Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Automation

Azure Automation allows you to automate the creation, monitoring, deployment, and maintenance of resources in your Azure environment using a highly-available workflow execution engine. Orchestrate time-consuming, error-prone, and frequently repeated tasks against Azure and third party systems to decrease time to value for your cloud operations.

Visit the Automation page to learn more about Automation and how to get started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Schedule exclusions

It would be nice to be able to exclude specific dates from schedules. For instance one might want to schedule a runbook every Friday of the month except on Friday 13th or if the Monday of the month is the 1st of that month. (like we could do in Orchestrator)

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow monitoring runbooks like orchestrator

Allow for "monitoring" runbooks like orchestrator does, without minutes charge or provide this only for hybrid workers. It makes no sense in running runbooks 24 hours waiting for a condition before the actual magic starts and being charged for the entire day.
    Having this option free of charge on hybrid workers would be a great improvement, since we pay for the computer onprem this makes sense.

Without this option it is a half solution where we need to run scripts or on prem solution to monitor for a condition and after this send out the webhook call which than again…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable scheduling for AKS cluster shutdown.

Customers has confirmed a need to have an option to schedule AKS clusters resources to be shutdown and started.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. startup

why not to add "startup" function instad of only "shutdown" in VM manager?

I can use automation, but almost run error. it's too hard to use. I hope new feature of "auto start up" VM for the next times.

Thank you!

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking at simplifying the automation scripts used for starting and shutting down VMs in your subscription so hopefully that will make it easier to use. We will update with the status here once we have a solution in place.
    Thanks for the feedback.

5. Option to remove onetime schedule when completed

I have a runbook that schedules itself to run again one hour after it completes. It does this by creating a onetime schedule. The reason for doing this rather than using a regular (i.e. not a onetime) schedule is to prevent the runbook from starting while the previous job is still running (I discussed this approach with Joe Levy here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/06f1b011-1fe2-4a3a-a0a3-88256f83a3ea/can-i-prevent-multiple-instances-of-the-same-runbook-from-running-concurrently?forum=azureautomation)

Unfortunately this means that my Assets screen becomes littered with expired onetime schedules (22 or 23 every day) and there's no simple way to go and clean them all up.

Hence this request is for an option on…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Beth Cooper responded

That’s an interesting idea – thanks for the feedback. We can look into it.

In the meantime, you could probably work around this. I’m not exactly sure what your runbook looks like, but it might make sense to create the schedule with the same name each time, then when the runbook starts again to delete that schedule, then to create it again at the end.

6. Visualise schedules in a calendar view

Display historic runbook executions like a calendar appointment to visualise runbook executions that might occur at the same time. Future executions could be displayed using historic average runtime or default values to illustrate possible future scheduling conflicts.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base