Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Powershell script which is working in WindowsPowershellISE, but not in RunbookPowershell. Please fix this

Powershell script which is working in Local system(WindowsPowershell-ISE), but not in Portal RunbookPowershell. Please fix this

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Automation account location cannot contain "-"

When creating an OMS Automation and Control from the marketplace, there is an error that the location cannot contain a "-". This means in a location West-Europe it is not possible to create the offering.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell cmdlets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Connection types are defined as a file in the module file. Is there a reason that you want to created them via cmdlets instead?

As a side note, you can do this through our API today as a workaround.

4. Multiple directories - only repositories from first one are visible

Having same user in multiple directories (in my case, it is my private repository and another one for startup) - I see repositories only from first directory (private) and cannot select others.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Alert logic not working

my log analytics search query returns computer name and count 1 when true. but the alert, using the same logic, and a threshold of greater than 0, does not fire.

Event
    | where EventID == 7036
    | where RenderedDescription contains "web" and RenderedDescription contains "stopped"
    | summarize lastLog = max(TimeGenerated) by Computer
    | where lastLog < ago(5m)
    | summarize count() by Computer

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Editor should support ANSI encoding

The online editor should support the ANSI encoding as well as UTF8, you can run into problems if the editor has an ANSI chracter that would show up as invisible (space or not) and cause havok.
    See the following sample of the issue from Sublime, it has the same issue as the online editor in the Automation Account Runbook.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add background job to refresh assets on the Runbook Editor blade

Add a job to refresh assets so if an asset is added in another browser tab you don't have to leave the editing blade to see the assets in the editor blade

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Update Management - Backup to Recovery Services Vault

The first I want to do before running updates on my Azure servers is back them up, yet there is no option in Update Management to do this. They are already part of a Recovery Services Vault, but I want to back them up immediately before the updates are applied.

I can code this in a 'pre-task' runbook, but what if one or more VMs fail to backup - there is no (apparent) way of removing that VM from the scope of the update deployment dynamically.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

9. OMS Change Tracking - Add Windows WildCard\API Support

We like the idea of using the Change Tracking feature of OMS to show when our critical applications are updated but we find it a pain to have to manually enter in all of our files within the portal. We would like to have both wildcard support so that I can enter all *.jar files in this folder as well as API support so our automation can add files as well. This would save hundreds of hours of our time as well as ongoing operational time as we could have our CI process enter the files into Change Tracking.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. If you link to a page, make sure the page is actually relevant

Case in point: This error:

Unexpected exception: Authentication failed for credential

Provides a link for this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/automation-troubleshooting-automation-errors#troubleshoot-common-errors-when-working-with-runbooks

Which does not, in fact, provide any help in troubleshooting that particular issue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automate migration across compute families based on rules/usage

Remove problem of not knowing how an iaas provisioning will be used. Simplifying decisioning based on user appetite for risk or cost.
    This could use collected telemetry to evidence usage and use rules to control decisions

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. certificate

Windows does not let you export a private key certificate without a password, but there does not seem to be any way to specify a password when using ARM. I'm not sure why the ARM resource requires a base64 string--it would make much more sense to just reference a certificate in an existing Key Vault, like the Compute team does.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Source control integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and troubleshooting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. “Run time” property in DSC node reports is incorrect

I just noticed the following in Azure Automation DSC: The “Run time” property is way off for all DSC node reports in my Automation account, attached is an example showing runtimes of large timespans such as 23 hours.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Write-Output Only Works if Last Activity in Pipeline

I noticed that a Write-Output activity only actually produces output if it is either the last activity in the entire runbook, or if it is the last activity for a pipeline. In this context, by 'pipeline' I mean a 'leaf' on the runbook 'tree'.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable tracing to more easily troubleshoot graphical runbooks

In the runbook test experience and production jobs for graphical runbooks enable tracing of the input objects, output objects, streams, exceptions, start and end times for each activity. This will enable much more efficient troubleshooting.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Azure Automation / UserVoice users – we would appreciate your feedback on this suggestion!

18. UI is Bad.

I'm trying to essentially clone an existing runbook. Seems like the only way to do is save it out. Save is greyed out and I have no freaking idea how to activate it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thank you for posting this and sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with the UX.

A feature that we are planning to work on in the next couple of months is a “Save As” feature which would allow you to create a copy of the runbook with a different name. This should allow you to clone a runbook without exporting and re-importing with a new name.

You should expect to see save greyed out until there is a change in the runbook content. If this is not the case, its possible that you are hitting a bug. Can you try the following:
    1. Confirm save remains greyed out even after there are modifications to the runbook
    2. If save does remain greyed out, then publish the runbook or copy the text if it is textual (so you don’t lose your changes) and then start a clean browser session. …

19. Automation Runbooks do not provide tag compliance properly

Using Azure policy to audit tags does not show compliance correctly on Automation runbooks. Other resources auditing tags works correctly. Opened MS premier case and they confirmed this is a bug in the Automation resource provider. I would like to see this fixed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Forward job status and job streams from Automation to Log Analytics (OMS) - troubleshooting

I`ve followed these instructions in 3 different subscriptions/Automation Accounts to enable log analytics in OMS: https://docs.microsoft.com/nb-no/azure/automation/automation-manage-send-joblogs-log-analytics
    The Enable-AzureDiagnostics.ps1 script ran without issues, and I see two Blob containers created - insights-logs-joblogs and insights-logs-jobstreams.
    Also, the Get-AzureRmOperationalInsightsStorageInsight returns the information desribed in the section "Verify configuration" in the article.
    However, none of the following queries returns any entries in OMS:
    Category=JobStreams
    Category=JobLogs
    I thought it could take some time before it started working, but now 1 week have passed since I enabled job forwarding.
    Any hints on how to troubleshoot?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base