Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support other mainstream, cross-platform scripting language like Python and Ruby

Other cross-platform languages like Python and Ruby have served as automation and orchestration scripting languages of choice for much longer than PowerShell. A large community of users already know and use Python on Windows, Linux, and Mac systems. Its okay to invent something new with Powershell, although it would be even better to embrace and support existing languages like Python for IT Automation.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Move "Run on" to runbook settings

It doesn't make sense to have "Run on" dynamically selecteable. Please move it to "Runbook settings" so that we can do a one-time configuration of whether a runbook should run using hybrid workers or cloud-based workers.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hybrid  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Support for Newtonsoft.Json.dll v10 or higher

Currently, Azure Automation requires v6 of Newtonsoft.Json.dll. Certain Powershell modules used in automation (in this case, VMWare's PowerCLI) utilize newer versions of Newtonsoft.Json.dll. In this scenario, the cmdlets which rely on this newer version of the .dll will fail to execute when ran under AA due to AA requiring the older version. Similar issues are outlined in Azure SDK feedback on Github here:

https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-net/issues/4380#issuecomment-415025767

An Azure support ticket was created for this issue:119103124005441

PowerCLI specific error:
    Get-ContentLibraryItem Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow multiple .Net framework versions including the latest 4.6.2

The current sandbox only supports .Net Framework 4.5.2. Would be better to have a support to run the automation script with at least 3 versions of .Net framework including the latest version of 4.6.x.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add an option to manually set the frequency of the log data for Change Tracking

Currently, the frequency that the log data is collected from Change Tracking solution as shown on the following document couldn't be edited. (It's possible only for Windows Service.)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/change-tracking#change-tracking-and-inventory-data-collection

However, I have some customers who would like to change the frequency to match the requirement of their systems. It would be great if you could add an option to manually set the frequency for all data from change tracking.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Signed runbooks for Azure cloud platform worker

Please add support to run only signed Runbooks so that we can be sure that no modifications are made for our runbooks.
    It should work not only on Hybrid worker as it is now, but also on Azure cloud platform worker.
    We should be able to provide our certificates for signature checks (better via KeyVault integration).

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable Implicit Remoting

I don't seem to be able to use implicit remoting to manage things like Exchange Online or the Office 365 Compliance Center, which leverages Exchange as well.

This is a hurdle for me as I can't migrate some of our important jobs to Azure Automation. Is it possible to enable implicit remoting in the PowerShell environment?

Thanks!

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for this feedback. We will take a look.

Also, do you have an example of a command that you are trying to use right now? I’ve heard of other customers managing Exchange & O365 with Automation, so there might be a different way to perform the task you are trying to do.

8. Disable schedule on individual runbooks without unlinking

It would be helpful if we could disable a schedule on a particular runbook without having to completely unlink the schedule or affect the schedule to all linked runbooks.

Having to unlink the schedule loses the ability to know when it was scheduled without noting it somewhere else if/when it needs enabled again.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Git (Stash) Source Control Support or TFS On-Prem

Would be good if we could connect to our Stash server rather than having to use GitHub. Alternatively we have an on-prem TFS setup that we could also use. Data sovereignty issues prevent the use of GitHub/VSO at this time.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on this! We are definitively interested in private/on-prem scenarios for source control.
    As we start to do more development in this area, our team will follow up to get more details about your specific needs.

10. authenticate source control fails

We use VSTS + Git for change control. When asked to authenticate there is a failure with 0 additional information. Our source control is part of the same AD tenant.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Open up for HelpMessage and Validation to be supported in Automation runbooks input parameters.

Ability to describe and validate required parameters in more detail, in the Test Pane. Instead of starting a runbook that will fail due to wrong inputs, users will have to correct these wrong typings before initiation of the runbook.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Show the line number when an exception is raised

I tend to use ErrorActionPreference = 'STOP' in my Runbooks (and my Powershell scripts) because if I haven't handled an exception, I want to know. While in Powershell this gives me a useful trace to go back and figure out what went wrong, in Azure Automation I am presented with only the exception name, ie "An error occurred while sending the request.". This makes it really hard to find out what happened.

As a work around, I can put a whole bunch of Write-Verbose statements in my Runbook, but this is tedious. It would be great if Azure Automation could…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you provide more detail on what you mean by useful? Do you want to know where in the code the error occurred? Can you provide an example of what you find useful for debugging PS in the ISE?

You may want to try using ErrorRecord.InvocationInfo for non-terminating errors since on non-terminating errors, we currently save this data in the Error stream.

On terminating errors (exceptions), this data is currently lost. But we can investigate storing this information to present it for debugging. I would like to make sure that this is the info that you are looking for though, so please confirm.

As a workaround for now, you could write a global try/catch block in the runbook (which will also catch exceptions thrown because of $ErrorActionPreference = ‘Stop’) and write $_.ErrorRecord.InvocationInfo to a stream.

14. Surface runbook errors in the Automation account overview page like runbook exceptions are surfaced

Currently if my runbook is having issues and I look at the overview page, I can only see exceptions of the runbook. The runbook may hit errors during execution, which do not show up on this page.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Sync in both directions

I find that a possibility to sync to repos would be useful as that would enable creation of already existing runbook files in the repo, also the graphical runbooks (if any) could be exported that way.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enable option to hide or mask input parameters for runbook job

When running job in runbook, input parameters (Input Name and Value) are displayed in job windows.

I can imagine there can be use cases such as multiple users using one runbook and the job input parameters are displayed to every users.

As a workaround, currently there are Runbook assets , variable which can encrypt the values, but these are made for automation account level.
    I believe there should be straight forward way to hide or mask input parameters for runbook job from runbook itself.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Pause a published runbook to prevent it accepting new jobs

Today once you publish a runbook there is no way to put it in maintenance mode and prevent new jobs from being accepted. You only choices seem to be to delete the runbook so it is not shown as published (which loses all job history), or comment out the runbook code and publish that version so it basically does nothing. Would like to see a new menu option to Pause or Disable/Enable a published runbook.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Start/Stop VM solution for automation accounts should contain Weekday scheduling as an optoin

At the moment Start Stop VM only supports daily startup/shut down. Whats the point if the work week consist of 5 days . I dont need to fire up the VM's on Saturday and Sunday just to shut them down again.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make available in other US Gov Regions

US Government customers would like Workspace Mapping to be available in regions outside of US Gov Virginia to utilize solutions such as Start/Stop VM during off-hours. Any timeline?

Current Regions:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/how-to/region-mappings#supported-mappings

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Introduce Python 3 support to Azure Automation

Azure Automation offers support for Python 2 however Python 2 will not be maintained after January 1 2020. It'd make sense to plan for the switch now to Python 3 to ease the transition period.

Especially seeing as there seems to be a general move away from Python 2 in projects generally anyway.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base