Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Runbooks should be able to run asynchronously

Need to be able to start / stop VMs in parallel.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Search does not seem to work for VSTS repository.

We have a large number of projects, some of which have 100s of repositories. The list that shows up is random, probably selecting some max # of repos as returned by the API. But when I type search, I do not find my repository. It always returns the same list, never the thing I was searching for. I am in the Administrator group for the project I am looking for.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. update parameter in graphical runbook when subrunbook is updated

update parameter/code in graphical runbook when subrunbook is updated. Now when you update a subrunbook which is used in a graphical runbook, there is no update of code / parameters

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Graphical authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

4. Bug in Azure run-book. Power-shell script is unable to execute in azure run book

Bug in Azure run-book. Power-shell script is unable to execute in the azure run book. For more details please check the case history of 119061723001596

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When Publishing a runbook that runbook refences unpublished runbooks, an error should be returned and the runbook should not be published.

In nascent scenarios, the Draft & Published states of runbooks are a useful - if not required - mechanism for making and testing progressive changes to runbooks without interrupting working-state automation.

However, in mature scenarios, this scaffolding does not provide a very robust mechanism for gating changes, and does not provide an external contract to consumers that adheres to the restrictions it seemingly arbitrarily implies during execution.

The canonical example is parent/child dependency. If this is a caveat that must exist, and if during the process of Publishing, a list of referenced runbooks is built up for whatever reason (presumably…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure DevOps Collection Selector

As we have multiple different Azure DevOps Collections, I would like to see an additional drop to select which collection I want to connect to. I am unsure how it is picking the collection right now, but it is not the connection I need and I don't see a way to change it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. HRW will not actually operate at an Elevated Level

There is a “Known Issue” where the HRW will not actually operate at an Elevated Level and can get caught by UAC. Delegating explicit permissions from the credential resolves the issue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Powershell script which is working in WindowsPowershellISE, but not in RunbookPowershell. Please fix this

Powershell script which is working in Local system(WindowsPowershell-ISE), but not in Portal RunbookPowershell. Please fix this

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Right sentance of Remove-HybridRunbookWorker

In this case for remove a VM from gybrid group"Remove-HybridRunbookWorker -url <URL> -key <PrimaryAccessKey> -machineName <ComputerName>" You must use a FQDN full name of VM

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Update script to create runas account using Az module

Script "New-RunAsAccount.ps1" from: "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/manage-runas-account#prerequisites", stay using AzureRM modules, and when I tried to change cmd-let it's didn't work.
    Here the erros i got:
    First one:
    Import-Module Az.Profile
    + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (Az.Profile:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Another error:
    .\New-RunAsAccount.ps1 -ResourceGroup $RGAutomationName -AutomationAc ...
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-RunAsAccount.ps1

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Automation account location cannot contain "-"

When creating an OMS Automation and Control from the marketplace, there is an error that the location cannot contain a "-". This means in a location West-Europe it is not possible to create the offering.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Connection types are defined as a file in the module file. Is there a reason that you want to created them via cmdlets instead?

As a side note, you can do this through our API today as a workaround.

13. Multiple directories - only repositories from first one are visible

Having same user in multiple directories (in my case, it is my private repository and another one for startup) - I see repositories only from first directory (private) and cannot select others.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Alert logic not working

my log analytics search query returns computer name and count 1 when true. but the alert, using the same logic, and a threshold of greater than 0, does not fire.

Event
    | where EventID == 7036
    | where RenderedDescription contains "web" and RenderedDescription contains "stopped"
    | summarize lastLog = max(TimeGenerated) by Computer
    | where lastLog < ago(5m)
    | summarize count() by Computer

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Editor should support ANSI encoding

The online editor should support the ANSI encoding as well as UTF8, you can run into problems if the editor has an ANSI chracter that would show up as invisible (space or not) and cause havok.
    See the following sample of the issue from Sublime, it has the same issue as the online editor in the Automation Account Runbook.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add background job to refresh assets on the Runbook Editor blade

Add a job to refresh assets so if an asset is added in another browser tab you don't have to leave the editing blade to see the assets in the editor blade

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Update Management - Backup to Recovery Services Vault

The first I want to do before running updates on my Azure servers is back them up, yet there is no option in Update Management to do this. They are already part of a Recovery Services Vault, but I want to back them up immediately before the updates are applied.

I can code this in a 'pre-task' runbook, but what if one or more VMs fail to backup - there is no (apparent) way of removing that VM from the scope of the update deployment dynamically.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

18. OMS Change Tracking - Add Windows WildCard\API Support

We like the idea of using the Change Tracking feature of OMS to show when our critical applications are updated but we find it a pain to have to manually enter in all of our files within the portal. We would like to have both wildcard support so that I can enter all *.jar files in this folder as well as API support so our automation can add files as well. This would save hundreds of hours of our time as well as ongoing operational time as we could have our CI process enter the files into Change Tracking.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. If you link to a page, make sure the page is actually relevant

Case in point: This error:

Unexpected exception: Authentication failed for credential

Provides a link for this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/automation-troubleshooting-automation-errors#troubleshoot-common-errors-when-working-with-runbooks

Which does not, in fact, provide any help in troubleshooting that particular issue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Automate migration across compute families based on rules/usage

Remove problem of not knowing how an iaas provisioning will be used. Simplifying decisioning based on user appetite for risk or cost.
    This could use collected telemetry to evidence usage and use rules to control decisions

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base