Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Module Request: Configuration Manager (SCCM) Powershell Module

I'd like to see full support for the System Center Configuration Manager Powershell Module/Cmdlet Library in Azure Automation.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Runbook Libraries / Repositories

It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a certain integration into a library of child repository in Azure. Let me do some explaining on this. Currently I have 235 runbooks for automation which makes managing my environment a little difficult over time. It would be nice to bundle up runbooks related to a solution such as F5 integration. A library could contain the PowerShell module that we created for F5 integration, but the real power would be adding in runbooks that use that module. So I could have a collection of runbooks like Create-VIP, Update-VIP, Delete-VIP, Remove-From-Pool,…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for this suggestion!

Do you want the collection of runbooks and modules visually grouped in a folder-like structure, or are you looking for the ability to export (either to source control or locally) as a solution and to share the collection in your team? Or are you looking for both?

Thanks,
    Beth

3. Add Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell Module

It'd be great if you could include the latest Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell Module in the gallery.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Deploy to Azure Automation: Automation Account Name parameter

When we click on "Deploy to Azure Automation" button on PowerShellGallery.com and choose "Existing" as the value for first parameter, Automation Account Name should be change to a dropdown box prepopulated with the names of existing accounts.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for this suggestion! Our team will investigate adding our own blade for deploying from the PowerShell Gallery.

5. SharePointOnline.CSOM/0.1.0 doesn't use the Microsoft.SharePointOnline.CSOM latest version

In our PowerShell gallery https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/SharePointOnline.CSOM/0.1.0 , it is only use Microsoft.SharePointOnline.CSOM.16.1.7918.1200, which is a old version. May I know when it will use the latest version Microsoft.SharePointOnline.CSOM.16.1.8613.1200 ? And is it possible to update the PowerShell module "SharePointOnline.CSOM" when the Microsoft.SharePointOnline.CSOM nuget is updated ? Thanks !

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide runbooks in gallery for common lab setups, e.g. Exchange Server

It's common to use Azure to fire up some VMs to create a dev/test lab. Gallery samples could be provided for common setups, e.g. I want an Exchange Server created & configured so I can test software that connects to Exchange with windows authentication. Presumably there's a few common scenarios that people create in Azure and it'd be great to have a starting point in the Gallery showing how to do this with Automation.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this! We are investigating providing additional Automation samples. It really helps us to understand what some of the most common scenarios are when we build out samples.

Is creating and configuring an Exchange server for a dev/test environment the most important? Please post additional suggestions or add onto this if you feel there are any other samples that we should prioritize.

7. Module Update Improvements

Modules that are now pretty much essential for DSC are not updated through Update Modules as they're not part of the azure sdk, e.g. ComputerManagementDsc, StorageDSC. Option to update these rather than going to the gallery and importing again would be better.

On the modules page show current and new version numbers if applicable so you know what's out of date.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base