Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide more control of how runbooks are allocated to a sandbox

There are several scenarios that cause sandboxes to crash or runbooks to fail in both hybrid workers or in Azure.
    1) Sandboxes fail with out of memory randomly. If the wrong combination of runbooks get executed in a sandbox the the sandbox can crash intermittently. If there was a way to control how many jobs run in a sandbox, or flag particular runbox to run by themselves and not share a runbook this problem could be mitigated.
    2) If runbooks land in a sandbox that require different subscriptions one of the runbooks will fail. Someway of preventing this so that…

345 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. az cli support in runbooks

az command cannot be found when using in a runbook

215 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Python 3

Why on Earth was this new functionality introduced using the outdated Python 2?

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support PowerShell Core as Runbook Type

I develop on OSX and so use PowerShell Core heavily.

It's frustrating when Azure Automation Runbooks don't work the same way as they do locally because they run PowerShell 5.

For example, Invoke-RestMethod in PowerShell Core supports the following parameter:
    -Authentication

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. CSP Subscription cannot create Azure Classic Run as Account

When creating Automation Account in Azure portal, if we use CSP subscription, creating Classic Run as Account is failure.

Because CSP can access ARM resource only.
    But error message is very unclear.

Azure Classic Run As account creation error

An error occurred while creating the Azure Classic Run As account for account 'AutomationTest'. Error details: ForbiddenError: The server failed to authenticate the request. Verify that the certificate is valid and is associated with this subscription..

<Request>
    For resources not available in CSP, please output error including CSP string.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ability to remove jobs from the Jobs history

The list of jobs quickly gets long and if you play around with some configurations etc and the job fails it will mess up the statistics (and potentially scare some people). So I suggest an option to remove jobs from that list.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add native support for job concurrency control

Certain runbooks must not have more than one concurrent job instance running at any time. Although we have some workarounds using helper runbooks / job queue tables, including this natively as we had it in SCORCH would really help, as the workarounds do not guarantee the behavior 100%

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support a service tag which denotes the IP address space for Azure Automation

Currently, we don't support a service tag which denotes the IP address space for Azure Automation service. There are scenarios where a customer would like to allow only the inbound traffic from Azure Automation service by using NSG when a runbook send a HTTP request to a VM. Such customers are requires to whitelist all IP addresses of Azure datacenter. However the customers need to update the settings of NSG every week because there's a possibility that the Azure IP ranges are changed once a week. This requires complicated procedures and high-maintenance. So, it would be great if the service…

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Link Azure Automation Account to OMS Workspace using Powershell

I am trying to generate an OMS Solution using Log Analytics and Azure Automation. However, after I create an Azure Automation account i observe that there is no way to link the Azure Automation account to the Log Analytics workspace. It would be great if this option is available.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow multiple .Net framework versions including the latest 4.6.2

The current sandbox only supports .Net Framework 4.5.2. Would be better to have a support to run the automation script with at least 3 versions of .Net framework including the latest version of 4.6.x.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Enable Implicit Remoting

I don't seem to be able to use implicit remoting to manage things like Exchange Online or the Office 365 Compliance Center, which leverages Exchange as well.

This is a hurdle for me as I can't migrate some of our important jobs to Azure Automation. Is it possible to enable implicit remoting in the PowerShell environment?

Thanks!

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Thanks for this feedback. We will take a look.

Also, do you have an example of a command that you are trying to use right now? I’ve heard of other customers managing Exchange & O365 with Automation, so there might be a different way to perform the task you are trying to do.

12. Trigger email notifications or Azure log generation when a certificate is nearing expiration.

We recently ran into an issue where the AzureRunAs cert expired and caused most automations to fail due to a connectivity error. The client hadn't checked on AA for a bit and didn't see the portal warning.

Would be nice to have an email alert option to alert admins when certificates stored in AA are nearing expiration, or generate a log we which we can use to build Azure Alerts or feed into OMS. As of now, we had to create an AA runbook that pulls cert info on a schedule and alerts if necessary.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Email after runbook job

Is it possible to send an email of the azure runbook automation job output ?

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support for GDI+ on worker

hi all, I'm developing a runbook that generates mail with graphical content using System.Web.DataVisualization.Chart class. Since the runbook grabs data from OMS Log Analytics it is an ideal solution for an Azure worker, alas when I run the runbook I get "A generic error occurred in GDI+'. Any plan to add support for GDI in the Azure worker?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow cross-tenant Azure Automation update deployments

Previously we were able to perform cross-tenant deployments to all of the customers that we support from a centralized automation accounts in our main tenant, however this appears to no longer be the case as we received an email from the product group stating so.

We would like to continue to use this feature as we have been for several months. Managing multiple Log Analytics and Automation account resources in multiple tenants is not idea for someone who may support multiple tenants.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When executing a Runbook with switch parameters, provide a truly boolean option

When you execute a PowerShell runbook that has a Sitch parameter, you have to provide either the string "true" or the string "false" to set the value for the parameter.
    Instead, I think you should be presented with a radio button or a checkbox, Either the switch parameter is used, and thus is $true or it isn't used and the value is $false

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

17. Offer a better price on Azure Automation DSC for Azure Stack VMs

Azure Stack VMs pay the same of an AWS VM to use Azure Automation DSC while VMs on Azure have the service for free.

A better price for Azure Stack's VMs is a reward for those customers using the hybrid Microsoft's offers.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Automate the removal of TenantEncryptionCert from VMs on automation

We use automation accounts to switch VMs on and off. Now what we notice is that there are large amounts of certificates accumulated on the servers themselves. These certs accumulate over time.

We keep the servers clean and remove any obsolete/unnecessary items.
    If we need to install site-specific certificates, it’ll be in between 100s of other certificates.

Now I don’t believe we should be clearing these out manually. They should be cleaned out by some process on Microsoft’s end when the certificates get provisioned and to remove any other.

I’m sure other clients probably have the same issue. I understand…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

19. Start runbooks from Azure Mobile App

It would be nice to be able to start an Azure Automation Runbook from the Azure (android/ios) app.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Execute Native PowerShell Runbooks deployed to Azure Automation within a Workflow's InlineScript Activity

I created a StackOverflow question for this because I'm not sure if it's unsupported or if I'm doing it wrong (http://j.mp/23IaN2K).

But, assuming this is not supported, it would be a nice inclusion.

In my case, I have a native PS runbook which can't (easily, for now) be converted to workflow, but is required by other runbooks which have already been converted.

My workaround for now is to copy the contents of the dependent .ps1 as a function inside the (first) InlineScript activity in each workflow, which is obviously not ideal.

There error received is:

.\child.ps1 : The…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

Currently it is unsupported to call a PS script from a PS Workflow and vice-versa in Automation. What you can do right now is use Start-AzureRmAutomationRunbook to start runbooks of different type. This will asynchronously start a runbook.

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base