Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automate setting up automation accounts and insert code for connection into new scripts

When setting up a run book you already set a subscription and automation account so setting up a connection should be simple but it is not unless you know the exact code to use. This is not easy to find as many of the help links embedded in the run book blade point to outdated information. Also, googling comes up with all sorts of variations due to many differences between Azure versions ,and Powershell versions and script types.
    The graphical option is even more confusing to use.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. RSA two factor authentication causes a login error in the ISE-AddOn

When using the ISE Add-In and logging in with two factor RSA authentication the login page errors out.

Line: 280, Char: 1, Error: Unable to set property 'onkeypress' to undefined null reference. Code: 0

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow adding a message to a change

When making an edit to a runbook, it would be useful to be able to add a message to that change, e.g. "Fixed bug on line 22"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Start/Stop VMs during off-hours - specific VMs only?

I'm using the Start/Stop VMs during off-hours feature Azure Automation solution.
    I'm trying to use it to start/stop a small number of specified VMs only (3 VMs).
    I followed the instructions, running the ScheduledStartStop_Parent runbook and specifying the desired VMs in the VMList parameter, but at present, it's starting and stopping all VMs in all resource groups. It's literally processing all VMs in the subscription!

I've tried listing every single one of the other VMs into the "External_ExcludeVMNames" variable, but this is not a workable solution since if one of the excluded VMs is later deleted (this is a lab…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. No longer able to add the automation monitor to the dashboard?

When I created the automation account I (somehow?) added a monitoring chart to my dashboard.

I now need this chart in a different Azure dashboard, but there is no way to add it. It seems the functionality has been removed?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Linux support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Filter Search to Insert Dialogs

When using "Insert" to insert a setting or activity, it would be nice to have a full-text search filter to quickly narrow down results. Given that the Azure module has hundreds of activities already, will become increasingly tedious to locate what you want. This also fits with requests for intellisense and authoring tooling in VS or ISE.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. BUG BUG!!! Bug in Powershell Workflow

Hi,

I have been working in creating multiple VMs parallel using Azure Automation and it seems there is a major bug in Azure Automation Powershell Workflow.

Microsoft Support failed to resolve my query despite I'm having Microsoft Premier support.

PS Workflow script failed to add Multiple NIC, get an error at fetching the value from VNET and associating NIC with my Subnet.

For Reference attaching Microsoft Support Case ID: REG:117041015576485

Kindly helop

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Module-Installations are included in "Job Statistics"-Widget but excluded in "Jobs"-List

When i install a module, the job-count is incrementing. When i click on the widget to see the list jobs, the numbers don't add up.

Please list the module-installations in the "Jobs"-List.
    If this cannot be done pls exclude the module-installation from "Jobs Statistics".

Right now the UI is very confusing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Search does not seem to work for VSTS repository.

We have a large number of projects, some of which have 100s of repositories. The list that shows up is random, probably selecting some max # of repos as returned by the API. But when I type search, I do not find my repository. It always returns the same list, never the thing I was searching for. I am in the Administrator group for the project I am looking for.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. update parameter in graphical runbook when subrunbook is updated

update parameter/code in graphical runbook when subrunbook is updated. Now when you update a subrunbook which is used in a graphical runbook, there is no update of code / parameters

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Graphical authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

12. Bug in Azure run-book. Power-shell script is unable to execute in azure run book

Bug in Azure run-book. Power-shell script is unable to execute in the azure run book. For more details please check the case history of 119061723001596

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. When Publishing a runbook that runbook refences unpublished runbooks, an error should be returned and the runbook should not be published.

In nascent scenarios, the Draft & Published states of runbooks are a useful - if not required - mechanism for making and testing progressive changes to runbooks without interrupting working-state automation.

However, in mature scenarios, this scaffolding does not provide a very robust mechanism for gating changes, and does not provide an external contract to consumers that adheres to the restrictions it seemingly arbitrarily implies during execution.

The canonical example is parent/child dependency. If this is a caveat that must exist, and if during the process of Publishing, a list of referenced runbooks is built up for whatever reason (presumably…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Azure DevOps Collection Selector

As we have multiple different Azure DevOps Collections, I would like to see an additional drop to select which collection I want to connect to. I am unsure how it is picking the collection right now, but it is not the connection I need and I don't see a way to change it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. HRW will not actually operate at an Elevated Level

There is a “Known Issue” where the HRW will not actually operate at an Elevated Level and can get caught by UAC. Delegating explicit permissions from the credential resolves the issue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. When viewing runbook schedules, display Run On settings

When viewing Runbook schedules, can the "Run on" settings be displayed (on the portal)? It would help troubleshooting to identify if the runbooks are running in Azure or Hybrid Worker Groups.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Right sentance of Remove-HybridRunbookWorker

In this case for remove a VM from gybrid group"Remove-HybridRunbookWorker -url <URL> -key <PrimaryAccessKey> -machineName <ComputerName>" You must use a FQDN full name of VM

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Update script to create runas account using Az module

Script "New-RunAsAccount.ps1" from: "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/manage-runas-account#prerequisites", stay using AzureRM modules, and when I tried to change cmd-let it's didn't work.
    Here the erros i got:
    First one:
    Import-Module Az.Profile
    + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (Az.Profile:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Another error:
    .\New-RunAsAccount.ps1 -ResourceGroup $RGAutomationName -AutomationAc ...
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-RunAsAccount.ps1

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Automation account location cannot contain "-"

When creating an OMS Automation and Control from the marketplace, there is an error that the location cannot contain a "-". This means in a location West-Europe it is not possible to create the offering.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to add tags to extensions

We have a policy that Requires a specific tag to be added to all the resources. When we use New-AZVM or Set-AzureRmVMBginfoExtension it doesn't let us add tag to the extensions and VM creation is failing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base