Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. start/Stop VMs during off-hours

Current start/Stop VMs solution in preview seems not so flexible due to the current limitaion/restriction and the use of the asset variables. Example:

1) Not allow to create multiple schedules to stop and start for different servers at different timezone in the same automation account. The Resource group and servers exclusion lists are all defined in the variables. Correct me if I’m wrong, in order to have the above solution in place, we need to have multiple automation account in place.

2) Not possible to set any specific date to exclude the job being triggered. For example we need the…

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    10 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create 2 or more schedules for different sets of VMs using the same runbook

Start/Stop During off-Hours Solution

Limitations:

1. ScheduledStartStop_Parent and SequencedStartStop_Parent runbooks are unable to have 2 or more separated start or stop schedules for different sets of virtual machines each, since the parameters inputs are fixed to automation account variables.

For example: If I want to turn RG1 vms at 7am and RG2 vms at 10am I have to clone the runbook and create new variables for the RG2 vms.

As an automation manager, I would like to be able to have different schedules for different RGs/VMs at different hours using the same runbook to minimize complexity and add more flexibility.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Start/Stop VM solution for automation accounts should contain Weekday scheduling as an optoin

At the moment Start Stop VM only supports daily startup/shut down. Whats the point if the work week consist of 5 days . I dont need to fire up the VM's on Saturday and Sunday just to shut them down again.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow the use of custom tags for the Start/Stop VM Solution

I'd like to target the start and stop actions against a group of VMs with a custom tag or ideally, multiple tags with different schedules. Targeting against a subscription and resource group or VM list works fine, but more granular control would be useful!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Provide a better way of adding and removing VM's from the VM list, Customer and I this was not clear and lost time,

Provide a better way of adding and removing VM's from the VM list, Customer and I this was not clear and lost time,

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

6. Add a parameter to automation jobs that allows a notification to be sent to an e-mail address if/when the underlying sandbox crashes

We use the Start/Stop VM automation to manage when VMs are brought online or taken offline. Recently, one of the sandboxes that runs the child jobs crashed after completing the job. In our case, the subsequent child jobs could not be launched because the crashed job still showed in a "running" state.

By adding a parameter for e-mail address to a job or runbook, a user could be notified in the event that a sandbox crashes, or if a job is stuck in the "running" state for longer than expected.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

7. Start/Stop VMs during off-hours solution - VMs in multiple subscriptions

Hello All,

I have some VMs in Production subscription and some in Devtest subscription. Update Management solution conveniently allows to configure all VMs report into a single shared Log Analytics workspace and update all VMs from a single automation account. Very nice! Lovely!

Now, as far as Start / Stop VMs solution is concerned, it is configured based using variables containing resource group names and VMs names. However, resource groups with the same name can exist in multiple subscriptions! (And VMs can have identical names, naturally). So, it appears that Start/Stop VM solution is not subscription-aware (as Update Management is)…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Runbooks should be able to run asynchronously

Need to be able to start / stop VMs in parallel.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Start / Stop VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base