create connections. I update my module and in the definition for the connection I add 2 more fields. I logon to the Azure Portal. Remove my old module and import the new one with the updated connection that has 5 fields in total. When I try to create a new connection of the type in my module I can see only the 3 fields that were in my…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion. Yes, as you mentioned & Joe explained this is a known issue in SMA and Azure Automation, but there are workarounds now.
    We can use this request to track making connection types mutable.

7. Use new Azure API version2017-03-03-Preview in Set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch to support new Kusto query

Please use new Azure API version2017-03-03-Preview in Set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch to support new Kusto query instead API version-2015-03-xx. The old API doesn't support new Kusto queries and I receive errors like:

PS C:\Windows\system32> set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch -ResourceGroupName rgvmosupdates -WorkspaceName VM-OS-Updates -DisplayName "TestQuery" -SavedSearchId testquery -Category "Updates" -Query 'Update | where UpdateState in~ ("needed", "not needed")' -Version 1

set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch : This oms query language is not supported on current workspace anymore. The query cannot be converted to new language. Check query syntax.
    At line:1 char:1
    + set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch -ResourceGroupName rgvmosupdates ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-AzOperationalInsightsSavedSearch], CloudException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Rest.Azure.CloudException,Microsoft.Azure.Commands.OperationalInsights.SetAzureOperationalInsightsSavedSearchCommand

Portal is…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. PowerShell Cmdlets for Watcher Tasks

No cmdlets are available to interact with watcher tasks (creating, starting, stopping, getting job status, job details, etc.).

There is no way to monitor watcher tasks to check status to ensure the watcher sandbox is running.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable certificate rotation for runas connections

Certificates related to azure automation runas connection expire after 1 year wtihout notifying anyone. This results in Runbooks not being executed without noticing it if you are not looking into the history.
    It would be nice if there would be a certificate rotation in a configurable manner that updates the certificates.
    At the moment the only workaround is to place a longrunning certificate to the runas connection which does not fit the compliance.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Runbook Libraries / Repositories

It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a certain integration into a library of child repository in Azure. Let me do some explaining on this. Currently I have 235 runbooks for automation which makes managing my environment a little difficult over time. It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a solution such as F5 integration. A library could contain the PowerShell module that we created for F5 integration, but the real power would be adding in runbooks that use that module. So I could have a collection of runbooks like Create-VIP, Update-VIP, Delete-VIP, Remove-From-Pool,…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion!

Do you want the collection of runbooks and modules visually grouped in a folder-like structure, or are you looking for the ability to export (either to source control or locally) as a solution and to share the collection in your team? Or are you looking for both?

Thanks,
    Beth

11. Compilation of DSC Configuration Data Hashtable Variables converts them to PSCUstomObjects

When creating a DSC configuration and assigning a hashtable to a variable in the configuration data the type is lost during compilation. Doing the compilation locally the hashtable is maintained and can be accessed to branch the configuration. Unfortunately when compiling using Azure Automation the hashtable is converted to a PSCustomObject which does not behave in the same way.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Pause a published runbook to prevent it accepting new jobs

Today once you publish a runbook there is no way to put it in maintenance mode and prevent new jobs from being accepted. You only choices seem to be to delete the runbook so it is not shown as published (which loses all job history), or comment out the runbook code and publish that version so it basically does nothing. Would like to see a new menu option to Pause or Disable/Enable a published runbook.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Create 2 or more schedules for different sets of VMs using the same runbook

Start/Stop During off-Hours Solution

Limitations:

1. ScheduledStartStop_Parent and SequencedStartStop_Parent runbooks are unable to have 2 or more separated start or stop schedules for different sets of virtual machines each, since the parameters inputs are fixed to automation account variables.

For example: If I want to turn RG1 vms at 7am and RG2 vms at 10am I have to clone the runbook and create new variables for the RG2 vms.

As an automation manager, I would like to be able to have different schedules for different RGs/VMs at different hours using the same runbook to minimize complexity and add more flexibility.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Introduce Python 3 support to Azure Automation

Azure Automation offers support for Python 2 however Python 2 will not be maintained after January 1 2020. It'd make sense to plan for the switch now to Python 3 to ease the transition period.

Especially seeing as there seems to be a general move away from Python 2 in projects generally anyway.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow access to Azure KeyVault

Currently, i'm using azureKeyVault for account and secret but it didn't work in DSC automation configuration so i need to push to AzureAutomationCredential to access. Is it possible to allow access keyvault from automation ?

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. export /import run book into VSTS

While working on Azure run books we would like to export the the scripts into VSTS and put them under version control. Therefore we have one single source for all code. This is usefully we can keep in sync version of scripts with the current version of code including environment requirements

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ability to specify a default hybrid worker group

The Automation Administrator should be able to specify a default hybrid worker group for all runbooks as well as a per-runbook default hybrid worker group.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Test Pane should show what's actually happening

Currently the test pane only shows the output that specific commands write, but if a command isn't writing anything, there's no way to know where in the script the problem is occurring. Similarly with issues, if something is endlessly looping, there's no way to know what or if it's just very slow.
    The test pane should either be a proper step through of the script (highlighting the running command along with the output) or show it like the commands were typed into the PowerShell window itself.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion!

There are a couple of existing features that may get you most of what you are looking for.

1. While we do not have a debug mode where you can step through your runbook and see output, we do have an Add-On for the ISE and you can debug your runbooks in the ISE. http://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/AzureAutomationAuthoringToolkit/0.2.3.1

2. If you are using graphical runbooks, there are settings that you can turn on to show exactly what is happening and what command ran with it by turning on additional logging. Select your graphical runbook > Settings > Logging and Tracing > turn on Verbose and change Trace Level to detailed to get the level of detail you are looking for.

3. For scripts, you can set your verbose preference to continue (instead of silentlycontinue) in your runbook to debug and write to the verbose stream. $VerbosePreference =…

19. Disable schedule on individual runbooks without unlinking

It would be helpful if we could disable a schedule on a particular runbook without having to completely unlink the schedule or affect the schedule to all linked runbooks.

Having to unlink the schedule loses the ability to know when it was scheduled without noting it somewhere else if/when it needs enabled again.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow filter and sort options in Runbook All logs

Currently when viewing the Logs for any Automation Account job there is no way to sort on Time column to bring the latest logs to top nor there is an option to filter the log or jump to the end of the log.
    Its painful to keep hitting Load more to reach the end of the log.
    Adding sort and filter capability will make view logs easy.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base