Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to filter jobs based on name with wildcards

In the 'runbooks' view, I can type part of a runbook name and the list of runbooks is filtered, showing all runbooks with a name that partially contains the text I typed.

In the 'jobs' view, I can only filter by typing the EXACT name of the runbook. Please extend this filter so it has the same behavior as the runbooks view.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Simplify VM Restarts

Allow restarts by a named list, not the current resource group and then select exceptions.
    Under the current setup to schedule a restart of a single vm in a resource group containing 10 other VM's it a complete mess to setup its not worth the effort, with me ending up restarting manually.
    Or even better allow a scheduled restart from the VM configuration itself along the lines of the shutdown option.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. RBAC Update management

RBAC for Azure Update Management and Log Analytics

Currently I have created a custom RBAC role for administrators accessing Automation accounts. However when they access the update management solution, they are lacking the access. Is there a proper way to grant access to Log Analytics and to the Update Management solution

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add sourceControls actions to Resource Provider

The Microsoft.Automation/automationAccounts/sourceControls/* operations (as internally used by the ARM) are not externally visible from the resource provider. As a result, custom RBAC roles cannot be created around these operations.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Role Based Access Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. xmlhttp breaks when triggering with Azure Automation Account job; Bug or Feature?

Hi AA Team!
    Could you take a look at my (unattended) help request https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ac87a04b-9439-445c-8fa6-f73230d1b4a7/do-automation-account-job-calls-block-jsessionid-cookies?forum=azureautomation? It basically claims that using an Azure AA job breaks a working solution: "The only difference between a successful and a failing execution is adding the Azure Automation Account job as application trigger." I have not found any clue in my internet researches, not did I receive any response to my posts (MSDN, SO).

Best!

A Maerz

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Runbook delegation

Sad that there is no way to grant permissions to a user to create and edit only the runbooks they create or they have access to without giving them contributor access to the whole automation account.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Role Based Access Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Zimbra to Exchange Migration tool

Zimbra to Exchange Migration tool directly migrate Zimbra to Exchange Server and Office 365 account. The application maintains meta properties of emails such as to, bcc, subject, date, time,  attachment and etc. during the migration process. The supports multiple file formats such as EML, PST, EMLX, HTML, MBOX, NSF, and etc. This software has no file size limitation.

More Information: https://www.kdetools.com/blog/how-to-migrate-zimbra-to-exchange-server.html

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow for persistent session on Azure Automation Hybrid Worker to bypass the need to load modules multiple times for a long recurring task

We have several provisioning /de-provisioning tasks that are kicked off by an external system. That system is designed to initiate these tasks on a per-user basis (not grouped) and each time a task is kicked off all of the modules required for the task have to load. This causes the time from the task being kicked off to the task complete taking quite a long time (few minutes.) In an environment where potentially thousands of tasks are queued to run, the faster things run the better.

It would be nice to be able to create some sort of 'persistent' session…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When viewing runbook schedules, display Run On settings

When viewing Runbook schedules, can the "Run on" settings be displayed (on the portal)? It would help troubleshooting to identify if the runbooks are running in Azure or Hybrid Worker Groups.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. New-AzureRmAutomationCertificate -AutomationAccountName does not recognise the $PfxCertPath

Trying to create a new certificate with PowerShell foran Automation Account and it keeps failing with "New-AzAutomationCertificate: Cannot find path '/home/<account>/<file_name>.pfx' because it does not exist.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/shared-resources/certificates#to-create-a-new-certificate-with-powershell

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Test Pane says "Saving Runbook". Never finishes. Never displays an error.

I waited 3 hours. Either work or display an error.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Patch installed Date & Time and Product details

In UpdateManagement
    1."Update" query doesn't have the details of Patch installed Date and Time.
    2. "UpdateRunProgress" doesn't have the details of Product for Windows machines. where we are getting for the Linux machines.

Hopefully we need these 2 details to be captured in mentioned query

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Provisioning an Azure subscriptions cannot be fully automated

Currently there is no way to automate the creation of new Azure Subscription. Partners must be able to automate the creation of subscription.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Start/Stop VMs during off-hours - specific VMs only?

I'm using the Start/Stop VMs during off-hours feature Azure Automation solution.
    I'm trying to use it to start/stop a small number of specified VMs only (3 VMs).
    I followed the instructions, running the ScheduledStartStop_Parent runbook and specifying the desired VMs in the VMList parameter, but at present, it's starting and stopping all VMs in all resource groups. It's literally processing all VMs in the subscription!

I've tried listing every single one of the other VMs into the "External_ExcludeVMNames" variable, but this is not a workable solution since if one of the excluded VMs is later deleted (this is a lab…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. can we use private link for update management in an automation account ?

access to windows servers to do update management

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. If file or folder is modified User Name should be mentioned in FIM report

There are very limited features in FIM. Reports don't shows which user has modified/created/deleted the file or folder.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Runbooks Simultaneous Execution

We need to run different schedules from the same runbook simultaneously. This has led to conflicts today.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. As i have verified from Update management we are unable to install the Application KBs from Include Secudule Deployment

As I have verified from Update management we are unable to install the Application KBs from ( Include ) Schedule Deployment please do help us in case if you enable this feature so that we can install the Application related KBs for Multiple VMs.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Simplify VM start and stop

Better allow a scheduled restart from the VM configuration itself along the lines of the shutdown option. my team has individual MSDN subscription but they can't create azure automation account due to organisation policy and limited permissions.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. how possible that Microsoft will provide patch/update management for AKS worker nodes.

how possible that Microsoft will provide patch/update management for AKS worker nodes. Their severity e.g. critical and security are required for appropriated responses. This also help us to comply security audit and compliance.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base