Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SUSE 15 Support in Azure Automation

Azure Automation, specifically the Update Management solution within Azure Automation, currently lists only SUSE Linux Enterprise versions 11 and 12 as supported. Given that SUSE 15 is listed as an Endorsed Distrubition on Microsoft Docs (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/endorsed-distros), I am confused about the reasoning behind its absence.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Linux support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Update SSH.NET Library for SSH module

I was testing out Azure Automation service to run simple scripts on our Linux VMs. To do this, I imported "Run SSH Command to Install Updates" by Beth Cooper and SSH module by Joe Levy.

On the Linux box, I am getting the following error:
    sshd: fatal: mmanswermoduli: bad parameters: 2048 2048 1024

Searching for solution, I stumbled upon a forum where it was said that the latest version of SSH.NET library addressed this problem. It would be helpful if the SSH module can be updated to make it work with the latest Linux (SSH) boxes.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Oracle Linux Support in Azure Automation

We would like the ability to use the Azure Automation Hybrid Runbook Worker and Update Management features with our Oracle Linux 7 VMs. Oracle Linux is listed as an endorsed distribution in the Azure documentation (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/endorsed-distros), and is a derivative of RHEL, an already supported OS. Some of our Oracle applications require Oracle Linux, so moving them to RHEL or CentOS is not an option.

Thank you!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Update

Update management solution for Linux should contain more detailed information of each update, for example, for kernel update, specific what component updates are included.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. multi-home

Multi-Home Linux agent

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. DSCForLinux extension: Unable to onboard Linux VMs as DSC Nodes using PowerShell

In my PowerShell script, I am trying to deploy the DSCForLinux extension that will apply a pre-compiled MOF file from blob storage to the Linux VMs, but it takes hours and eventually fails. This is the extension properties I use in my script:

# Apply DSC for Linux extension to all Linux VMs
    $dscExtensionName = 'DSCForLinux'
    $dscPublisher = 'Microsoft.OSTCExtensions'
    $dscVersion = '2.0'
    $dscPublicConf = "{

`"ExtensionAction`": `"Pull`",

`"FileUri`": [`"$dscMetaMofBlobUri[$i-1]`"]
    }"

$dscPrivateConf = "{

`"storageAccountName`": `"$saName`",

`"storageAccountKey`": `"$storageKeyPri`"
    }"

And this is the error:

Set-AzureRmVMExtension : Long running operation failed with status 'Failed'.
    ErrorCode: VMExtensionProvisioningTimeout
    ErrorMessage: Provisioning of VM extension 'DSCForLinux'…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Linux support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Documentation on how to set up Hybrid Runbook worker and Run them on-premises

I'm getting this errror while running runbook as Hybrid worker "Failed
    cannot create user data directory: /home/nxautomation/run/snap/powershell/88: Permission denied". Even after giving 777 access to that folder error remains the same.
    First thing first, I found the documentation on Hybrid Runbook Worker is not clear and enough.

when I run the Job with signature is set, I am not able to sign the runbook with command gpg --clear-sign sample_runbook getting error no such file or directory and in the documentation it says In order make the keyring available the hybrid runbook worker modify the the file under the following directory: …

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base